Looking at a .357 subbie from Tarus/Rossi

This is a discussion on Looking at a .357 subbie from Tarus/Rossi within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to find a economy priced .357 2-3 inch barrel. I would like to do this so I can also but a used ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PM [OP]

I would like to find a economy priced .357 2-3 inch barrel. I would like to do this so I can also but a used 9mm autoloader and not have the wife use one or both when she see I ended up with two guns instead of the one. Oh yeah I may be going to a gun show on Saturday. If there are other 357s in the price range that I have not thought of that are good/reliable I would love to know.

This will help you w/lots of useful information about Taurus® & Rossi® revolvers: Taurus Armed.net - Index
    Last edited by dawei; December 29th, 2008 at 09:09 PM.

Sports Academy sells both .38 and .357 from Rossi.

The .38 is around $250 and the .357 is $300 dollars..both are
    snubbies with a 2 in barrel. They do also have a .357 with a 6
    inch barrel too. Its a lot more expensive

If you have not fired .357 Magnum in a Snubbie, I suggest you do so before buying one.

It could very well change your mind. The smallest and lightest gun I will willingly fire .357 Magnum from is the Ruger SP101 with a 2 1/4" Barrel.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If you have not fired .357 Magnum in a Snubbie, I suggest you do so before buying one.

It could very well change your mind. The smallest and lightest gun I will willingly fire .357 Magnum from is the Ruger SP101 with a 2 1/4" Barrel.

Biker
    Excellent advice. I'm in complete agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Excellent advice. I'm in complete agreement.
    Add one more who agrees.

VIP Member
    Yes it will kick some and you will feel it. No, you won't notice it when your life is on the line.

My Rossi with an El Paso Saddlery holster
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I have a Rossi 461 (blued, 2 inch barrel, .357), Not as nice fit and finish as a Smith, but it gets the job done jest fine. Fairly accurate too for what it is. It is kind of big for CC, although due to weight of the weapon and the grips, recoil isn't too bad, although still snappy.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    I have a Taurus 605 .357 with a 2" barrel.

It is fun with .357's I usually carry .38 +P's in it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I just shot my .357 snubbie with 25 (five reloads).357 rounds by Taurus Sunday morning at the range. It is really accurate! It has a kick but nothing unmanageable. To put in it perspective in amount of recoil IMO-from least to most. Kimber Ultra Carry II .45, Ruger SR9 9MM, Taurus 1911 .45, S&W 638 .38, Taurus Snubbie .357, Taurus Judge shooting 3 inch .410 shells with 4 shot. That's the list of guns I own and shoot regularly. I also own a S&W 500 but don't shoot it- I leave it to my husband. :)

Quote Originally Posted by ccmama View Post
    I just shot my .357 snubbie with 25 (five reloads).357 rounds by Taurus Sunday morning at the range. It is really accurate! It has a kick but nothing unmanageable. To put in it perspective in amount of recoil IMO-from least to most. Kimber Ultra Carry II .45, Ruger SR9 9MM, Taurus 1911 .45, S&W 638 .38, Taurus Snubbie .357, Taurus Judge shooting 3 inch .410 shells with 4 shot. That's the list of guns I own and shoot regularly. I also own a S&W 500 but don't shoot it- I leave it to my husband. :)
    Try shooting your .357 snubbie with some Remington 125 Grain SJHP's.

I suspect you are shooting the "mild" or mid-range load and not the "full house" load of fame. There is nothing wrong with that ma'am, but when I consider a .357 Magnum for carry purposes it gets loaded with one of three loads, and none of them are mid-range.

Go to Walmart and pick up a "value pack" of Remington .357 Magnum SJHP's in a 100 Round box. That will be the load from yesterday. It gets 1450 fps out of a 4" Barrel with enough muzzle blast to light a cigar 12' from the end of the barrel.

Biker

Actually my husband bought the ammo at Walmart. It was the "full house" load- as the other was not available-we really wanted the lesser load because my father in law was going to shoot it and WANTED the .357 loads- not .38 special like I suggested. BTW our Walmart is one of the few that still sell ammo.

I think recoil is VERY subjective. Originally I wasn't going to buy my UC II because I read a review about "it kicked like a mule". But after taking my CCW course with an Airweight snubbie- a steel frame .357 Taurus didn't feel so bad.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    First, I'd also consider a charter arms if you're going to consider a Rossi.

2ndly, I like the idea of a .357 snubbie "IF" it's all stainless so that there's some weight to soak up some of the recoil.

3rd, there's a WIDE range of .357 out there from just a step up from a regular .38 to ones that give you a harsh pounding with each shot.

I think a Ruger with the short barrel and bobbed hammer would be a great .357 snub. I have the 3" version and it's great w/.357 and I love the versatility of loading it up with .38's which are pure pleasure to shoot out of it.

I do think .357 out of the airweights are plain harsh for me and I agree that recoil is very subjective in the way we feel it and respond to it. I shoot a 3" .45 acp Colt New Agent and feel it recoils a lot less than my 642 J frame with hot +p loads.

If you want to carry in the pocket then a heavy steel gun is problematic and if you carry a stainless snubby on the waist you have to ask yourself if you shouldn't carry something with more capacity? But I for one am all for carrying a snubbie on the waist if that's what you like, can shoot well, are comfortable with and will in fact carry.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmama View Post
    Actually my husband bought the ammo at Walmart. It was the "full house" load- as the other was not available-we really wanted the lesser load because my father in law was going to shoot it and WANTED the .357 loads- not .38 special like I suggested. BTW our Walmart is one of the few that still sell ammo.

I think recoil is VERY subjective. Originally I wasn't going to buy my UC II because I read a review about "it kicked like a mule". But after taking my CCW course with an Airweight snubbie- a steel frame .357 Taurus didn't feel so bad.
    I humbly stand corrected.

I forgot one important thing, recoil is subjective. I myself do not want to fire 50 Rounds of that load in anything smaller and lighter than the Ruger SP101, but we are each different.

Looking back on my post I feel that I was a bit condescending, and for that I apologise.

Biker

PM [OP]
    I am looking for something as a backup on most occations but also to be carried a primary from time to time. I may not use the term subbie correctly; I would look at up to a three inch barrel but would preferr a 2 or 2.5 for that drop in a pocket kind of thing. I carry some much stuff in a pocket that a steel framed wheel gun will not seem odd to most who know me.

The .357 rd would be a 6th hole(5th hole) rd. If you have not dropped from the first 4-5 38 rds then lets see you stand up to a 357. By the way my current carry gun is a 9mm so place me life in the hands of a 38 rd is not something that worries me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links