Just purchased a used SIG. 239 .40...and need some help

This is a discussion on Just purchased a used SIG. 239 .40...and need some help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, This is my first post and a very helpful website. I have been looking for a used gun for carry and finally found ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just purchased a used SIG. 239 .40...and need some help

Just purchased a used SIG. 239 .40...and need some help

Hello All,

This is my first post and a very helpful website. I have been looking for a used gun for carry and finally found a very clean SIG 239 .40. Its the stainless 2- tone with black. I asked how old the gun was and my dealer informed me that the gun was an older SIG based on the trigger was solid metal vs. the newer ones are not solid. Is there any other way to tell how old the gun is? Also, I paid $599.00 for the gun which truly looks brand new. Is the price acceptable? I have been looking around for a used P239 only to find most were in fair to poor condition...so when I saw this one I put a deposit down on it to hold it.

Being new to the gun world I have 2 Kimber's but wanted to experience the SIG addiction. I really wanted the P229 but I figured the 239 will work better for me as an every day carry.

Any feedback to my questions would be very much appreciated. I have learned a ton from many of your past and current posts/topics. THANKS in advance for your help

ToZlo
    ---------------------------------

Kimber Pro CDP II
    Kimber Gold Match Stainless Steel
    Sig P-239 two-tone

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tozlo View Post
    Hello All,

This is my first post and a very helpful website. I have been looking for a used gun for carry and finally found a very clean SIG 239 .40. Its the stainless 2- tone with black. I asked how old the gun was and my dealer informed me that the gun was an older SIG based on the trigger was solid metal vs. the newer ones are not solid. Is there any other way to tell how old the gun is? Also, I paid $599.00 for the gun which truly looks brand new. Is the price acceptable? I have been looking around for a used P239 only to find most were in fair to poor condition...so when I saw this one I put a deposit down on it to hold it.

Being new to the gun world I have 2 Kimber's but wanted to experience the SIG addiction. I really wanted the P229 but I figured the 239 will work better for me as an every day carry.

Any feedback to my questions would be very much appreciated. I have learned a ton from many of your past and current posts/topics. THANKS in advance for your help

ToZlo
    I jut purchased a clearly used Sig 229 with some accessories (extra barell, magazines) for $650. So I think your price is ok. Check gunbroker.com to make sure. Also take a look at the Sig service plan. For $130, they will replace all springs, give you nightsights and a full warranty. See: SIG Service Plan

Sig can also tell you the manufacturing date. For $25, they will send you a certificate.

Full price list: http://208.52.132.248/upFiles/CmsCon...Price-List.pdf
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Welcome to the forum! Don't forget to introduce yourself in the introductions forum so I can get in another post! Sounds like you've found a nice pistol at a good price. I have a P220 SAO in 45acp...two tone like yours I imagine. You can contact SIG directly through e-mail. and with your pistol serial number, they can tell you when it was born.
    About Us : Contact Us

Any pics? That would be helpful....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Any pics? That would be helpful....
    No pics as of yet...I placed the gun in lay away. I just called SIG and they will do the certificate and research of the gun for $12.00. For what its worth...the picture on the SIG website is the same as the gun I am looking to purchase. Sorry...I know thats not much help.

Kimber Pro CDP II
    Sig P-239 two-tone

Quote Originally Posted by tozlo View Post
    No pics as of yet...I placed the gun in lay away. I just called SIG and they will do the certificate and research of the gun for $12.00. For what its worth...the picture on the SIG website is the same as the gun I am looking to purchase. Sorry...I know thats not much help.
    I inquired about my P220 through e-mail for free! They told me the born on date, and where it shipped first from the factory just by the serial number. $12? Not worth it IMO. My P220 was born in 2006 and shipped from the factory to an Arkansas FFL dealer.

Hi and welcome to the forum...I just purchased a brand new Sig P239/40 from Turner's in Southern Cal...paid $702.00 and it came with 2 mags. I had some initial problems with the gun chambering wide-mouthed jhp rounds...Sig wasn't much help so I polished the feed ramps which still didn't help much. I have gone exclusively to narrow-mouth jhp cartridges which seem to feed well. The ones that work are as follows: Glaser Powerball; Hornady all types; WWB Personal Protection; Corbon 150gr. The ones I had problems with were Golden Sabre; HST; Hydroshock. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by advantage1one View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum...I just purchased a brand new Sig P239/40 from Turner's in Southern Cal...paid $702.00 and it came with 2 mags. I had some initial problems with the gun chambering wide-mouthed jhp rounds...Sig wasn't much help so I polished the feed ramps which still didn't help much. I have gone exclusively to narrow-mouth jhp cartridges which seem to feed well. The ones that work are as follows: Glaser Powerball; Hornady all types; WWB Personal Protection; Corbon 150gr. The ones I had problems with were Golden Sabre; HST; Hydroshock. Hope this helps
    Interesting, I had the same problem with a SIG P239 .40 I bought new in 2006. Sent it back to SigArms and they did a polish a spring replacement which didn't really help much. So now I keep Glaser Powerball in mine also. The little polymer ball in the round makes it feed just fine. I had some luck with Winchester Ranger ammo before switching to the Glaser Powerball.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    That's a very reasonable price for that gun. A little less, IIRC, than what I paid for mine. By the way, mine likes 180gr Federal HST just fine.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

THANKS much for all of your feedback. I am looking forward to see how it shoots next week. Its my first used gun I have ever purchased. I gave it a good look over and everything seemed OK as far as cosmetics and mechanics of the gun. I wish I could have shot it before I purchased but thats not the case. I found a decent gun dealer that I trust in my area as many seem shady or dishonest.

THANKS again for your posts!

To Zlo

Kimber Pro CDP II
    Sig P-239 two-tone

Luck with your new gun. My wife loves hers.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

My 239 likes to run WET! If the least bit dry she'll FTB all day long no matter what ammo.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Good gun

I also bought a slightly used Sig P239 - mine is 9mm and I got it 8 months ago for $575. I added some Hogue aluminum grips, which are thin and adhere well to my hand. Mine has operated perfectly through about 1000 rounds, and I like it very much. It conceals easily in a Desantis belt scabbard holster.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Around here that price is about right for a certified pre-owned Sig. Probably a little high for an off the shelf used one.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links