Springfield XD!

This is a discussion on Springfield XD! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This post is for my buddy that has and CC's an XD and has some slight issues with it, so I told him I would ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XD!

Springfield XD!

This post is for my buddy that has and CC's an XD and has some slight issues with it, so I told him I would post the questions on here to get what your experance's are and what you changed if anything to fix the problem's.

First thing is he is having problems with the slide not locking back when the gun is empty. I would not like this in a defesive situation and having to deal with the slide too.

Can you change magazines or the gut's of the mag's he has to allow the slide to lock back when empty. What do you guy's do?

Second, The slide is prone to surface rusting according to him after wearing for a week or so. He is down in Florida so sweating is a given. He said his glock never did this but the XD is bad about it.

(I told him that a good holster would fix that problem) he is using the one that can with the XD package deal. Gun, holster, and two extra mags I think it was. But the holster is junk if you ask me.

Then changing the main spring do you all use the stock 17# the 19# or the HD 21# spring and why? also will this help slide lock by changing this?

Anyway what are your experances with the XD and what have you done to fix any problems listed or problems that you have had that are not listed?

Thank's, I am a 1911 guy so I am no help to him!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

2. Remove Ads

As for locking back try changing the mag springs with the wolfe +10's

Rusting the way around that is to clean it really really well then oil it and let it soak in then oil again..

The wax it with Car wax really heavy and really good Holster doesnt seem to matter i use leather with mine and it rusts but i thought they got the problem fixed.

if you search the Xd has been discussed quite a bit

Is he using factory mags? If so, Springfield needs to be contacted. It's likely a simple fix but Springfield is pretty good about warranty.

The rust issue is heavily covered on the XD forum (www.hs2000talk.com). It's been a problem for some. Many Duracoat their XD's.

I have two XD's and zero problems with either.
    Dave

Yea he is using the stock mag's that came with the gun.

Are there other mags out there he can try for the XD?

The duracoat sounds good. Who would do that for the XD?

Also, thanks Bud, I will have him check into the Wolff +10's. I also did a search but 99% of it seems to be basicly the same ?'s with little info on his specific problems.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I have read about sporadic problems with the factory XD mags not locking the slide back. I'd have him contact SA and he should be able to get those mags replaced via warranty. As far as rusting on the slide, I'm guessing he has the blued finish. I have heard of rusting problems with the blued slide and the best fix I have heard about is the duracoat finish. Check AJAMES on the hs2000 website listed in this thread. He does a lot of buisness with his duracoating and has had very good results.

I have the Bi-Tone version of the XD and have personally had no problems with these issues. I received 3 mags when I bought my XD and they all cycle fine. The slide is the stainless finish so I also have not had a problem with the rusting. Contact with SA will most likely take care of at least the mag issue. They may have a fix for the rusting but I would probably still look into re-coating to make it as tough as possible.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

You can also send the gun back to Springfield and they will refinish it not sure how it holds up i don't visit the xd forums anymore to see if it holds up

Springfield will refinish it under the warranty

TiCarry,
    AJames at the XD forum has a good reputation. I have a local guy do anything I need Duracoated. He recently did his own XD and it looks super.
    Dave

Do not even bother with nonfactory XD mags. They cost as much or more and are worse in quality and function.

Call Springfield. It's probably a simple fix at the factory. I have two XD40s that see pretty good use (one is my carry gun) and have never experienced such problems. This is a problem that's not unique to the XD or even Springfield Armory either. It just happens sometimes.

I've heard of people who do get the XDs with problems receive impressive service and it usually gets fixed the first time.

slide lock in a gun fight

if your slide locks back in a gun fight your screwed. you should do a speed load if there is a lull in the action. if you run your gun dry you will be dead. you should always have one in the chamber. revolver is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by cnc_marine
    if your slide locks back in a gun fight your screwed. you should do a speed load if there is a lull in the action. if you run your gun dry you will be dead. you should always have one in the chamber. revolver is a different story.
    I am not following you! When the gun is empty you want the slide to lock back to change out the mag as quick as possible. Are you talking about a malfunction while shooting with the sldie locking back? if so that is not a concern with my friends XD.

Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by cnc_marine
    Actually, you should do a tactical reload, or reload with retention if there is a lull in the action.
    I'm not familiar with the term "speed load". What are you referring to?
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Senior Moderator
    There are a couple of schools of thought on reloading that relate to gunfighting. One is speed reload when the gun runs dry, the other is reload when you can, not when you have to.

A speed reload is dropping the mag from the gun with a fresh mag on the way to the mag well. It can be done with a partially loaded mag or when the slide locks back.

Many see the slide lock as a death sentence and something that can and should be prevented. After many, many training courses, including many FOF scenarios, I am convinced that if we can reload before running dry, that's good. But we won't always have such control of a gunfight that we can reload before we run dry.

Certainly running a gun dry in a gunfight is not desireable. But in a gunfight we won't be counting rounds; we may not even be conscious of how much we've actually shot, so unless the situation allows time and opportunity, we're likely going to shoot to slide lock. The only solution then is to speed reload from slide lock.

As civilians, it is highly unlikely that we will have time or opportunity to reload in a gunfight. It is much more likely that we will finsh the gunfight one way or the other with the rounds in the gun. There are few, few incidents where a civilian had an opportunity to "top off" or reload his gun.

OD*
    Well said, Tangle.
    There are no absolutes.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Senior Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Well said, Tangle.
    There are no absolutes.
    Absolutely!

OD*
    Cute.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links