PM9/PM40 did they give YOU trouble?

This is a discussion on PM9/PM40 did they give YOU trouble? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a PM and had nothing but trouble and traded it for another gun. I read another post today about trouble with a PM9 ...

View Poll Results: Did Your PM9-PM40 Give You Troubles?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 25.45%
  • No

41 74.55%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM9/PM40 did they give YOU trouble?

I had a PM and had nothing but trouble and traded it
    for another gun.
    I read another post today about trouble with a PM9
    and the poster was blasted by others for even
    posting his issues with this gun MFG.
    They said he did not read the manual?
    Or he did not clean it ?
    Also that people post just to complain about a gun
    without learning to use it , and that the was to be
    allowed to give trouble because it small?

OK , so here is my point,how many people have had
    trouble with Kahr guns here?

I don't need the details, just did it work like you think
    a $450 to $600 gun should?
    Because mine did not, and I just saw someone get
    BLASTED for saying so.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

JD
    Administrator
    I added a poll to make it a little easier to see the numbers...

I had a PM40, never had a lick of trouble but traded it away on a rifle as while I liked the gun, I wasn't a big fan of the .40.

I've been thinking of retiring my Colt .380s and getting a Kahr Mk9-Pm9-or P380, unlike other brands, I have not been left feeling sour toward Kahr.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the poll JD
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Never had any issues. I am using it as designed. Will be getting another soon.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Administrator
    I have a first generation PM9. I've never had a single issue with it. Ever. Its been through several years worth of qualifications and a few pocket pistol combat classes, and even a SWAT class I took for fun. I've carried it daily for 6 years now. Before that, I had a P9 covert, and a K9. No problems with them either.

I have a couple of points to make;

First, the other guy in the other thread wasnt blasted for saying he had a problem with the Kahr. He was blasted for stating that he did exactly what the owners book says not to, and then complained that the gun was unreliable.

Second, the Kahr is not a rookie's gun. You do have to know what you are doing to run them, this is true of any light weight pistol out there. The Kahrs are very much a light weight pistol chambered in a heavy cartridge... this isnt a good mix when given to a newer shooter or one that doesnt want to follow directions.

Third, almost every issue I've read about on forums or seen myself has been a result of operator error or junky ammo. I know the reply to ammo issues is that it should run on any ammo or with any operator its given; I say this... It's not a Glock. Its a high quality pocket pistol with tight tolerances designed for a very specific task or mission. It should'nt have to run on junk ammo or with a poor operator. To get what makes a Kahr a Kahr, some things have to be that way. If you can't supply the proper elements to make the gun work for you, perhaps you should stick with a platform that you can. Blasting what is an excellent gun in most cases only shows ignorance about the topic at hand, because to those who know better, 90% of the complaints read here are clearly operator error.

Fourth, I like to see a different poll between the PM40 and 9.

I guess I make an open ended offer, If anybody wants to unload their "broken" Kahr. Let me know. I have cash.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for your reply Sixto
    I posted this to get a clear view for the true numbers
    for Kahr owners that like or dislike the gun.
    Opinions of people are one thing, but numbers harder
    to argue with.

My PM9 has proven to be extremely finicky with several different kinds of ammunition. Even after 300 rounds it sometimes jams hard on releasing the slide to chamber the first round (as per Mfr. instructions). The nose of the round just jams against the bottom of the feed ramp.

I am disappointed that a gun this good looking and easy to carry and not inexpensive is so... "difficult."

My vote in the poll was "yes."

Mine has been perfect for about 600 rounds now. It's soooo easy to carry, if something happened to it, it would get replaced as soon as possible, with another PM9, of course.

