Best 4" Kimber Handgun

Best 4" Kimber Handgun

This is a discussion on Best 4" Kimber Handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested in getting a handgun to wear as a daily concealed weapon. I have done research and am interested in getting a Kimber ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 4" Kimber Handgun

Best 4" Kimber Handgun

I am interested in getting a handgun to wear as a daily concealed weapon. I have done research and am interested in getting a Kimber Pistol. I have determined that due to my desire to conceal the weapon I am probably best off getting a 4" barrel. I am writing to solicit opinions of which one of Kimber's 4" barreled handguns do you believe is the best. I was looking at the Pro CDP, Custom CDP or Pro TLE II (w/ or w/out GL). I have also noticed that the tactical, crimson carry, eclipse, SIS, Convert and Aegis series all come in the 4" as well. It appears that the Convert is the priciest - but assuming all prices are equal (i.e. price is not important) does one of these guns stand out above the rest? I plan on shooting it at a range for practice and sport, as well as using it as a daily carry pistol. Thanks for all comments.

I have both the Pro CDP and Pro Eclipse. Weight wise, the CDP is lighter and somewhat easier to carry over the course of a day. I do however carry both and the difference to me is not huge.

If I were to have only one, and use it for carry and range, I would go with the all steel Eclipse, only because in the back of my mind, I would be worrying about wearing out the aluminum frame on the CDP.

Both are very accurate and trouble free and the wear factor on the CDP is probably more in my head than a real problem.

AEA
    One that works!.....Everytime!

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by mnshooter View Post
    I have both the Pro CDP and Pro Eclipse. Weight wise, the CDP is lighter and somewhat easier to carry over the course of a day. I do however carry both and the difference to me is not huge.

If I were to have only one, and use it for carry and range, I would go with the all steel Eclipse, only because in the back of my mind, I would be worrying about wearing out the aluminum frame on the CDP.

Both are very accurate and trouble free and the wear factor on the CDP is probably more in my head than a real problem.
    I have and carry a Kimber Ultra Carry, which has a 3'' barrel. I was thinking of getting a Pro Carry, but am concerned about difficulty of concealing it because of the larger Commander sized grip, as compared to the Officer size on the Ultra Carry.

What is your experience with the Pro size frame for carry?
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    My EDC is the Ultra Carry II. I find that it conceals slightly easier than my Pro CDP II. They are both scary accurate but because the 4" CDP has a longer sight radius, it is a little more accurate at farther distances. I use the CDP II for USPSA/IPSC shooting matches for this reason. When I do carry the CDP concealed, I cannot tell that there is much difference between the 2. Personally, I dont think you can go wrong with any of the 4" Kimbers.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    My nephew has and likes Kimber. He has a few of their handgun's. I don't know the model but he has the small Kimber .45 but doesn't recommend it for CC as it has had times to malfunction.
    He say's this isn't just Kimber's little .45 but he isn't comfortable with just about any small .45 as he has heard it's a general problem with several others. Just too much gun to put in such a small size.
    I think he was mostly talking of the 3" barrel ones and not necessarily the 4" or longer ones.

That being said. My primary CC most of the time is my S&W CS45 which has never failed when shot. Not to say it never will - any gun "could" and it's a good idea to practice sometimes "faking" a failure and recovery - just in case...
    For God, Family and Country!

Pro CDP

I'd vote for the Pro CDP. It seems the perfect size and weight for carry, and does well at the range. I have about 1500 rounds through mine with no problems. I put the slim grip panels on it, and replaced the ambi safety with a single side safety. I also like the Wilson magazines.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I'd vote for the Pro CDP. It seems the perfect size and weight for carry, and does well at the range. I have about 1500 rounds through mine with no problems. I put the slim grip panels on it, and replaced the ambi safety with a single side safety. I also like the Wilson magazines.

+1 on the Pro CDP. I also have Wilson 8 rnd mags and Crimson Trace black carbon fiber appearance laser grips. It conceals in a Galco IWB holster under everything but t-shirts. Under sweatshirts, sweaters, or a jacket it disappears!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I personally will carry no 1911 with a barrel shorter than the original
    5". Carried a Champion for a while then it started acting up. After 4 trips back to SA got rid of it and went to a Browninng HP. Prior to them I carried and still do carry my 1990 1911 standard. This 1911 is the most reliable pistol I own. Just can't afford the .45 ammo so carry the HP. Getting back to the subject I have seen more malfunctions with the shorter barreled 1911's than any other pistols out there. That 5 inch is just as easy to conceal as a 4 inch with the right holster.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

You would probably do well to look at the Kimber Compact. Based on your needs, it sounds like it fits perfectly. It has the 4.25" barrel and the compact grip found on the Ultra series. The Compact comes in either the stainless or the CDP model, which would be my choice based on your requirements.

Good luck

VIP Member
    I looked at a bunch of Kimbers today and wanted a SIS Pro but then I saw her... a beautiful Tactical Pro II! It was love I tell ya. Yup, she came home with me this afternoon.

I still don't know what's the best 4" Kimber but I'll bet the Tactical Pro II is right up there!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

A bobtailed Pro is one of the nicest carrying and shooting guns there is.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I carry a Pro Elite to which I have added Crimson Trace Burlwood Grips it is very similar to the Crimson Carry, just burlwood color grips compared to the rosewood. It is dead on seriously accurate with or without the laser. I carry mine in a Minatour holster by Comp Tac, some days as long as 16 hours and it is as comfortable as any rig I carry.

I have an Eclipse Pro that is my EDC, a Eclipse Ultra for those specialized carry situations and a brand new TLE Pro that just happened to arrive this afternoon. I really like the 4" steel platform and it feels great while carrying and even better shooting.

Nice get THumper...I too have been looking for a 4" kimber. Shot the Eclipse and really liked the feel and handling of the gun. Stainless steel frame calls my name I tell you, but I love the tactical too. Congrats!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links