List Any You Know Of

This is a discussion on List Any You Know Of within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The SW9 compact might be okay actually, but I just don't trust the Sigma series. But like I said, I'd have time to make sure ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: List Any You Know Of

The SW9 compact might be okay actually, but I just don't trust the Sigma series. But like I said, I'd have time to make sure it wasn't a dud.

What we're hoping to accomplish here is something better than .380 ACP by some margin with a common ammo type that can be purchased at Walmart. Why? She works at Walmart and gets a discount.

She likes her Bersa all right, but the external safety bugs her. She initially thought she really needed a safety but has wised up and decided she doesn't want one.

Something like a DAO 3913 might be just the thing.

2. Remove Ads

My wife really liked a S&W stainless J-frame Ladysmith in .357. Fit her small hand and she shot it well. A Model 60 with a trigger job would do as well, and maybe for less without the Ladysmith moniker.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Something like that is probably ideal Tom. A J frame hopefully with the slightly longer barrel might be what it comes down to.

This is going to be her only handgun. I'd prefer a 2.5" or 3" barrel for that reason.

the slick slide S&W compact 9mm is a dao 3953 they are available used as are other S&Ws from CDNN.
    Might check J&G Sales for Police trade in S&Ws too.
    Can't quibble with the SIG 239 or the 225.
    the J frames are really had to beat though. Blue Taurus 85 s can still be had for under 300.00 as well.
    We went round and round with guns for my petite wife, grip reduction custom S&W K frames, J frames, chopped 1911s A Hi Power, of all things she fell in love with first a G-19 then decided her girlfriends' g-23 was even better 10 years + with that and she still loves it. The glock's were not even on my radar, but she chose it.

Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

I still believe that glock is the only semi without an external safety of some sort, and of course the only one we know of is in the trigger.
    THe sigs, s&w's, and such.... still has a safety. Such as my DA/SA smith 1066 10mm. It has a decocker, which in essence is a safety when you leave it in the down position.

Ah I see your point artz. It is the only gun without some sort of "backup" so to speak. My mistake.

I'm talking about an active external safety as opposed to a passive one like a decocker or a grip safety.

I'll throw my 0.02 in. I just picked up two Walther P990's in 9mm (DAO, no manual safety) for $300 each from CDNN. One for my wife's bedstand and another for an anti-carjacking kit for me.

The reason they are cheap is because the DAO is no longer being imported into the US. That and the fact that most people shy away from a true DAO trigger. The fullsize walther might be too big for her requirements (it is nice and thin though) you might find a walther P990 / P99 DAO in compact size to fit the bill.

As a report, the trigger is way better than a kel-tec for a DAO and I have had no problems w/ the 800 rounds I sent downrange to break in my wife's gun. 500 rounds without a cleaning.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by artz
    THe sigs, s&w's, and such.... still has a safety. Such as my DA/SA smith 1066 10mm. It has a decocker, which in essence is a safety when you leave it in the down position.
    A safety, to my way of thinking, is usually something you have to "take off" before firing a weapon. Which to me means that a decocker does not really qualify as a safety, since the weapon can be fired with a pull of the trigger.

Just my humble opinion.......
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by artz
    I still believe that glock is the only semi without an external safety of some sort, and of course the only one we know of is in the trigger.
    If I'm correct, NONE from Kahr's lineup use an external safety. The only external controls are the slide lock and the mag release. All are single-stack.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'd recommend the Karh P9. It's single stack, no safety, excellent ergonomics that may ladies and men with medium to small hands seem to love. It racks quite easily and with regular 9mm loads it's not bad at all on the recoil. It's reliability is outstanding and it's very light weight. It comes with two mags, one that's only a 7 rounder for concealability and the second is an extended rounder that carry's 8. It's very accurate has a long trigger as it's DAO but the trigger is VERY smooth. The dot over post sights are supper easy to shoot with and make for intuitive target acquisition. I have night sights and a blackened stainless slide but those two features add a fair amount to the cost. A standard P9 should be pretty reasonable.

I've had mine a year and think it's close to being the perfect CCW for a 9mm for medium to smaller build folks who want something a bit thinner and small than all of the larger heavier weapons.

Good Luck

Gideon

Well, Chris posted a Sig 239 for sale by someone in the "For Sale" Forum.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links