I'm torn on my gun

I'm torn on my gun

This is a discussion on I'm torn on my gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went by Gunmaster today on my way home and dang it if wasn't a real clean looking Springfield 1911 for $350, no customizations (clean ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm torn on my gun

I'm torn on my gun

I went by Gunmaster today on my way home and dang it if wasn't a real clean looking Springfield 1911 for $350, no customizations (clean canvas).

If I drop $350 on it right now I'm in hot water with the Mrs. But I can trade in my S&W Sigma .40 and probably walk out with only paying tax.

My problem is this, I already have holsters for my current gun and also a bunch of .40 cal ammo.

I am almost talking myself in to the 90 day layaway, but I'll still catch it from the Wife, but it might not be as bad over 3 months.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Trade in the S&W now and post your holsters for sale in the forum or e-bay or whatever. Find someone local willing to trade for your 40cal ammo. $350 sounds pretty good for a bone stock Springfield 1911.

JD
    Administrator
    When you say "Clean Springfield with no mods" are you talking about a GI or MilSpec or other model with "enhancements" from the factory that may nod be "mods"

Is the Sigma your only current carry gun?

If you're not all ready familiar withe the 1911, I would advice a lot of "getting to know" time in there before carrying one, and you don't want to be without a piece during that time.

Not to mention that you will also have to drop cash for a holster, more mags and ammo for the 1911.

If you don't have another alternative for carry, talk to the wife, work something out and put it on law-a-way

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    When you say "Clean Springfield with no mods" are you talking about a GI or MilSpec or other model with "enhancements" from the factory that may nod be "mods"

Is the Sigma your only current carry gun?

If you're not all ready familiar withe the 1911, I would advice a lot of "getting to know" time in there before carrying one, and you don't want to be without a piece during that time.

Not to mention that you will also have to drop cash for a holster, more mags and ammo for the 1911.

If you don't have another alternative for carry, talk to the wife, work something out and put it on law-a-way
    My Sigma is my only handgun, and I am not sure which kind of 1911 it is. I'd guess that it is a GI as it looks very plain and the guy at the guns shop said it was an "entry level" gun???

You say I need some "getting to know" time, is there much of a learning curve from what I have (Glock clone called a Sigma) to the 1911 platform? I know tearing it down to clean will take some learning.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    My Sigma is my only handgun, and I am not sure which kind of 1911 it is. I'd guess that it is a GI as it looks very plain and the guy at the guns shop said it was an "entry level" gun???

You say I need some "getting to know" time, is there much of a learning curve from what I have (Glock clone called a Sigma) to the 1911 platform? I know tearing it down to clean will take some learning.
    The only thing that makes it entry level is the price and lack of features that others may want, it does give you room to put on whatever bells and whistles YOU want.

If you're not used to disengaging the thumb safety, it is MUCH different than the point and shoot of a Sigma/Glock/Sig, etc.

But that's more topic for another thread such as this one: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...afety-off.html

Lightbulb Bribery

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post

......... I'll still catch it from the Wife, but it might not be as bad over 3 months.
    You mean you're asking for three monyhs of pain? Are you a glutton?

You might consider keeping the Sigma for CC until you've developed the "1911 skill set", so trading or selling is out IMHO, so just resort to bribery. Say, a new necklace or earnings for the 1911. Good deal for both!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    just resort to bribery. Say, a new necklace or earnings for the 1911. Good deal for both!
    I wish it were that easy. The Wife doesn't wear anything but a simple necklace and Ixthus and her wedding ring.

Now, I can remind her that she just got a vacuum sealer and a impact sealer for mylar bags, that might work.

-Paco

you need the 1911, sell the smegma, er...I mean sigma.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Make the trade and donate all your .40 ammo to my charity. Casa Siafu is a charity that gets a 40-something out onto the range and makes him feel like a kid again. Your wife will approve. Get the 1911, life is too short to pass up on a good deal.

As for the holster: I posted one of mine here yesterday and it sold in less than 12 hours. In fact I already shipped it off to the new owner in Texas. Problem solved.

I wouldn't make the buy...other/better buys will come along, and if you are going to go with an entry level 1911, a Taurus would be a better buy. At least you would get some of the features, and without a bobtail on a mil spec springfield, you're gonna learn the words 'hammer bite' real quick.

PM me, and we can try to get to a range together...You can try out a couple of my 1911's to get a feel for them.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    PM me, and we can try to get to a range together...You can try out a couple of my 1911's to get a feel for them.
    Not a bad idea, but I better hurry before you move.

I think I just saw it and got a little goofy. I did the same for the 3 used AR15s I saw on the racks (cheapest one was $1,400).

-Paco

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I wouldn't make the buy...other/better buys will come along, and if you are going to go with an entry level 1911, a Taurus would be a better buy. At least you would get some of the features, and without a bobtail on a mil spec springfield, you're gonna learn the words 'hammer bite' real quick.

OMG - A Taurus is about as far as you can get from a true 1911
    design and still call it a 1911.

Springfield GI.s are solid basic pistols - and $350 for a slightly
    used one is a DEAL.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    OMG - A Taurus is about as far as you can get from a true 1911
    design and still call it a 1911.

Springfield GI.s are solid basic pistols - and $350 for a slightly
    used one is a DEAL.
    If you want a 'true' 1911, you may be correct, but that would rule out all of my Kimbers, Colts, Springfields and my Custom Fusion.

A true 1911 belongs in the early 1900's...

I don't own a Taurus but have shot a few and the guys I know that have them seem to be happy. I just know I wouldn't be happy with a mil-spec. For some reason I enjoy that webbing between my trigger finger and my thumb.

As always, YMWV.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Don't buy it..save for something you really you want..
    Don't always grab the bag of candy in front of you...
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

I agree, save your money and keep the Sigma, especially since it's your only right now.

I'm saving up myself for a Springfield Armory 1911. Not a basic one, I think the price is upwards of $700 or $800. But I wouldn't want to trade my Sigma in on it (that and my J-Frame are my only CCWs).

Keep your Sigma, and save up for that 1911 that you really want.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links