Best autoloader for concealed Smartcarry? (M&P Compact / Glock 27 / ???)

This is a discussion on Best autoloader for concealed Smartcarry? (M&P Compact / Glock 27 / ???) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a small autoloader to use in my Smartcarry holster. It needs to be very compact and reliable, but also powerful. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best autoloader for concealed Smartcarry? (M&P Compact / Glock 27 / ???)

Best autoloader for concealed Smartcarry? (M&P Compact / Glock 27 / ???)

I am looking for a small autoloader to use in my Smartcarry holster.

It needs to be very compact and reliable, but also powerful. I currently own an Ed Brown 1911 Kobra Carry 4" but it is too big for my Smartcarry holster. I also have an H&K P2000SK .40 LEM and it fits well, but I am looking for something else.

I have been researching and handling the Glock 27 and the M&P Compact .40 / .357 SIG. The M&P has a nice grip to it but it is slightly larger than the G27. I have never had a chance to shoot the M&P and my local gun ranges do not have any to test fire. I used to own a Glock 27 but sold it because the grip did not feel right. I have also never shot the .357 SIG (can't find any ranges with this caliber in the pistols I have been looking at).

Both the M&P and G27 worry me a little because I would like to carry the pistol with a round in the chamber and the Smartcarry has the pistol aimed right at my groin...

It needs to be in either the .40 S&W or the .357 SIG. I like the ballistics and magazine capacity of both calibers.

All ideas and comments (please keep them positive ) are much appreciated! Thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've successfully carried guns as large as my old SIG P229 and Beretta 92F Compact and Compact Type M; a smaller gun will make it easier without a doubt. Either gun should work in a SC.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Whatever you're comfortable with. It's all about personal preference, there is no such thing as a universal "best" gun.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Quote Originally Posted by kashton View Post

It needs to be very compact and reliable, but also powerful. I currently own an Ed Brown 1911 Kobra Carry 4" but it is too big for my Smartcarry holster. I also have an H&K P2000SK .40 LEM and it fits well, but I am looking for something else.

I have been researching and handling the Glock 27 and the M&P Compact .40 / .357 SIG. The M&P has a nice grip to it but it is slightly larger than the G27. I have never had a chance to shoot the M&P and my local gun ranges do not have any to test fire. I used to own a Glock 27 but sold it because the grip did not feel right. I have also never shot the .357 SIG (can't find any ranges with this caliber in the pistols I have been looking at).

Both the M&P and G27 worry me a little because I would like to carry the pistol with a round in the chamber and the Smartcarry has the pistol aimed right at my groin...

It needs to be in either the .40 S&W or the .357 SIG. I like the ballistics and magazine capacity of both calibers.

All ideas and comments (please keep them positive ) are much appreciated! Thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
    I do believed that you have purchased the smaller of the two Smart Carry holsters. I purchased the larger one and carry a 1911A in mine. If I decide to carry a smaller HG like a .38, I just use a couple of safety pins to shorten up the holster, and it works well. Also you should not wory about an AD with most any of the newer, better quality, handguns while carring one in the pipe. I carry my .45 cocked and locked. A new pistol = $500 +? A new Smart Carry holster (the large one) = $45?
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Both the M&P and Glock are quality pistols. It all comes down to what works for you. I never had any trigger time with the M&P series, so I can't say if I like it better than Glock, but have handled an M&P9 in a gun store once. It seemed to be well built and fit and finish were excellent.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I carry my M&P 40c in a SmartCarry through out the summer months. It's a great weapon that has been trouble free for me, I would recommend them highly.
    Find wearing the holster low as possible, were as the business end of the pistol is down touching the inseam, is most comfortable. With no worries of losing anything important. Loose fitting pants/shorts is a must with deep crotch.
    Happy New Year!!!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    The mention of the larger Smart Carry is interesting, but not your question.

One thought additionally, have you considered the Glock 36? Small pistol in .45ACP

For the Glock safety concerns, consider one of these maybe?
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    The fact that you had a 27 and traded it because of the grip, would of concern to me. The M&P is slightly larger than the 27 and would be a good choice; but also around the same size as the M&P would be the Glock 23 (40 cal.) and Glock 36 (45 acp). These are two great guns you might also concider.

I'd like to understand what you want different from the HK. I have the exact same gun (LEM, .40, with the LEM trigger lightened to 4.5# trigger pull) that I carry with a round in the chamber, with a SmartCarry. The muzzle is NOT supposed to be aimed at your privates. If that's how you're positioning the handgun, you're incorrectly using the SmartCarry. It's supposed to be over, or "on top of" your "package" with the muzzle pointing past, to the ground. When using the stand up rest room facilities, use the SC as something of a tilt-up garage door.

It would help understanding what you find lacking with the P2000SK so that any recommendations would be fruitful. I've personally found that model to be amazingly reliable (I don't remember ever having a FTF or FTE in thousands of rounds of both HP and range ammo), fits and handles well, is very accurate, and is as light as one would expect. I'm hard pressed to recommend a better performing compact .40 from any manufacturer.

kashton,

I have heard many on this forum state that the most important safety is the one between your ears.

I have trained myself to never pick up any weapon with my finger on the trigger. You have probably done the same. Just don't violate that rule. And don't use the pasta server to scratch anything down in that region and you should be good to go, so to speak.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I have decided to go with the M&P Compact .40. I shot one in a 9mm today and it felt great.

I was looking for ideas, not the "best" handgun. I know there is no such thing as the best handgun and that it comes down to personal preference. I guess my question came across the wrong way.

VIP Member
    It's such a personal choice I don't know what to add. Some people couldn't carry a credit card in a SmartCarry without it bothering them and others carry medium frame and even large frame guns with no problem.

I didn't like carrying a G-27 in my SmartCarry and a M&P would be too big too, but a "J" Frame works fine for me. Do you know anyone who would let you try their 27?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

glock 27 is a terrific gun cant say about the smart carry,mine lives in a galco ankleglove
    m&p9,sp101,glock27,walther pps

get the glock 27 and later you can get a 357 sig barrel to drop in the g27. that way you got two guns.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

+1 on the 27. That is my off-duty carry weapon. Rides comfortably in a VM II, with a 23 mag on the opposite side.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links