What is the 2nd most reliable semi?

This is a discussion on What is the 2nd most reliable semi? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems that the Glock pistols have the reputation as being the most reliable. Recognizing the vast amount of experience in this forum, I was ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the 2nd most reliable semi?

What is the 2nd most reliable semi?

It seems that the Glock pistols have the reputation as being the most reliable. Recognizing the vast amount of experience in this forum, I was wondering what would be considered either AS reliable as a Glock or a CLOSE 2nd in reliability?

I'm still a newbie and recently acquired a .38 special (I'm working on a posting and photos now). I'm thinking about getting a semi and have rented Glocks to test them out save for 1 time I rented a Beretta (not wild about it). I really like the Glocks because of the "feel" and their reputation for reliability, but I wanted to try some other pistols if they can equal or get close to the Glock in reliability.

As always, thank you for any advice or perspectives you may offer.
    Glock 26, Ruger LCR, Glock 19
    Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema. "I don't care. If it doesn't rhyme, it isn't a poem."

2. Remove Ads

I don't know if this would be number 2 (probably not), but the Smith & Wesson M&P 9c that I have is proving to be very reliable. I've put it though its paces, and have not had a failure of any kind. I like it as much as my Glocks.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by bameroni View Post
    It seems that the Glock pistols have the reputation as being the most reliable. Recognizing the vast amount of experience in this forum, I was wondering what would be considered either AS reliable as a Glock or a CLOSE 2nd in reliability?

I'm still a newbie and recently acquired a .38 special (I'm working on a posting and photos now). I'm thinking about getting a semi and have rented Glocks to test them out save for 1 time I rented a Beretta (not wild about it). I really like the Glocks because of the "feel" and their reputation for reliability, but I wanted to try some other pistols if they can equal or get close to the Glock in reliability.

As always, thank you for any advice or perspectives you may offer.

As much of a rap as the S&W Sigma VE gets I like mine. I have never had an issue with mine and I have hundreds of rounds through it of varying manufacturers (mostly WWB though).

Of course if you strip down my SW40VE and a G17 they are almost identical which shows me why S&W was sued by Glock.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Administrator
    Setting aside carrying banners of the pistols posters personally own, Glock and Sig always land on top of the heap when it comes to combat pistols. HK sometimes does well, and everything else is left in the dust.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Setting aside carrying banners of the pistols posters personally own, Glock and Sig always land on top of the heap when it comes to combat pistols. HK sometimes does well, and everything else is left in the dust.
    Exactly........2nd is second, and well............take your pick.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    These 3 seem to lead the pack in reputation for reliability...then it comes down to personal preference (and maybe cost).

Rick

I have a Springfield XD40, which I find VERY reliable. I don't have any problems with it, and it has over 16,000 rounds through it. Bought it brand new. I think they are up their in reliability myself.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I wish I could help, but I've only used a hand-full of different brands of semi-autos. Each one I've used have proven to me to be very reliable after thousands of rounds.

This thread is all about the poster's opinion according to their personal experiences with different firearms they've used. For me Glock, Springfield, or FN might be the most reliable pistols.......for John Doe Sig, Taurus, or Smith & Wesson are the most reliable.

This is a very subjective thread
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

I have shot various pistols before I picked out my gun, but only one I liked out of "reliable list" according to the seller was Glock 19. Had the chance to shoot Sig 226, but it just didn't feel right.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstar1357 View Post
    I have shot various pistols before I picked out my gun, but only one I liked out of "reliable list" according to the seller was Glock 19. Had the chance to shoot Sig 226, but it just didn't feel right.
    Yeah Glock 19 is one of my favorite pistols as well. I bought one and love it and because RamRod recommended it to me
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Natureboypkr View Post
    Yeah Glock 19 is one of my favorite pistols as well. I bought one and love it and because RamRod recommended it to me
    I think the G19 is the most reliable platform there is, and is also a favorite of mine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would put XD with or above Glock. XD far surpassed the so-called Glock torture test and they did it with an XD off the shelf rather than one sent specifically from Glock.

With that said, any firearm that is well maintained and properly broken in should be 100% reliable and I personally choose 1911's.

As far as I am concerned, in any of the top brands, in just about any platform, if you are having problems with reliability, it is more likely the shooter, be it technique or maintenance, rather than the pistol.

Of course there are lemons out of every factory, and not even Glock is exempt from that.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Sigs and H&Ks

I can only comment on the guns I own - my two Glocks have operated perfectly, but my two H&K USPs and 3 Sigs have also been perfect. So I would put all three brands in the same category from a reliability standpoint.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member
    It seems to me that XD's are building on a reputation not to far from Glocks. I think U-tube has some EX torture tests that are quite impressive.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Administrator
    Sorry, but I dont buy into the XD Xtreme Hype. I've seen them fail more often than any other of the popular guns in out 3 day course. The only ones that dont fail are the Glocks, Sigs and for the most part USP's.

The XD's are decent enough, I dont want to start a "my XD has been great" thread... but I honestly cant put them in the top shelf class.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links