What to buy?

What to buy?

This is a discussion on What to buy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good afternoon all! This is my first post to this forum and I'm seeking advice. There will be a gun show in Greensboro, NC this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to buy?

What to buy?

Good afternoon all! This is my first post to this forum and I'm seeking advice. There will be a gun show in Greensboro, NC this coming weekend. I will be looking for a handgun for home protection and possibly for concealed carry in the future. I've been considering the new S&W model 619. However the Glock 21 and the Sig Sauer P226 would appear to be better for carry. Any advice?

well on the glock 21 you need to make sure it fits your hand the frame is quite large .. as for sigs if it works for ya ok it dont for me

I wouldn't recommend that you only look at those three you listed. Home defense and CC are two different need's.

I would also shot the gun's you might like to carry first before buying. Shooting ranges have rental gun's you can shot to see if you like them or not.

Very Important!

I would also recommend that you get a very good belt and holster the first time to go along with your gun of choice. We have many talented holster/leather craftsman on this forum that will be more than happy to help you out.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

yes i forgot to mention spend for a decent amount for a holster and belt

Assistant Administrator
    Welcome

Yep - good belt and rig for carry and re the carry - the 226 would be a good weapon - well, I am biased

For HD there are many choices - and some folks will suggest a shottie too.

Let us know your budgetary constraints - and do you have kids in the house?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Welcome!

If you have a few minutes, give us some more info as to what you might be looking for, what your budget looks like for purchase, kids, and what your training level may be if any. We certainly would like to help steer you in the right direction, but we just need a little bit more info on what you're looking to do.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I would tell you what I would recomend, but that may open a whole new can of worms.
    So with what you listed You should go with which ever you can shoot the best.

I like my G21. It can be a little big to CC at times, so I have ordered a G30. The 21 is more control able than the 30. I have put a Tungsten guide rod in my 21, and it makes recovery shots faster due to the added weight on the front. At this time I don't think there are any Tungsten guide rod for the compacts.

If you can try as many different guns as feasible. As stated before, some ranges rent guns, and the money you spend up front will be worth it.

Chose wisely, if you get a gun that dose not "fit" you. You will not shoot it, and not become proficient with it.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Lead Moderator
    Try to find something that fels a part of you. or an extension of ya. Many great choices out there.

Lead Moderator
    I'd almost suggest that you wait till you have a chance to find someplace where you can rent or borrow a few different types and see what you like best. It's what a lot of us have done.

Personally I like SIGs, but while I have a 226 I prefer my 239 for CC, your mileage may differ!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I don't know if you'll find any there, but you can't go wrong with a Steyr.

I own 2 and have had several other people shoot them, small hands and big. All found the grips comfortable, and the felt recoil very light. The trapezoidial sights have been very popular too, this coming from some very experienced shooters. These guns are also very accurate and natural pointers. The price is right too, look to pay between $325-450. Lower for a surplus NIB M9, the higher price would be for a NIB second generation M9A1.

Plenty of information to be found at www.steyrclub.com
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Welcome to the forum. You're receiving some great advice above - follow the ideas, and try some rentals. Good luck, and welcome.

What to buy?

I appreciate the responses and the great advice you all have given.

It's just my wife (and two miniature poodles) and me. I do have a Remington 870 Express 12-gauge and a 22 caliber Beretta in the house. My budget for the new weapon is $700 or less.

Many good guns in that price range. If you made the right deals you could have a compact S model AND a full-size M model Steyr for $700.

Don't you just hate fanatical gun nuts, I'm almost as bad as those 1911 guys :)p
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Quote Originally Posted by WorldPax
    Don't you just hate fanatical gun nuts, I'm almost as bad as those 1911 guys :)p

I resent that!... I prefer "Zealot" thank you!

Slo, that 870 makes for one of the best all around HD guns on the market. Personally, I've got a matching set of Mossberg 500s in 12 and 20ga. Bought the 12ga because the stock fit me better out of the box and it was half the cost of a Wingmaster. Won the 20ga in a Firehouse fund raiser raffle a few years ago (cost me $2 for the ticket!). In all honesty, I think the 870 is probably a better weapon ... at least compared to my mid '90s made Mossbergs.

As far as CCW weapons that's really a tough call since it's such a personal decision. Not familiar with the S&W 619 but all three companies are respectable and should stand behind your purchase should there ever be a problem.

Might be helpful to look at whatever holster makers you're interested in to make sure you can find a carry rig for what you intend to buy. Few things are more upsetting than not being able to find a holster for the shiney new gun you just bought ... first hand experience here. Shouldn't be a problem with the Glock or Sig but it never hurts to check.

Got to agree with all the others here, shoot as many different models as you can get your hands on before you decide on something. You might decide you prefer a .40 or .45 over a 9mm once you squeeze off a few rounds.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links