Do you routinely alternate between different guns for CCW?

This is a discussion on Do you routinely alternate between different guns for CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see quite a few people say they carry various CCW guns. One person listed Sig, 1911, revolver, all of which have completely different operating ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you routinely alternate between different guns for CCW?

Do you routinely alternate between different guns for CCW?

I see quite a few people say they carry various CCW guns. One person listed Sig, 1911, revolver, all of which have completely different operating controls. One of the very first rules I was taught was to be consistent - switching between various guns on a weekly or monthly basis can lead to trouble when the SHTF and you have to react quickly. It could be catastrophic if you actually drew a 1911 but in your mind in that foggy instant thought you were carrying a revolver that day.... no bang.... forgot to hit the thumb safety.

Doesn't than kind of thing concern anyone? It's not as critical for home defense because chances are you'll have more time to react and the situation won't be as chaotic as somewhere in a dark alley etc. But I would never routinely alternate between different types of weapons for my primary CCW.

2. Remove Ads

I carry a S&W9c in wtnter & Ruger 357 in summer PS I know it's basackwards Just more comfy

VIP Member
    I switch different carry guns quite often. However, I do agree that staying with the same gun platform is the purist form to practice. Realistically though most people, including me, do change CCW from time to time. IMHO the biggest gap to jump is switching to or from a gun with an external on/off safety as in the 1911 that you mention. That gap needs to be filled with plenty of training and muscle memory; without training, and under great stress it might be possible for one to overlook the safety.

I don't see a real problem in switching from a Glock, to a Walther PPS, and to a Ruger LCP. I'm comfortable with adding a Sig DA/SA in there as well.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I have a 1911 waiting for me when I get back. I've had my Sig for a while now, and I absolutely love it. I think the 1911 is a little better for me for carry though. I feel like I'd be cheating on my sig to wear it instead though. Don't like to have a "range gun" or "safe queen". I guess I can resolve it to it's OK to have a backup gun in case one goes down or gets confiscated in a situation that happens or something. I don't think I'd alternate though. I believe there can only be one "best" gun for a particular person. Once you find that gun, why would you switch to anything else?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Many years ago . . .

...a good buddy of mine (LEO) took a little SNS Raven .25 I had and out-shot me when I was using a 4" Diamondback. I was stunned - I didn't think the gun was good for more than bad-breath distance. We were shooting at about 30 yards.

He looked at me and said "Well, my life could depend on being able to use this well."

Said it all. Since then, I have tried to keep an open mind about what I am carrying - whether a gun, a knife, or a folded newspaper - and respond to my environment accordingly.

Yeah, I have at least four weapons I carry regularly. Two have the same MOA. But I try not to get hung up on one set of procedures - rather, stay aware of what options I have at any given time.

Cheers -

Jim D.

Ballistics by the inch: "Four guys, two chronographs, and 8,500 rounds of ammo."

Like Science Fiction? Read *or listen to* my novel, Communion of Dreams, for free.

Lead Moderator
    Yes , but my carry guns are similar enough to not screw me up. (1911, HK USP , Walther PPS)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

yes i do, three different guns.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I carry 1911s and revolvers.
    And yea... I wipe the safety on my revolvers when I draw them.

Jim
    A Right not exercised, is a Right lost.

I see what you are saying. The moment something happens, you may forget. I do carry a differant gun every once in while. I have an XD45(mostly bedside, some carry) a Glock23, LCP, and a new S&W 642. Each one minus the new 642 has at least a 1,000 down the pipe(not fun with the LCP) I feel comfy with all of them. So, for me I don't THINK it is problem. Mostly due to the fact none of those guns have an external thumb safety.
    God Bless America!!

Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    I see quite a few people say they carry various CCW guns. One person listed Sig, 1911, revolver, all of which have completely different operating controls. One of the very first rules I was taught was to be consistent - switching between various guns on a weekly or monthly basis can lead to trouble when the SHTF and you have to react quickly. It could be catastrophic if you actually drew a 1911 but in your mind in that foggy instant thought you were carrying a revolver that day.... no bang.... forgot to hit the thumb safety.

Doesn't than kind of thing concern anyone? It's not as critical for home defense because chances are you'll have more time to react and the situation won't be as chaotic as somewhere in a dark alley etc. But I would never routinely alternate between different types of weapons for my primary CCW.
    I have a close friend who used to be a Seattle cop (retired). He carried a Glock® Mdl 17 as his primary & a Glock® Mdl 26 as a BUG/ODG. Same controls, same cartridge, it's a no brainer.

My strong hand gun is either a Smith M&P 45c or a 9c (same platform). I do however carry a JFrame weakhand and practice 90% weakhand with it. Although I do carry the little wheel gun strong side at times (I did tonight) I don't worry about platform change as none of my carry guns have external safeties to worry about.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

I only have 2, so I do switch between the 2 of them
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I try to stick with the same platform, my choice is 1911. When the SHTF, muscle memory will most likely take over and control destiny. I think a person should be consistent in their carry weapons. YMMV
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

yeah, I'll switch around just because, or depending on my dress or time of year.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Although my G27 is my main EDC, I do switch depending on my activities, weather, location and attire. My guns are pretty much aim and shoot with internal locks, which minimize any potential mix ups.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links