Colt New Agent

This is a discussion on Colt New Agent within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any info on this fairly new little 45 auto compact? Good purchase? Thanks for any help....

Thread: Colt New Agent

Colt New Agent

Any info on this fairly new little 45 auto compact? Good purchase? Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Here's an old - but excellent - review.

Xavier Thoughts: Colt New Agent: Range Report

I'm a huge fan of the .45acp , but my smallest is a SIG P245.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

OD*
    Another Colt *New Agent* review;

Colt's New Agent
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

if it is made by colt,,, then it is a great 45acp. it looks like a new model officer model, which was a great carry gun. i carried a combat commander in the 80's on the job. i think i will go on the hunt for one myself. i can not have to many colt's 45acp around the house.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    if it is made by colt,,, then it is a great 45acp.
    You must have never shot the Colt Double Eagle.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    You must have never shot the Colt Double Eagle.
    Gonzo
    you got me on that one. no i have not. just the ture 1911 style of colts for me. not a double action 45 acp colt that the lower looks like a s&w auto and the upper a colt 1911.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I was impressed that this pistol weighs only 18 oz. That is amazing. I'm thinking it must be a handful to shoot. My old LW Commander is about as much as I want to deal with using +p.

Colt New Agent

Great concealed carry gun. I purchased a New Agent late July 2008 and have had no problems with it. Gun has never FTF with over 500 rounds run through it. The trench site takes a liitle getting used to, but it is accurate and dependable. If interested in purchasing one of these babies, I would strongly suggest you shop around as the prices seem to fluctutate $200+/- from dealer to dealer.

My next purchase will be the Sig P239 SAS.

Good luck with your purchase!!

The only thing I don't like about it is the tunnel sight,I realise it's a SD type pistol but I like a front sight sticking up,that's why I like the defender better
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Add to text

Nice gun but the tunnel site would be hard to get used to for me too, not that I wouldn't like to try.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

The trench site is too much for me to get used to. I am probably going to have a smith fill it in and install night sights for me.

Have a first year OM. Has had a few visits to custom shops{Wilson,Heinie(milled for a rev.plug),Gunsmithy@Gunsite and EGW to finally get the best recoil spring/guide-rod set-up}.Love it. By now all the type of work I "ordered out"for should be stock from Colt...so you should have a GREAT 45 ACP in your hand. Good Luck and enjoy it !!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I've had mine for almost two years 1000+ rounds and here's what I think and it reflects what my concerns where before I bought it (looked at it a year before buying) I wanted a .45 and I'm a small guy so I needed something compact enought to work with me...

Recoil: A VERY pleasant supply, w/standard 230 grain loads it has less perceived recoil than my full size 1911 in .45. It's not a lightweight thing but not bad at all. With +p loads it gets to be a bit too mucch for me...

Trench Site; some say it doesn't have sights but it does. It DOES take a few range trips to get used to them BUT
    -with my older eyes I get on target fast with the trench than standard 3 dot
    -it's very good for a quick sight picture and can be surprisingly accurate and precise one you figure it out
    -it never never snags on the draw

Finish:
    -it's beautiful...I've carried mine so much I'm starting to see holster wear on some of the edges around the muzzle. Very faint but you can't EDC a blued weapon and practice with it without seeing some holster wear but I actually like it on this gun
    -it's all business but good looking too
    -front strap serrations. they're vertical and I would prefer regular 30 lpi checkering the but the serrations DO help with grip so it comes ready to go. I do think you could get someone to cut horrizonally through the serrations that run vertically and end up with some fashion of checkering but I bought this gun to use "as is" for a stricly CC weapon.

Size & Weight: A wonderful package to carry, VERY concealable and yet you have 8 rounds of .45 at your finger tips with another 7 backing you up. I've also shot some of my full size 8 round Wilson mags so you could carry one of those to back up your first mag.

Take Down: It DOES have a very slight learning curve. My slide stop gets hung up on the safety plunger during dissassembly. A little quirk but I've learned how to avoid that now so no problem but the first time I broke it down it was an issue.

Trigger: PERFECT, PERFECT, PERFECT, it's amazing how clean, crisp, and smooth it is. I did have to practice going from a DAO weapon (Kahr P9) to a SA weapon like the 1911. At first I shot a few double taps without meaning too!

If I had to do it all over again?
    -If you want an ALL business seriously CCW dedicated gun that is reliable and a good balance between capacity and caliber I don't think you can beat this if you like the 1911 foremat for CCW. From that perspective I'd do it again.
    -If you want a gun that'll be a bit more rounded for range and CCW, I still think a true officer's sized 1911 wth 4" barrel, conventional night sights, and 30lpi on the front strap is a cut above. I looked long an hard at the Colt defender for this reason (although it's only 3") but I just did NOT like the difference in color between the stainless slide and the lightweigh aluminum frame. Something just wasn't quite right for me.

Personally, I think if Colt took the New Agent, added 1" of barrel and night sights w/30LPI on the front stap I think they'd sell thousands of them.

All in all, I consider my Colt a high end true work horse and one day my grandkids will look at Grandpa's old worn Colt and say "that was Granddad's gun!"

You can't go wrong with one and if get it and decide you don't like it, it'll keep some of it's value.

I paid just south of $800 for mine but guns seem to be a bit more expensive in my part of Missouri.

OD*
    Excellent post, Gideon.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Links