Don't Be a Doofuss - - Check Your Weapon!

This is a discussion on Don't Be a Doofuss - - Check Your Weapon! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Confession time, Brethren (and Sistern, if that's a word, and maybe even if it isn't). I went to the range today, which, as always, was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't Be a Doofuss - - Check Your Weapon!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

Don't Be a Doofuss - - Check Your Weapon!

Confession time, Brethren (and Sistern, if that's a word, and maybe even if it isn't).

I went to the range today, which, as always, was loads of fun. But I have an embarrassing cautionary tale.

I got a Colt New Agent a while back. I posted about it, and how I really like it.

I head to the range to shoot. Unload the carry ammo, put in a magazine full of range ammo. Rack the slide, flick down the thumb safety, press that crisp Colt trigger and "BANG!". Very satisfying.

But there is only one "bang", 'cause the slide stays all the way back. "A jam?", I think? Re-rack.

Same thing.

As it turns out, a Colt New Agent, like a Colt Defender and (correct me if I am wrong), a Colt Officer's 1911 has two recoil springs. An inner recoil spring and an outer recoil spring.

My outer recoil spring is gone. Poof. Nowhere to be found. I must not have put it back in (or, at the very least not put it back in properly) the last time I reassembled the gun after my last range trip.

Not good.

I am a little miffed that I am without the weapon while I go about acquiring another spring. It's frustrating and inconvenient.

But that's not why I am posting. As much as I appreciate you, my friends, helping me cry in my beer, I post for a more serious purpose.

I had that gun on me umpteen times since my last (all too infrequent) trip to the range. And I trusted it absolutely and positively.

And that's the problem. If I had NEEDED it, it would have been a one-shot wonder.

And that's very serious business.

So MAKE SURE your equipment is how it's supposed to be, every time you carry it. Not just when you leave the house or go on a trip or whatnot.

EVERY TIME you carry it. Period.

I am still a little scared about what could have happened, and I am more than a little angry at my careless complacency.

Check it out, friends. Every time. Because you don't get a second chance when the SHTF.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

2. Remove Ads

This is one of the reasons I carry two guns: because something unexpected might happen and my EDC may not fire when I need it.

I have a friend who religiously fires his weapons after he cleans them just to make sure something like your example doesn't happen. Of course it's easier for him to do that since he lives out in the country. I can't step out in the subdivision and fire a few rounds off, unless I want to spend a few hours at the police station and then later explain my actions to the judge.

Thanks for your honesty. Every time I read of such instances, either similar to yours or an AD/ND, I'm a little more careful for a time.

My guess is you'll never make that mistake again.

Great post, great share. No ego.

thanks for the honesty, Just serves as a reminder to take your time and pay attention to the details.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

That could not be a tougher thing to admit here. I am glad your enough of a stand up guy to do so however. It serves as a good reminder to all of us, and it was a situation to make sure you are not relaxed in the future. Everyone who has read your post now will have this in the back of their heads.
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. "
    Best words of wisdom from my Master Emperor Palpatine

Thanks for sharing.

I used to carry a J frame because I was always afraid something like that might happen w/ a semi auto. Now I carry a Glock 26. I'm not too worried about losing a part but I am a bit worried about it not working when its needed. I think its time to start carrying a backup.

This must be why Clint Smith says "2 is 1 and 1 is none"
    Question Everything!

Quote Originally Posted by georgewain View Post
    I used to carry a J frame because I was always afraid something like that might happen w/ a semi auto. Now I carry a Glock 26. I'm not too worried about losing a part but I am a bit worried about it not working when its needed. I think its time to start carrying a backup.
    You're worried about a GLOCK 26 not working? You must have a lot of time...

Quote Originally Posted by georgewain View Post
    This must be why Clint Smith says "2 is 1 and 1 is none"
    Somehow, I don't think that Clint Smith was commenting on badly maintaining, by removing critical parts, one's personal defense firearm. I could be wrong, though.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    That took alot of guts to admit in a public forum but, Hey!, we are only human and mistakes can be made. You make a good point about checking the operation of your trusted friend. A function check wouldnt have revealed a missing spring.

When I clean my guns I have a small white plastic tray that I place all the pieces in while cleaning and a simple visual inventory can be made. Sometimes my tray has solvent to let them soak. Its very easy to get distracted while cleaning a gun ... phone rings, baby cries, dog barks or your team makes a touch down. Do the best you can, function check the weapon and be as positive as possible that you have reassembled correctly. Still, you never know until you pull the trigger. Geez, now ya got me thinking about mine.

Thanks for sharing, sure glad you found out at the range and not in an SD situation.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    Thanks for the post. Good reminded to make sure you pay close attention when disassembling and reassembling your weapons.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

After I clean my guns I like to shoot one magazine of my carry ammo through them prior to trusting them if they are "bottomfeeders".

This is for "post cleaning carry" not to ensure reliability with my carry ammo, which requires 200 malfunction-free rounds before I'll trust any gun or ammo combo with my life.

In short, I usually have a "dirty" gun in my holster.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    After I clean my guns I like to shoot one magazine of my carry ammo through them prior to trusting them if they are "bottomfeeders".

This is for "post cleaning carry" not to ensure reliability with my carry ammo, which requires 200 malfunction-free rounds before I'll trust any gun or ammo combo with my life.

In short, I usually have a "dirty" gun in my holster.

Biker
    Sounds like a good policy, one which I might adopt. If so, a bore snake down the pipe would go a long way to "re-cleaning" without disassembly. That and a wipe down of surfaces such as the throat and breechface might get it back to 90% clean...
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Great post. I just went to the range yesterday and had a similar revelation. I have a Kahr MK9 that I used to EDC. I'd shot 500+ rounds thru it when knew of plain ball ammo and then about 100 rounds of Speer Gold Dot jhp's to prove my carry ammo. It never had a hiccup. Then I bought a Colt New Agent 45 and that became my EDC. So I rarely carried my MK9 anymore but did. Well yesterday I shot my mag and had a FTF after the first round and then again on the 4th and 5th round. I reloaded and the rest fired perfectly. Still not sure what happend. The gun just sat in a safe and was only carried once or twice but now I need to go back and "prove" it again. Makes me think it "dried" out and that's why it hung up.

I've read from many of you that you clean and lube your carry guns on a regular basis. I'm beginning to think that's a good idea.

Now this post plus my own experience makes me think I need to be more careful about the reliability of my EDC.

It also makes me understand the confidence carrying a revolver can give you!

Again, excellent post and thanks for sharing as I have the same gun

Thanks for sharing. You may have saved a life.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post

I have a friend who religiously fires his weapons after he cleans them just to make sure something like your example doesn't happen. Of course it's easier for him to do that since he lives out in the country. I can't step out in the subdivision and fire a few rounds off, unless I want to spend a few hours at the police station and then later explain my actions to the judge.
    to solve this problem, clean your guns at the range or in the field after shooting, then take a couple rounds. the plus side to this is a test fire and less time with the wife
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; February 19th, 2009 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
    "Manners are good when one may have to back up his actions with his life" Robert Heinlein"

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Well, I've made arrangements to sell it.

It's a fine weapon, and I won't lose much money on it (if any), but if I can't or won't do what needs to be done to keep it the way it needs to be, I ought to get something else.

Like a revolver.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links