Stopping Power

This is a discussion on Stopping Power within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always had a soft spot for revolvers. I just like them. However, I was viewing a site this morning called stoppingpower.info. They have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stopping Power

Stopping Power

I have always had a soft spot for revolvers. I just like them. However,
    I was viewing a site this morning called stoppingpower.info.

They have videos of different calibers hitting a frying pan at 25 yards.

StoppingPower.Info - 38Special Pistol FryingPan - StoppingPowerWiki
    Distance 25 yds.
    .38 Special SWC 158 gr
    Firearm Ruger 6" GP100

The .38 didn't penetrate the frying pan..just made a dent in it.

StoppingPower.Info - 40cal FryingPan - StoppingPowerWiki
    Distance 25 yds.
    Round Winchester FPFMJ
    Firearm Glock 23 .40

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Useful info if you're ever in the nightmare scenario of being attacked by a sentient frying pan.

In reality, the idea of "stopping power" is often overstated when dealing with handguns against humans, IMHO.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Tell that to the LEO in the article I just read about the perp who was shot center mass 17 times with a Glock .40 and the guy kept on coming...... Took the guy 4 minutes or so to die. Humans are different than frying pans. But it is interesting to see the difference.

Wow--a jacketed bulet had better penetration through metal than an unjacketed bullet...

Whoda thunk it?
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    It's like comparing apples and oranges, totally irrelevant.
    In reality the .38 would probably give you a better stop then the .40. The .40 was a FMJ you stand a better chance of a complete pass through. Since the .38 was a lead SWC it will probably give you some expansion, creating a larger wound channel.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    This subject is tough because some people are harder to kill .Think about it
    we are all not a like ,some are more determined to reach an objective and some maybe hopped up you don't know .Shot placement may have been poor
    ammunition may have be hardball instead of hollow point and the list could go on.

These pop up every once in a while... stopping power is important, but if you can't hit the target "stopping power" does not mean a whole lot.

Personally, I believe there is a minimum caliber... .38 in a revolver, and 9mm in a semi-auto (some might say .380)... if you can shoot a .45acp better than a 9mm you should buy a .45acp, but if you buy a .45acp for the stopping power and can shoot a 9mm better... on and on and on again... buy what you can shoot... two or three shoots center mass is better than two or three shoots in an arm or missing your target totally!!!
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Officer Down - The Peter Soulis Incident

17 shots from .40 S&W Winchester Ranger SXT center of mass, 22 shots overall hit him. He was still fighting. He died 4 minutes after the last shot was fired into him.

There is no such thing as stopping power if you're not willing to shoot with the intent to kill. Caliber doesn't mean anything if you can't place your shots fast and accurately.

Practice your Mozambique drills lately?
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I like what ML stated...it is overrated and incorrect perceptions generated from demo's. There is always the odd case of 17 shots...but how many actually practice on a moving target?

I don't want my bullets to go through the guy...just bounce around inside. Cuts down on collateral damage.

Rick

It is ALL about stopping power! If can't stop the threat then what is the use? I carry .45acp because I can handle it and shoot it well. It has the best "stopping power" in the "normal" carry guns. This is only true if you have the right ammo. I am not looking for penetration. I want to inflict as much damage/death as soon as possible. I am not looking to kill the BG, I am however looking to stay alive myself and that means stopping him! Stopping power is everything!

Oh, and I was attacked by a frying pan! I didn't shoot it as I was not wanting to harm the innocent bacon inside. It was only later that I realized that it was the presumed "innocent" bacon that had indeed harmed me by spattering its delicious grease on me! I can't help but wonder if the frying pan in the video was innocent as mine seems to be!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

OK i will take a stab at stopping power here. In guns there is such a thing but not to the extent people believe. Newton summed it up quite nicely in his third law of motion. "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Basically if your gun does not knock you down when you fire it will not knock down a person of the same size. the only place where a person can get knocked don from the force of a gun is with a heavy military weapon or a large shotgun and only if the person is off balance.

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    I want to inflict as much damage/death as soon as possible. I am not looking to kill the BG
    OK, I'm confused?
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Useful info if you're ever in the nightmare scenario of being attacked by a sentient frying pan.

In reality, the idea of "stopping power" is often overstated when dealing with handguns against humans, IMHO.

Matt
    I agree completely. Good hits and enough penetration are the only thing that matters.

If you want stopping power, time to use a shotgun or rifle because 80% of the time handgun shot people the person survives.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I carry a 10" cast iron frying pan in a high rise OWB at about 3:30 stongside.

I'm currently looking for a good shoulder holster for the folding omelett pan I carry as a back up.

I carry a 10" cast iron frying pan in a high rise OWB at about 3:30 stongside.

I'm currently looking for a good shoulder holster for the folding omelett pan I carry as a back up.
    LOL

Stay tuned..I am working on my next post. .45 stopping power vs other cooking ware

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/13/15...0a388e.jpg?v=0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links