First trip to the range

First trip to the range

This is a discussion on First trip to the range within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I made my first trip to the range yesterday and rented several handguns. It was a lot of fun. I am having a hard ...

First trip to the range

So I made my first trip to the range yesterday and rented several handguns. It was a lot of fun. I am having a hard time though trying to decide which gun I should get. So these are the things that I noticed while shooting:

Glock 19: Grip angle didn't seem to bother me. Trigger was nice. Overall, rather liked it.

Springfield XD: Seemed to have more muzzle flip. (Could have just been my grip, but it seemed more than others). Trigger was ok, no complaints. I was interested in the grip safety, and how it would feel/be. It felt fine, other than the first time i tried to fire it, i must not have depressed it enough, because no boom. That worried me a bit, but i guess with practice it might be a non factor. Overall, it was nice.

S&W M&Pc: I liked it because it was small. The trigger was nice. Seemed to fit my hand well. Overall, I liked it.

Taurus Millennium Pro: I was leaning towards a Taurus going into this because I like the look and price of them. It was a nice gun, but comparing the triggers to the others, I really didn't like it all that much. It seemed to have a much longer brake and reset on it which i didn't care for that much. It felt kind of mushy. The one nice thing about it is that it has the second strike capability. It also was the only gun with a manual safety. Don't know if that is good or bad yet. Because of the trigger, I would have to put this at the bottom of my list, but the price still makes it interesting. I had wanted to shoot a 24/7 pro, but they didn't have one. But if the trigger feels the same, I don't know if I would love it.

If I had to rank them on my first impressions, the would go
    1. Glock 19 / S&W M&Pc
    2. Springfield XD
    3. Taurus Millennium Pro

So, any input from the peanut gallery? Which would you guys choose?
    Last edited by wonderboy; January 2nd, 2009 at 01:03 PM.
    ''What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?'' Thomas Jefferson

So, any input from the peanut gallery?
    Sounds to me like the S&W did you well, or you did well with it. Not to sway you one way or the other, but did you learn the Glock trigger and the reset? That alone could make or break your top choice. I've never handled the XD's, but I do think they have a higher bore line than the others you tried and that would be reasonable in your experience of more muzzle flip. Either way...it's good you got the chance to put them through the paces. I figure you'll be going back to that range to narrow it down further. Just interested about the price span of the Glock, S&W, and the XD, or dare I ask?

The S&W MP Fine choice IMO

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post

If I had to rank them on my first impressions, the would go
    1. Glock 19 / S&W M&Pc
    2. Springfield XD
    3. Taurus Millennium Pro

So, any input from the peanut gallery?
    Thats pretty much the order I would have put them in myself. Overall, the Glock is the better gun, but the M&Pc is just such a nice package and a perfect CCW size, but it does have a certain weak point that makes me shy away from it.
    I do think RamRod is right, once the glock reset is learned, it would probably push it over the edge in the #1 spot... but the M&Pc is such a nice sized package its hard to pass up for a CCW.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Just interested about the price span of the Glock, S&W, and the XD, or dare I ask?
    I haven't looked around alot, but i have seen the xd for $480, the glock for $517, and haven't priced the M&P. These are local prices.
    ''What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?'' Thomas Jefferson

I agree with the S&W M&P, IF. . . , I could get it without the magazine disconnect. If you are very new to handguns this means the gun will not fire if the magazine is removed. Not having this feature would at least let you be the proud owner of a single shot handgun.

Having the magazine disconnect I would go for the XD.

I would also reccomend a Sig P250, their new entry which is promoting it's modular concept. I am very happy with Sigs but feel that as a modular purchase this would not be cost effective. As a stand alone purchase it feels excellent in the hand and has a great out of the box trigger.

It will be in the same price category.

Your ranking is pretty the same ranking I would have listed. I personally like the M&P more than the Glock, but must admit, the Glock is starting to grow on me.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Overall, the Glock is the better gun, but the M&Pc is just such a nice package and a perfect CCW size, but it does have a certain weak point that makes me shy away from it.
    SIXTO, may I inquire what the "certain weak point" with the M&P is?

I think you nailed some good choices down. You can't go wrong with the Glock...that being said I have retired my G36 for a M&P45c and have 0 regrets about it. I like the feel of the M&P's better (I have big hands) and the interchangable backstraps are great for when my wife would like to go shooting (and I carry my 45c with the small grips on for a tighter package). I think that the M&P is one of the best if not the best auto on the market. I have 3 (45c, 9c and 9l for a comp gun) and I just got back from the range after teaching a number of first time shooters with my Mark III and M&P's and the simplicity is great coupled with a smooth trigger (you can get some awesome trigger jobs done as well, but not needed for a carry gun in my opinion).

The other feature I like about the M&P is that it is stainless steel and the Glock is not...that said the Glock has a fantastic blueing job. I would put them in the same category with the Smith in the lead for me due to the above. This should be no suprise as the M&P was designed by a couple of ex glock engeneers.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    SIXTO, may I inquire what the "certain weak point" with the M&P is?
    Yes, you may.

I don't like the entire sear housing assembly. The sear tends to fall out of place causing failure. Its rare, but it happened a few times during some long term real world testing, and we were able to reproduce the problem.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, you may.

Ah, yes... the old English teacher joke. Well played!

VIP Member
    When comparing the Glock, XD, XDm and S&W M&P, I thought the trigger on the Smith was the best feeling of the bunch. Ergonomics were excellent too.

Ironically, I bought a XDm 9mm so I could have a high capacity gun in the collection. My 1911s won't even talk to it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

good job. firing a gun before buying is the best way to go. anyway, from the peanut gallery, I chose and carry a springfield xd 9 mm sub compact. great weapon. great cc.

Links