Springfield XD!

This is a discussion on Springfield XD! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I should add: you are 100% right about no absolutes. I was very resistant to accepting that for quite a while....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XD!

Senior Moderator
    I should add: you are 100% right about no absolutes. I was very resistant to accepting that for quite a while.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    I should add: you are 100% right about no absolutes. I was very resistant to accepting that for quite a while.
    There are too absolutes, just not in this context!

But I concur. I think Hollywood makes reloading seem far more common and practical than it really is.

Because everyone knows that the fight magically fades into slow motion around you the instant you hit that magazine release...

I am not sure how you guys got off the beaten path but cnc_marine was IMO off topic to what my questions were in the first place.

Nowhere in my post do I ask this question!

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

It's thread drift... to be honest I've completely forgotten what we were talking about! I keed I keed!

I stand by what I originally said. Let Springfield try to fix it. The XD should run like a top and I bet his will after one trip. He got the 1 in 1000 that had a problem.

I personally have yet to experience the rust issue so I didn't comment on it as it was already addressed.

Thant's cool Euc, I am not pointing you out or anything, cnc_marine went into left field and I didn't understand what he was saying regarding the post. I am guessing that he misunderstood or something and it took off from there. No big deal, I think I have got enough info to give him.

Please proceed with the debate.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    I am not following you! When the gun is empty you want the slide to lock back to change out the mag as quick as possible. Are you talking about a malfunction while shooting with the sldie locking back? if so that is not a concern with my friends XD...

Thant's cool Euc, I am not pointing you out or anything, cnc_marine went into left field and I didn't understand what he was saying regarding the post. I am guessing that he misunderstood or something and it took off from there. No big deal, I think I have got enough info to give him.

Please proceed with the debate.
    Ti.
    Ti,
    You asked for clarification about slide lock as it pertained to cnc_marine's post and it was explained by several subsequent posts including cnc_marine. Maybe there was some drift; maybe it was all pertinent to the subject, but it didn't seem to be "left field".

the school i went to called it a speed load but i guess you could call it a tactical load. its when you fire a few shots then dump the mag and replace with a full mag with one still in the chamber and possibly a few in the mag that you dump. if there is a real big lul posibly pick up the half loaded mag and put it in your pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Ti,
    You asked for clarification about slide lock as it pertained to cnc_marine's post and it was explained by several subsequent posts including cnc_marine. Maybe there was some drift; maybe it was all pertinent to the subject, but it didn't seem to be "left field".
    Actually I asked about the slide NOT locking back when the mag is empty that with a 1911 a simple mag change will do the trick for that problem but I did not know what the solution was for the XD.

Maybe I am misunderstanding something, I don't know?

It's really no big deal either way, I just wasn't following what cnc was talking about that had to do with the post? that's all.

Ti.

confused

now your confusing me i am saying you should never go into slide lock if you can avoid it its better to have 11 rounds (california) than 4 rounds. plus if in the event you need to fire again in the middle of a reload you already have one in the chamber. also if your slide doesnt lock back when you fire the last round you need to get your gun fixed.

Sorry i didnt check back into this one again till now but yeah were way off the orginal topic.

No where did i see it asked what to do when slide lock back in gunfight he asked about it not lock back at all.. As in on the Range

Lets get back on topic

oh well this forum is not about shooting at a range is called COMBAT CARRY not RANGE CARRY

Senior Moderator
    Original post: "...First thing is he is having problems with the slide not locking back when the gun is empty. I would not like this in a defesive situation and having to deal with the slide too..."

Doesn't that pretty much open the door to the slide locking or not locking back in a defensive situation and what to do about it, including tactical aspects?

But if it aint working right at the Range im pretty sure hes not gonna carry it thats why hes asked to fix the non lock back problem.

Senior Moderator
    In that case, the friend needs to be sure that he's not getting a finger on the slide lock - it's pretty easy to inadvertently get a finger on the slide lock and it'll sure keep the slide from locking back.

Ammo could be a problem too. If it's range or practice loads, it may not be quite strong enough to force the slide rearward enough to allow the slide lock to engage the notch in the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    This post is for my buddy that has and CC's an XD and has some slight issues with it, so I told him I would post the questions on here to get what your experance's are and what you changed if anything to fix the problem's.

First thing is he is having problems with the slide not locking back when the gun is empty. I would not like this in a defesive situation and having to deal with the slide too.

Can you change magazines or the gut's of the mag's he has to allow the slide to lock back when empty. What do you guy's do?

Second, The slide is prone to surface rusting according to him after wearing for a week or so. He is down in Florida so sweating is a given. He said his glock never did this but the XD is bad about it.

(I told him that a good holster would fix that problem) he is using the one that can with the XD package deal. Gun, holster, and two extra mags I think it was. But the holster is junk if you ask me.

Then changing the main spring do you all use the stock 17# the 19# or the HD 21# spring and why? also will this help slide lock by changing this?

Anyway what are your experances with the XD and what have you done to fix any problems listed or problems that you have had that are not listed?

Thank's, I am a 1911 guy so I am no help to him!

Ti.

Ok........as I'm seeing this trouble with the gun...........
    My perspective is, as is with any semi auto pistol.
    If take the empty mag out, as you'll look at the follower, you'll see a graduated step in it (one part is lower than the other) this step (if you'll alow me to call it) is made so your slide stop will be pushed upward and into a lock position when the mag/ weapon is empty.
    Question..Is the follower nylon? or metal? if it's nylon, you could give SA a call, tell them what's ongoing and I think they'll send you a new follower (as it's not making contact with the slide stop. The other issue might be the Slide stop itself.. as it may have been ground down below Factory tolerances, so it may not function corectly. You can find out real quick.. go to your Gun shop where you bought it, tell em what's going on, and ask to try another mag/ or several mags.. If the gun works, then you have a defective follower. If it doesn't work, then I'm pretty sure it's going to be the slide stop.

The holster given with the gun is nylon/plastic? if so.. it's collecting moisture from the heat/humidity, and leather absorbes a certain amount of moisture. Just keeping the gun in the holster when not carrying won't stop the process, as it's still going to collect moisture.. A slight spray of WD40, or good similar lubricant will help keep the proces from continuing on the slide..Might also be his body salts that are making the gun rust a bit..
    Hope this helps let us know what's going on after your friend trys my suggestion about the mags
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links