Old Favorite Gets Back Starting Job

This is a discussion on Old Favorite Gets Back Starting Job within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have posted before about my experience with Taurus revolvers. Some people don't like them for various reasons. My opinion is that they're OK if ...

Thread: Old Favorite Gets Back Starting Job

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

Old Favorite Gets Back Starting Job

I have posted before about my experience with Taurus revolvers. Some people don't like them for various reasons. My opinion is that they're OK if you don't mind being without them every once in a while.

I have one in particular: a model 415 .41 Mag. I don't know what it is about the gun, but I can shoot it accurately and I can carry it easily. Given my small hands, aversion to recoil and fondness for small, light guns, that is surprising. But it's true.

The only problem with the 415, though, is that it shoots itself loose every once in a while. I try to be understanding: it's a small, light platform for a heavy-duty round. It's powerful, and I can shoot the doggoned thing. So I make allowances.

The last time it shot itself loose I sent it off to Taurus, and resolved to sell it as soon as it returned.

But I just couldn't do it. It feels good in my hand, is easy to carry (for me, anyway), is powerful, and, I may have mentioned, I can shoot it well enough to surprise me.

Besides that, I have something like 1,000 rounds of .41 mag ammo, too.

So I didn't sell it.

Took to the range today and it shot like a dream (200 or so 210-grain rounds). I just shot the snot out of it. I was bouncing plastic water bottles and bowling pins all over the place, at distances from 25to 50 yards. Consistently. Accurately. Etc., & etc.

So, with my previously-posted problem regarding my New Agent, the 415 is back in my pocket (yeah, I pocket carry it - - I get pants with deep pockets and have a Mika pocket holster for it).

It's won back its starting job - - it held the "primary carry" title for a long time and now looks like it will hold it again, at least from time to time.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Maybe you ought to buy another, so you can carry one while the other is at Taurus wearing out the lifetime warranty.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ya know, Sixto, I've seen one in a local shop, and that isn't all that bad an idea!

Guys who have AK-47's and SKS's have been known to just buy new guns when theirs go down. I know it's the approach I'd take with my Mosins, but I've never been able to make one of them not work. Some of 'em aren't too accurate, but MAN they will work.

Maybe the same idea applies here....

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I understand you shoot the firearm well, but that is just one of many qualifiers that should be taken into account for a carry gun IMHO. Reliability is a MUST, and a gun you are sending in agian and again does not sound reliable to me. I would re-evaluate you carry gun criteria before strapping this bad boy on again; as for plinking, well plink away.

YMMV
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Silence:

My rational mind agrees with you. I think Sixto was probably making the same point, too.

100% reliability is a hard thing to come by sometimes, but you're right. In my history of handgun ownership, I've only had a few that were REALLY 100 percenters (my XD-45 qualifies, as does my SC-1911...so did a Sig P239 a few years ago) - -and they, strangely enough, are autos, not revolvers.

I've had a lot of others come close, but that's not enough. I've even a had doggoned Ruger revolver not be a 100-percenter, which surprised me a lot.

I might add that I am pretty hard (read: abusive) on equipment. But that shouldn't make any difference. It should work.

Angry

So use a reliable gun for SD and the Taurus to shoot for recreation where a malfunction isn't the end. In a real need that Taurus crap isn't worth much. Just think, if you and your XD are run over by a tank the tank driver can jump down, pick it up and expect it to fire away
    Doesn't that just gladden your heart!
    If it was a Taurus there wouldn't be enough lefy to send back to the factory. I once drove a pinto and I've owned two Tauri...very similar items in some ways.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    I think Sixto was probably making the same point, too.
    I was.

I don't have an issue with using it as a range or even a sock drawer gun, but I wouldnt even consider carrying it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

That is why my Glock gets the call 98% of the time. I just cant make it stop. I have tried trust me. My friends have lost many a bet with me and my ways to try and get it to stop. It just keeps humming. That is the kind of thing I want riding on my side when I go into a sketchy scen in a house or what not...dealing with those of nefarious character ( I'm a probation officer) or even on a trip to the Wal Mart. Reliability is paramount.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Yeah, I got rid of it.

Common sense prevailed.

Looking at rock-solid revolvers now. And they're not as easy to find as you might think.

There's a police supply store here that had a pretty good selection of used (some very used) Smiths a few months ago.

I'll take a look-see over there tomorrow.

Links