Extra Compact CCW Weapon

Extra Compact CCW Weapon

This is a discussion on Extra Compact CCW Weapon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I presently Carry at Springfield XD 45 Compact as my CCW Weapon. I'm looking for something more compact possibly a pocket weapon or something that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Extra Compact CCW Weapon

I presently Carry at Springfield XD 45 Compact as my CCW Weapon. I'm looking for something more compact possibly a pocket weapon or something that I can conceal regardless of what I'm wearing.. I tend to wear business clothes and I swing dance allot.. I would like to limit the amount of time I am unarmed and be able to carry regardless of what I'm wearing and what I'm doing..

I was thinking about the LCP.. Any Ideas?

I'm about 5'11 250ish.. Husky Build..

Thanks,

John
    ~XD-45 Compact~
    You might be weak but God is Strong!

VIP Member
    I'm going for a light weight "J" Frame myself.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Smith and Wesson J frame revolver is always a good choice. And your gun collection has to include a wheel gun!
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Can you guys like some examples for me?
    ~XD-45 Compact~
    You might be weak but God is Strong!

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Depends on what you want to spend. If you can find one and don't mind the pricetag ($800), a Seecamp LWS380 is a great pocket choice. Step up to a 9mm and in physical size some to a Kahr PM9 ($600ish). The LCP is a great choice also for around $350. Load it up with some of Hornady's new Critical Defense .380 ammo and that would be a potent pocket package.

There are a lot of great pocket holsters available for all of the above. Go over to the holster forum and start searching for ideas. I'm partial to my K&D Pocket Defender but for less, my Desantis Nemesis works in a pinch also. I'm in suits or at least dress pants 95% of my time when at work. Oh, I have a PM9 as my EDC and a Seecamp LWS380 on order (due 2/09).

HTH

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OLYXDGUY View Post
    Can you guys like some examples for me?
    For J frame Smiths: 442, 642, M&P340 are really popular.

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

There's a good reason the 642 is about the most popular CCW revolver on the planet - it's perfect for the job. I carry one about 75% of the time (either as primary or back-up).

For a potent - though pricey - little pocket job, a Rohrbaugh 9mm is hard to beat. I love mine, though the price for a new one is now over $1,100. But it is slim enough for the most stylish of dress.

Good luck hunting!

Cheers!

Jim D.

Ballistics by the inch: "Four guys, two chronographs, and 8,500 rounds of ammo."

Like Science Fiction? Read *or listen to* my novel, Communion of Dreams, for free.

Administrator
    There is the little Rohrbaugh 9mm.

Expensive. Really beautifully built.
    It is a specialty type firearm placing the 9mm cartridge in the smallest semi-automatic package possible.
    Designed to be carried a lot and not shot shot to death.

and no...not my gun and not my wimpy hand either.

cj
    My shrinking direction went from USPc and Taurus PT145, down to a Kel-Tec P11, followed by a PF-9, then finally a Ruger LCP. I think that's about as small as I'll get...except a little NAA revolver has now been calling to me...

Look at the NAA Guardian .380...very nice all metal to tame the recoil a little. About the price of a LCP, other than that the 642/442 is a very good choice.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I gotta say/recommend S&W J-Frame, 642. It fits all the needs you stated.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I have been carring a Glock 26. I have a Kel-tec P3at comming next week not near as nice a gun but alot smaller.

My everyday carry piece is a Taurus Millennium Pro PT745 (45Cal. 6+1 mag) very thin very small easily concealed and great stopping power.... BUT! I just got my Ruger LCP 380 as a B.U.G. and boy what a pleasure it is carrying it! I can easily forget I have it on me. A gun is useless if you don't have it with you and this little mouse gun easily slips into your pocket even if your just going to check the mail or walk the dog in your Pajamas.
    There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
    - General George Patton Jr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have a 638 J Frame that gets considerable carry time. For my beat up and not so small hands it's about as small as I can go, and with after market grips at that. Tried holding a Rohrbaugh once and it was not even easy to pull the trigger! Beautiful little bugger though...

Tried a NAA guardian once, not for my hands either. Nice thing about the J Frame is there are accessories and carry methods galore since they are so popular. The last ten years have seen a significant improvement in the ammo as well (well all ammo in general really). Another plus is the price tag, pretty reasonable. They do take some practice to master but it's possible to be very accurate with one.

Just my .02 worth.......it still won't buy much gas!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I personally do not like mouse guns (P3AT, LCP, Seecamp). I tried the Kel Tec and Ruger .380s, and they feel like cheap toys to me (no offense to those who own them). The smallest I would go is probably the Smith J Frames. My sister has a 638 I really like.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links