Buying New Carry Piece.

This is a discussion on Buying New Carry Piece. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was considering the Xd40 or the XDm40 was also considering the Xd45. Any hindsight or things to consider? There around 430$ for the xd40 here, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying New Carry Piece.

Buying New Carry Piece.

Was considering the Xd40 or the XDm40 was also considering the Xd45.

Any hindsight or things to consider? There around 430$ for the xd40 here, not sure for the Xdm or the 45.

Had a glock 22 before, seems like it was a little big to carry comfortably im 5'8" 190lbs and i felt the Glock 23 today and the finger grooves didnt seem to fit my fingers very well. But the xd seemed to feel nice. Also felt the new S&w MP and didnt like how they felt in my hand.

Heres the Dilemma, I still have my holster and magazine pouch, plus a buncha clips and ammo for my 22 which was stolen, so i was wondering if i should stick with .40 or goto the .45 like ive always wanted. Just requires me having to buy a buncha new ammo, and holsters and clips if i go anything but a 40, or new glock.

I guess it all really comes down to what i want to do, just sometimes reading your input on this site helps put my mind at ease.

2. Remove Ads

Ah, now is the time to get something new man..Sorry to hear about the loss of the 22..bummer.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

I can't help you with the Glock vs. XD, but if you go XD45, I recommend the compact. The small mag helps you conceal it better, and the large mag results in the same size as the XD45 service.

I'm looking at the XDM .40 myself. It's pretty big. Some can conceal it easily, and some can't. I haven't compared the specs, but I don't think the XDM is smaller than the Glock 22.

My only other recommendation is whichever one you buy, gets all the mags now that you think you'll want for several years.

I'm 5'9" and 160lbs. I have carried a full size HK45 concealed, comfortably and it's much larger than your G22. I have also carried a G17, which is exactly the same as the G22 only 9mm not .40. I did so in shorts with a t-shirt, using an IWB rig. Nothing fancy and it was easy to do so.

Anyhow, my recommendation is go back to the Glock. You're already familiar with the trigger, and you have lots of gear for it already. I am not a fan of the XD trigger and to be perfectly honest the grip safety is a joke. I mean, in my mind a Glock has no grip safety but is perfectly safe as long as you don't touch the trigger. There's no need for anything extra and as soon as I hold the gun whether my finger is on the trigger or not, the grip safety is disengaged. To me it doesn't do anything except sell to people in the mindset that a Glock is not a safe gun *shrug*. That's just how I feel about that, anyhow I am a Glock fan so that's my recommendation. The Glock also has a shorter reset out of the box so i find that follow up shots are faster for me.

The XDm is a bit larger than the G22 but not by much. The XD is about the same size as the G22 overall and would conceal the same. If you looked at them side by side by side you'd see that there isn't a whole lot of difference regardless of what the measurement says.

note: I am not bashing the XD, I'm just stating a personal opinion about the grip safety and I believe it to not be very useful when you already have the passave internal safeties and the trigger safety.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Stick with a Glock, you're already set up for, and have some experience with them.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    You could always buy a Glock 23, and still use the G22 magazines. I have the XD45 Service and I'm happy with it, and it happens to be my 2nd XD45. I am not a big .40 caliber fan myself, so I stick with 9mm and .45 as both have manageable recoil. I can handle the .40, but just the snappiness I dislike, and my shot groups go all over with the 40. Anyway, go with what you feel best suits your needs. Glocks and XDs are both great pistols.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Shoot both and then decide. I naturally point the XD better than the Glock. The grip angles are different enough to make a big difference.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

JD
    Administrator
    A friend just payed about $630ish with tax in South East MI, so you're looking at spending more money. Size wise the XDM and the G22 are pretty close.

Given you all ready have some Glock gear, I would go Glock, you can always A: Buy an older, used Glock without the finger grooves or B. Have them removed.

If you decide to go the cheaper route with the regular XD as opposed to the XDM, I echo the advice re: the XD45 Compact as you mentioned that you had concealment issues with the G22.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    note: I am not bashing the XD, I'm just stating a personal opinion about the grip safety and I believe it to not be very useful when you already have the passave internal safeties and the trigger safety.
    Based on what I have read about it, Plaxico Burress's ND in NYC would not have happened with an XD. The grip safety would have made the difference.

So i went and tried out the Glock 22 and 23 again today, tried out the Xd 40, and the XD45 compact, and the S&W M&P 45 compact.. just to see how they all felt again.I Really like how the .45 M&P compact feels actually, the more i hold it, And i really like how the small frame glock 21 felt... now im in a mess..

I dont know what it is about the XD that i started not liking but something changed my mind.Its pretty much come down to the, Glock 21,and the M&P 45 compact, but as far as concealing the 21 goes i think id have a problem. Its just a tough decision to make having so many good firearms to choose from.So yeah i guess im getting away from the .40, guess ill just sell the hi cap mags here in a couple months and trade in the boxes of unused .40 for some .45 then.

Thanks for all the input from everyone, im still stuck in a rut, on the good side Glock 21 is 529$ brand new and the s&w is only like 549$ with 50$ mail in rebate!so there pretty affordable, i wish i could get both!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Van55 View Post
    Based on what I have read about it, Plaxico Burress's ND in NYC would not have happened with an XD. The grip safety would have made the difference.
    A brain would have made a difference too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah Plax just made an idiot out of himself. BTW...stick with Glock. You won't be sorry. I will admit readily had the XDm came out before the Glock i would probably own one today. Handled one last week and it is a sweet feel in the hand and the trigger is really sweet. But stick with Glock much cheaper overall for you and you already know the manual of arms.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A brain would have made a difference too.
    Quite so. But my point is that the XD grip safety is at least marginally more idiot-proof than the Glock trigger "safety."

THe are all good pick what makes you feel better!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Check out the Walther PPS in .40 . I have both the .40 and the 9mm and I absolutely love carrying it because it is so thin it literally disappears into your clothes. Very well made German workmanship too. It is definitely worth the look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links