Opinions/who carries a Security Six?

This is a discussion on Opinions/who carries a Security Six? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Happy New Year folks! Just signed up to the forum right before Christmas, and have been researching my first handgun for about a month. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions/who carries a Security Six?

Opinions/who carries a Security Six?

Happy New Year folks! Just signed up to the forum right before Christmas, and have been researching my first handgun for about a month.

I signed up myself and pop for our concealed course at the end of this month. (He has had his concealed permit before, but lapsed).

I have recently been weighing options, reading posts and reviews, and generally racking my brain over the very common Glock/Springfield/S&W/Ruger/Etc. pieces. They all seem to be very good units.

Recently Pop mentioned something along the lines of him buying a new gun, and giving/selling his Security Six .357 to me. It is probably an early 80's production model, blue, 4 inch....MAYBE 100 rounds fired.

So, who daily carries one? Why? Would it be a good first handgun for going to the range and shooting alot of rounds for practice?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Rich

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Great gun for the range. Forerunner of the GP-100 series, not quite as beefy though. To be honest with you I still wouldn't mind having one. At one time it was the issue weapon of many police departments.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My old man used to carry one, well...the fixed sighted version, speed-six. Wished I had it.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    I probably owned the same gun at one time, a Ruger Security Six. I don't recall the barrel length, but it was certainly a late 1970s or early 1980s model.

Frankly, for whatever reason, I couldn't hit anything with it, but I'm sure that was me, and not the gun.

I kept it at home as HD, but loaded it up with .38 sp wadcutters.

Eventually, I gave it to my wife's brother who still has it. I doubt it has been fired in many years, but I also bet it will still go boom.

I think there are better carry guns for everyday. If I were camping somewhere I might want that along.

You won't regret taking your pop's security six. I owned one and carried it in the early 1980s. I parted with it as part of a trade deal for another gun. I wish I still had it. Less bulky than the GP100 and nice to carry and shoot.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I have a Security Six with the 2-3/4" barrel. I've carried it a few times, in a high-ride leather OWB holster with a thumbsnap.

Pros: sights that Stevie Wonder could see; .357 freaking MAGNUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons: only SIX rounds of .357 Magnum; every bit the size of a mid-size 1911 or a full-size Glock -- and a little extra width thanks to the cylinder; you can hear the cartridges "click" when you walk.

Thanks for the responses guys. I am gonna take it out to shoot sometime next week, along with a springfield, glock, and a sig.

I still don't know if i will end up with it, but if it works well for me, I don't see how I could really go wrong, and to be honest, I don't mind carrying a larger gun...I shot a friends glock 30 and absolutely hated it. I just couldn't hold on to the thing.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Oh, almost forgot....

It's a GREAT gun!

I just don't think it'd be a first choice for CCW. Stopping power for days, sure......but not if you're not carrying it because it's bulky, heavy or uncomfortable beyond what you're willing to deal with.

That's the exact handgun my dad inherited from his dad... A 4" Ruger Security Six (stainless steel). First pistol larger than a .22 I ever fired. And man I loved that revolver. Loved it.

Granted, no idea how it works for carrying, and it was big. But it shot so well and it was a gorgeous pistol... Dad sold it a while back, alas.

I share your distaste for the way Glock's feel -- no knock on Glock's, just not for me.

Good luck! Keep us updated on your search. Picking a pistol and getting to know it is an enjoyable process.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

I carry one 40% of the time IWB leather one clip not too uncomfertable & it's 4in. Keep stock grips on it disaperes about 4oclk JMO PS you won't shoot it out & can pass to kids

My first handgun purchase was a Security Six about 25 years ago - I still have it. Thoughts/observations:

> Very well made, VERY accurate, heavy double action trigger, light/crisp single action.

> The stock grips were skinny wood and IMO inadequate when shooting full house 357 rounds. I replaced them with Pachmayr rubber "oversize" grips and all was well. If your dad's revolver still has stock grips I recommend you do the same - then the Security Six is much more like a GP100.

> I have never concealed carried it but have open carried on occasion. If you're OC then size isn't such a factor.

> I've carried it as a backup and as my primary weapon while hog hunting. If a 357 is legal for hunting in your state (as it is in mine) and if you hunt that's another factor to consider.

> It's a great revolver for developing skill in shooting a handgun. You can practice quite cheaply with 38 Special and carry self-protection 357 Magnum rounds. Also, if you have a small-stature Significant Other they may be more comfortable with 38's (like my wife is). She had never fired a handgun before we bought the Six, before long she was quite proficient - within a couple months she came within 4 points of qualifying Expert on the Navy course of fire.

> It's a great house gun. Mine has rested in a quickly accessible lock box in the bedroom ever since I bought it. I concealed-carry a semi-auto, but it goes into the downstairs safe every night while the Six is always ready to go out of the bedroom.

> Everyone who has shot it has been impressed. Just two days ago a buddy shot it for the first time. This guy has a safe full of Smith & Wesson revolvers, we first fired his 500 S&W ( ) then after he had fired several cylinders full of the Six he said, "Wow, I had no idea Rugers were that nice."

> IMO you just can't go wrong in acquiring it. You may move on to semi-auto's for concealed carry or IDPA or whatever, but you'll always have the Six around like I do.

Carried one back in 1972...great firearm...one tuff cookie!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have one that's in stainless ,I bought it in 1983 it has 4 inch barrel and great revolver and I just like the way it shoots.I replaced the wood grips to a set of cheap rubber grips which makes this much more comfortable handling recoil of 357.You'll never war this revolver out as it built to last forever.

Senior Moderator
    I had a Police Six that I sold years (15+) ago and still regret it today
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Security Six was my first duty sidearm.
    Light and accurate, never let me down even once.
    Would not feel under gunned with a Security Six as my sidearm!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links