Ruger Revolvers Need a Thread Too

This is a discussion on Ruger Revolvers Need a Thread Too within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own exactly one Ruger revolver and have had it maybe 6 months, the stainless GP100 with the 3" barrel. I have been carrying it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Revolvers Need a Thread Too

I own exactly one Ruger revolver and have had it maybe 6 months, the stainless GP100 with the 3" barrel.

I have been carrying it a lot in the past 3 weeks because it's broken in, and I broke my XD holster and am waiting for the replacement mounting hardware to come in.

I've been carrying it in a Speed Scabbard and at first I didn't quite like this holster, but once I got used to the higher ride I decided it was just the only way to carry this gun. I also have found this is the first holster I've encountered that seems to find the slight hollow space in my torso. It hides the gun very, very well, but you've got to have good firm belt and pants to back it up.

I also had Mika's pocket holsters make a pocket holster for it. It sounds stupid, but for beer and pretzels carry it works amazingly well. Of course the gun's grip is quite visible, but my jeans pocket with the holster in it is just the perfect size. The only incovenience is having to wear something that reaches low enough to cover it up.

The gun itself I am very impressed with. This particular model is THE PERFECT SIZE, all caps on purpose, for a primary carry revolver. It points perfectly. If it was any smaller I couldn't get a three finger grip on it. The barrel is long enough to get decent performance out of loads in its chambering.

And before you even ask, I personally prefer the GP size to the SP 101 size, but I do wish I had an SP101 too in the same barrel length and caliber. As crazy as it sounds they're significantly different guns; it's like comparing a Glock 17 to a 26 (think that's the 9x19 SC someone correct me if it's not).

I think if I'd bought the SP101 I'd have wished for the GP100. Having the GP100 wets my appetite for the SP101, but not so much I must have one... it'd be like having a Leatherman Surge and wanting a Kick. You aren't in too much hurry because the one you already have does everything the other one does and more, but not the other way around.

The Ruger design has won me over, the trigger I am learning to deal with and it has gotten considerably better (still not a Smith trigger though). No damn locks and no visible MIM parts has won my approval too.

I am not about to sell of my Smiths, far from it, but having this makes me want some more Ruger products like it. I'm jonesin' for a Speed Six or Security Six now...

For the general purpose revolver I still give the nod to Smith and Wesson by a thin margin, but for a personal protection gun I'm coming to favor this one. This model with its fixed sights, carefully proportioned dimensions, and firepower capability is built for some serious work.

It also could fill a niche in some people's carry needs. I don't have to deal with bears, but some hard cast 158 grainers loaded nice and spicy would make good bear medicine.

Also, I don't know how to explain it, but this is not really a good target shooting revolver. I wouldn't want it for steel or silhouette work, but it indexes and points so quickly that if your objective is to put something on the target at speed, it performs better. The shorter sight radius I think has a lot to do with this... it's shorter than my 4" models obviously, but it's a far better sight picture than a J frame, and even without using the sights you can use the barrel itself to "point" it at the target like finger.

A final comment is that it just looks and feels good. That's highly subjective, but dang it I like what Ruger does with their revolvers. They're unique.

Downsides?

I find it difficult to carry a revolver in some clothing because the cylinder bulge and the sheer weight of the darn thing cause problems. I don't think it's actually much heavier than my XD40 at all when they're both loaded, but the center of gravity is different, and it's much thicker of course.

It's strictly a weekends carry for me, because I have to wear jeans and a proper belt to carry it well.

Still looking for the right ammo too. I love .357 L frame sized revolvers and always will, but I don't like the muzzle flash it gives in the dark. Finding a load that shoots closest to point of aim with a muzzle flash that won't blind you in the dark is a challenge, and I take it seriously because defensive shootings tend to go down in the dark.

Anyway this is a great product for anyone considering it or one like it, and it makes me drool over other Ruger offerings past and present. I may have to go hunting for Rugers later this year. I am very interested in something in .44 Magnum.

I'd add pics but am incapable at the moment.

Rugers are good. They were the only wheelies i had for a long time then colt and now a couple smiths .. With shooting rugers triggers get a lot better and on par with a smith

Ruger doesnt use MIM parts they cast everything Pinetree castin's is Ruger and they make a lot of 1911 parts used to make Caspian frames still might Make them ..

Which in turn mean the Sig frames are really made by Ruger ..lol

That 2 3/4 inch Police Service Six in 357 Mag (the Postal Inspectors' sidearm) works very well for me.........stainless also......bought it for about 150.00........about a couple months agon.....
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Assistant Administrator
    No pics Euc - shame on ya!!

Yep - the Rugers are real toughies. My son (with regret) traded his 6" GP to be able to get his 637 carry snub - the 6" is IMO quite ''target/silhouette'' viable - the 3" is just a tad on short side - and short sight base etc.

Well - I'd also like a GP but, do like the SP very much and with CT's it is a great snub. It is a tad heavy but it certainly makes hot loads easier than lightweights.

If you want a 44 mag later Euc - an SRH will do you fine - I like long tubes but you can get much shorter too.

Pic's time -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh and - don't forget - for a fun SA revo in .22 - the Single Six is nice!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

SRH looks nice, but their single actions tempt me too. I don't really shoot .44 Magnum double action very much, .44 Special yes but not .44 Magnum.

Well ok how about 454 Casull

41 Mag Super Blackhawk Hunter

Ruger Vaquero 45 Colt

So dont have pics of the 357 50th flattop
    357 police service 6
    p-90
    or the 44 SRH

Assistant Administrator
    Darn it Euc - I quite forget, now you mention SA - how could I forget!

Chris - P95

Chris you actually shot the 454 with the stock grips? if so brave man

Assistant Administrator
    Yep sure did - and funny ya know, I was gonna swap with the 44 or just get another set of Hogues but - I find the stock grips just fine.

I will still try a transplant tho if I remember - just to try out Hogues. I must say this grip from Ruger is quite an improvement on the wee little side panels I had on my original Redhawk!!
    Chris - P95

I didnt like the grips for the 454 and found the pac soak up the recoil better than the old hogues on the 454 ..

Have hogues on my 44 now you can get new hogues that are same design as on 500 smith and the 454 alaskan boy do they feel different and really soak up the recoil

Assistant Administrator
    Any source Bud for these newer ones - I was not aware of them - could be time to try 'em out.

Any link or name or product #?

I gotta quit soon - later ............
    Chris - P95

Part # is 80020 you can order them from Hogue at getgrip.com

Assistant Administrator
    Great - thx fella -I'm outa here.
    Chris - P95

I once had the opportunity to pick up a GP100 that was a SAO bobbed hammer service pistol. They only wanted like 300 bones for it. I opted for my 5906 and while I stand by my decision, I still would love to have that .357 mag too..... IMO great feeling gun.
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

I'm another Ruger fan. I've got a 4" Security-six that was already old when I bought it about 7 years ago, I've put at least 10,000 rounds through it (probably 60% of which have been magnum loads) and it just gets better and better.
    A 4" GP and a 3" SP are on my "want" list.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links