Van55, you need to call Kahr, and give them a chance to make it right.
    Yo Macklin, great party, but no whiskey. We go home now.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    ASSA9, first let me clarify my words in the other post, as you have misconstrued them in your initial post. I did not say that it
    ...was to be allowed to give trouble because it small...
    What I said was
    The PM9 is on the edge of size/caliber engineering capabilites IMHO, and the little gun earns a right to be a bit more finicky than the average handgun.
    By "be a bit more finicky", I did not mean it should be "allowed to give trouble". So please don't put words in my mouth. What I meant was, it earns the right to require certain things of the operator, such as chambering by release of the slide release as per the manufacturers instructions which the person who was (not) "attacked" in that thread refused to do because he "wouldn't have time in a gunfight". It also IMHO earns the right to be finicky in requiring that it be kept clean and well and properly lubed. Just as a Ferrari is liable to run like crap if not kept properly tuned/maintained. It is a high maintenance machine. But few others will perform it's task as well as it does.

I've had a few failures with my PM9. But the gun had already fired over 100 rounds that session. And it was pretty dry to begin with. I need to wring it out some more, but with proper lube and operation, I expect very little trouble from it. If there is, I'll deal with it. I do hear they have great customer service. Hope not to need to verify that.

Either way, I understand the limitations of the platform. As Sixto said, it's not a Glock. But then, if my Glock 26 fit in my front pocket nearly as well as my P3AT (like the PM9 does), I wouldn't be having this discussion....

BTW, really like your avatar. That's one cool cat.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

MY PM9 has been reliable since day one. it was very tight and difficult to rack, but has smoothed up nicely. I love the size and weight. Mine is a later version and I presume all the bugs had been worked out by then. But, I love it. I actually shot it as my main gun in an IDPA match. Worked flawlessly thru about 120 rounds that day. It was cold as snot. It's my EDC. I use a Don Hume JIT slide holster.
    Every day's a holiday and every meal's a feast!

RetiredMajor
    NRA Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Yes, barrel peening at 150-170 rounds.

It made a round trip to Kahr in about 2 weeks. I burned 300 rounds through it the first weekend back. I blasted it with Gun Scrubber, punched the barrel a few times, and liberally oiled it after each 50. I got and broke a blister on my trigger finger from the inside of the trigger guard - Gun Scrubber stings!

I have had zero problems since its return. I keep it well lubed/wet. It is carried every day.

ETA

I would buy another Kahr. I will consider the .380 when fielded, if my wallet can handle it. I also recommend a PM9 when someone is looking for a small pistol.

I have both a PM9 and CW9, several hundred rounds through each, no problems that weren't a result of my own stupidity or failure to RTFM. I carry my CW9 daily, without any reservations. (I'd carry the PM9 daily, but I dont' have room for two guns!)

There are lemons in every line of goods. If one chooses to post about such lemons, they should be prepared to defend their statements. It's like this here, on epinions, and on any other site where folks with axes to grind vent their frustrations. It's just the nature of the beast.
    Last edited by brianko; December 30th, 2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typo
    A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
    Pro-2A, anti-NRA, GOA life member, JPFO

I have a PM9 that rejected a recoil spring assembly when the spring stretched. It caused a few other problems but Kahr fixed it better then new and for free. Even did a few improvements on it while it was visiting home.

I carry it as much as possible and would buy another Kahr, I am planning on getting a P380 at least.

It had 300-350 rounds through itwhen it failed and has over 1000 now.
    Last edited by ChuglyXJ; December 30th, 2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added

I've never had any problems with mine - I just keep it very cleaned and it works like a charm every time I go to the range. It's the firearm I bet my life on in the event I ever need it.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuglyXJ View Post
    I have a PM9 that rejected a recoil spring assembly when the spring stretched. It caused a few other problems but Kahr fixed it better then new and for free. Even did a few improvements on it while it was visiting home.

I carry it as much as possible and would buy another Kahr, I am planning on getting a P380 at least.

It had 300-350 rounds through itwhen it failed and has over 1000 now.
    How did the spring stretch?

I counted two posts saying they have had trouble, but ten poll votes saying the same. I tend to think that those who have had issues would like to tell the world about it, vs. the guy who hasnt had any issues and not much of a story to tell.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links