Defensive Carry banner

Multiple Carry Pieces

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  grady 
#1 ·
So - quick question:

My former EDC was a SA XD45 - the "Service" model, ie: full size grip. I love having the idea of .45ACP as a CC but the handle printed significantly whenever I'd bend over or reach for something. About 6 months ago, I picked up the SA XD9 SC and it has become my year-round carry piece. Only people who know I carry notice it and only if they look for it. At least as far as I know.

So my question - Does anyone carry a service XD for CC? I really miss having the .45 on my hip. What's your rig? I use a crossbreed supertuck but with full size grips, I print.

I'm about 5'9"-5'10" and about 205-210 (depending on lunch), solidly built (no gut-yet. Just turned 30 so maybe soon!).

Andy

#4 ·
Yes--I carry a SA XD .40c

Hi Andy!

I carry a SA XD .40c in a OWB Galco holster as my EDC. I live in Phoenix (translation: warm weather almost year-round) and primarily wear silk button-down shirts over a t-shirt. I wear everywhere and speak to large groups a lot. (I am a pastor and part-time professor) I have been made only once, and that was because I chose a t-shirt that I knew better than to wear while CCing. :mad: I knew better, so my fault there.

So you can carry the compact; it's all about where. I tend to carry at 9-10 O'clock (I shoot lefty) and have very little difficulty concealing; I am 5'10" 205. No pics yet (soon I promise :)). I must admit that I am trying to talk my wife into letting me buy a SA XD .40sc for even better concealment, but she wants a Bersa Thunder .380 for herself first. Hard to argue with that logic!

Hope it helps a little.

#5 ·
I carry my service XD-9 everyday. I'm 5'10" 365 and use an Uncle Mikes IWB holster. Works quite well.

#7 ·
I would look into the XD 45 compact.

If you like a service gun at the range you can just use the larger magazine and then you get the full grip, put in the 10 round magazine and you have a compact for your carry.

Also if you get the compact your old holsters will still work with your gun.

#8 ·
When you choose to carry you have to change your clothing style and sizing ideas. That's just part of sticking something in your waistband. Personally I carry a full size XD in a galco IWB summer special and do just fine, same with my USPC and my 1911. Might want to try moving it somewhere else along your belt line as well.

#10 ·
Not an XD but I carry FS M&P9 or 40 year around in IWB and never print. In summer I wear shorts and tee shirt.

I'm 5'7" @ 154 30 inch waist. Wear bigger tee shirts in summer.

As stated above you need to dress correctly if you carry.

#11 ·
Does anyone carry a service XD for CC?
I carry an XD-45 compact, sometimes with the short mag and sometimes with the large mag, which makes the compact the same size as your service.

What's your rig?
When I wear a Bluegrass Mason-Dixon with extreme forward cant, worn in the appendix area, I can conceal the full mag.

Other times I carry in a large-holster SmartCarry, full mag or short mag, depending on clothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.