Need help on Dan Wesson

Need help on Dan Wesson

This is a discussion on Need help on Dan Wesson within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am about to do something I have never done before and that is ask for purchase advice on a forum. Today I visited a ...

Thread: Need help on Dan Wesson

Need help on Dan Wesson

I am about to do something I have never done before and that is ask for purchase advice on a forum. Today I visited a local Pawn shop and down in the lower left hand corner sat A Dan Wesson 357 wheeler, it has the 2" ( maybe 1 7/8" ) 4", 6" and 8" barrels, the DW Patch and Belt buckle, the barrel tool as well as the gauge, no owners manual, but it has the original hard case that looks like a piece of Samsonite luggage from the 60's. The inserts are in the case that hold all the components. The bluing is as close to 100% as I have ever seen, simply beautiful and there is a small envelope with extra front sight inserts. They were asking $1200 for the set. They quickly came down to $1000. I noticed they had no AR's on the wall, so I inquired about a possible trade on a AR. They were very eager as they are telling me AR's are selling above a grand as soon as they get them in. I have a DPMS Sweet 16, bull barrel fluted, with Bushnell Halo sight that I have about $650 in, yes I got a good deal on that rifle!!! AR's are selling for incredible numbers right now, but I have always dreamed of owning a complete DW.set like these. I can't find one like it on Gun Broker. Basically I need to know if this sounds like a good deal or no deal? I figure AR's will always be around and this inflated scare market can't last forever. I still have by old A2 Bushmaster for an AR. The DPMS has about 300 rounds through it. So what do y'all think?

Thanks
    NCH

I forgot to add that there are two sets of grips, a checkered set of lighter wood and a darker set that is smooth with finder groove. Looks just like this set.
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/970942475...Pistol_Pac.htm
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Senior Moderator
    I love Dan Wessons, have owned several and have one now, vent rib,heavy barreled 6" .357.

No way would I trade an AR for a revolver.

Look at it like this. The AR's will be banned before the revolvers will.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Not sure if the price is good, but the original Monson-made DW Model 15's are excellent revolvers.....I own two with four barrels. The only thing I don't like about them is, unlike with S&W revolvers, the rear sight doesn't have positive and repeatable "clicks."

My two revolvers are extremely accurate provided a do my part.

Enjoy!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Thanks Hot guns,
    I don't want to do the trade and wish I hadn't. I wish I had the Cash to just buy it. I could probably get it for $800 cash!!! I don't have that much in the AR.
    I understand what you are saying, but I do have another AR, and several SKS, the way I am looking at it, this gun scare is causing $600 plain jane rifles to sell over a grand. I saw a Charles Daily AR sell for $1100.00 just a plain old A2 style AR, this is crazy. The same thing happened right before the last gun ban. Prices went through the roof, but eventually ca,e back down. AR's are going to be around for years in one form or another. How many of these complete sets are still around in this condition. I am going to think about it and make them sit on it for a day or so.
    NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    Not sure if the price is good, but the original Monson-made DW Model 15's are excellent revolvers.....I own two with four barrels. The only thing I don't like about them is, unlike with S&W revolvers, the rear sight doesn't have positive and repeatable "clicks."

My two revolvers are extremely accurate provided a do my part.

Enjoy!
    Not sure if this would be a shooter as I have a 686 for that roll, probably a safe queen. I will call and get the model and serial # have any idea how I can tell if it is a Monson made gun. Will it say Monson on it? Thanks Again

NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

The gun is a Model 15-V and is a Monson made gun, the first three serial numbers are 218 if anyone could give me a manufacture date. It appears that the 4" barrel is the only one that has had any rounds through it.
    NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I had a DW .44mag with an 8" barrel, a great shooter and awesome gun all around. But being young and not good with finances sold it. Don't know if I would make the trade but if you really think you could get for 800 cash I would go for it. Others on this forum can give you better advice trading the AR or not but you should get top dollar if you do.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Can you do a lay-away at the pawn shop? If so, put it on a 30 day lay-away and sell the AR for $1100-$1200 and buy the Dan Wesson for $800 cash with $300-$400 left over.

I thought about that sharpetop. I have a guy that says he will give me $1100 for the AR, but needs a couple weeks to get the cash. Some dudes like to talk and it would be easier for a single transaction. The cheapest I have found a set like this sold for $800, and another identical to it for $1100+, that is a big price spread. I need to do some more homework.

Thanks for all the help. I never could understand why folks ask strangers for purchase advice, and here I am. Even though I have always wanted a DW complete set, i really don't know that much about them, so I appreciate all the advice.
    NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Senior Moderator
    Well,now that I know more..

Since you already have an AR, then if you can get if for a trade, I'd say do it.

Just take in there and trade it and walk out. Since you've been wanting a Pistol Pack for some time, now is the time to do it.

But trade with him. Try to get a few boxes of ammo with the deal at least. AR's are a hotter comodity than Pistol Packs which are hard to get and have a very limited market. Use that fact to your advantage.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I think I will do that tomorrow. I will leave the Bushnell off it for now, and I am only taking one mag with me. My buddy said he had somebody he knew who was buying up AR's like crazy right now and paying top dollar. My buddy sold him a standard A2 Bushy for $1100 with no extras at all. He is checking to see if he wants the Sweet 16 for the same price. I will then offer the store owner $800 for the DW, and he had a nice 642, and a 442 in the case. Maybe offer them $1100 for the DW and one of those pistols. My wife had a scary situation happen at WalMart and she finally decided to get her permit, so I thought one of those small wheelers would be a nice choice. I will let y'all know how it turns out. I truly can't see these prices on AR's saying this high. Wouldn't that be something and there is no ban and everyone is paying these prices for nothing!! The owner said that DPMS has gone up 40% on their new rifles. I can't see how that is possible, but if it is that's terrible that they are gouging folks like that all because of a threat of a coming ban. It's illegal for gas station owners to do it, it ought to be illegal for them as well. Enough ranting, I sure appreciate the help y'all.
    NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    A complete pistol pack (didn't they usually have an extra grip too?). Is it the heavy vented rib model? Seems I recall some were, some weren't. Always wanted one of those, never got around to it. I think they were around $460 when they first came out. Only negative I ever heard was the barrels shooting loose, but if you simply tightened it before a range session, they were good to go.

Since you think they might go as low as $800, if you don't unload the AR, maybe they'll go $200 plus the pistol pack for your AR? They'll probably sell it above a grand anyway. I wouldn't even consider it if you didn't have another AR.

Wouldn't be so sure about the AR's not going up more though. I know it's a different story, but do you remember the Galil or AUG rifles we used to be able to buy for around $800? Remember they're all $3000 or so now (for the originals). Prices do funny things....
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

TBone, this is the 15V, which is the Vent rib semi lug, they also made a plain model 15 without the vent rib and there was also a 15HV which was the full underlug that was just massive. Many complain about it being two heavy on the larger barrels. I have been reading up on them for the past 4 hours and I believe I will go try and work the deal tomorrow. Yes there are two grips, a lighter checkered grip and a smooth darker target grip with finger grooves. But the gun is crying for some Galco wood grips, maybe in Zebra or Cocabolo wood. The bluing on this gun reminds me of the old Colts, simply beautiful There is also a belt buckle and a patch in the case. The only thing I have discovered it is missing is the manual ( easily replaceable), and a small cheap cleaning kit they came with, oh and I don't believe they had the keys for the locking case, but I might be wrong on that. Wish me luck, if it's meant to be it will be mine tomorrow!!

NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Sponsored Links