SP101 - Page 2

SP101

This is a discussion on SP101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by old grunt Any thoughts on this fine Ruger revolver?? I'm thinking of a 357 DAO version with some custom features: chamfer the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: SP101

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    Any thoughts on this fine Ruger revolver?? I'm thinking of a 357 DAO version with some custom features: chamfer the charge holes, "break"all the sharp edges, trigger job(maybe a 9lb DA pull)and either a bead blast or if $$ is available a Black T finish. If you got a 101 with some extra "touches" post some pics. THANKS GUYS!!
    Sounds like two of my SP101 snubbies, which were customized by Jack Weigand when he was still doing custom 'smithing. He is mentioned on Gemini Customs website, as Mark Morganti carries on Mr. Weigand's work, including Hybra-porting, though mine were not ported. The SP101 is my idea of the perfect snubby, and I don't find them too large or heavy.

I have a third SP101 snubby, which I cherry-picked by handling a wide number of them over time, looking for one with a spur on the hammer that had a smooth action. This one needs no trigger work or other 'smithing, being perfect as-is.

Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    Cant go wrong with the sp101, all I did to mine was to change the grips to a hogue model.
    I tried the Hogue grips on a SP101 a friend owned before I bought mine. I bought my 2 1/4" and did some research and bought the Trausch grips and they were much more comfortable for me.

I have the double action .357 and I bobbed the hammer and rounded the sharp edges of the trigger guard and especially the trigger. The trigger from the factory hurt my finger. I wanted a bobbed hammer but didn't want double action only. For load development, I like to shoot single action.

I found a practice load that shot .41" off a bench at 7 yards, single action. A 158 gr RNFP Chey Cast lead bullet with 3.4 gr of Clays. I don't do nearly as well offhand, double action

It's a great pistol but I don't shoot it much. It seems as I get older my hands (and knuckles) don't seem to work as well. I decided I'm going to spend my time with my STI 9mm Trojan and the DW CBOB 45 I ordered that should be here Monday I've been carrying a Kahr CW9 and I shoot it better than the Ruger. I know that more practice with the Ruger would pay off but the trigger guard hits my right middle finger knuckle and it hurts. Danged arthritis

Cloudpeak

recently shot one of these. Banged thru 2 cylinders of .357, and it handled it great. Bit my trigger finger first shot. Adjusted trigger finger and it shot nice, and was pretty darn accurate. Been thinking how one would carry OWB.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Tim: Real nice looking grips on your wheel gun.

Badger Custom Grips, and an XS Standard Dot front sight.

Here's mine:

Nothing fancy, works great like it is.
    Peace through Superior Firepower.

My DAO is totally stock, cept for some inexpensive red oak grip inserts.
    The stock grip is just fine for me, good dampening and good concealment. I shoot and keep .357 in it, no probs; maybe partial second slower than .38+p getting back on target, but believe extra oomph of the .357 round more than makes up for that.

Good, comfy IWB carry with David Bullard's "Dual Carry":

PHB
    I just purchased the SP 101 In 327 Fed Mag 3" love it shoots great recoil not bad at all also have it in 2" bobbed hammer love them both have added the crimson trace grips to the 327 not sighted them in yet great carry gun
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." -- President John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    recently shot one of these. Banged thru 2 cylinders of .357, and it handled it great. Bit my trigger finger first shot. Adjusted trigger finger and it shot nice, and was pretty darn accurate. Been thinking how one would carry OWB.
    When a Ruger revolver nips my trigger finger, I dress down the back corners of the trigger with a small sharpening stone. This keeps that corner of the trigger from being able to grab the skin and trap it against the back of the trigger guard.

SP101

Some beautiful revolvers there guys!! THANKS!! I really like those Badger grips!! They remind me of the Eagle Secret Service Grips for my now goneSmith 640. Those grips make a swan out of an ugly(but very effective)duckling!! This gun is on my"must purchase" list!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by PHB View Post
    I just purchased the SP 101 In 327 Fed Mag 3" love it shoots great recoil not bad at all ...
    What ammunition do you shoot at the range?

I've run through several boxes of the 85g Federal Hyda-shok getting comfortable with it, as this would be my carry ammunition, but at $1.10 per shot, it gets expensive fast. The 100g JSP would be about 1/2 that price, but I haven't been able to try it yet.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Love my SP 101! Picture doesn't show it, but, I just added Crimson Trace grips. I had Hogues, and love them but I really wanted to add the Crimson Trace. The grips themselves are very nice, laser aside.

I love mine. A bit heavy but you get used to it.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Tons of upgrades on my SP101! OK, maybe not...

A bit of file work to the hammer spur and trigger (after this photo was taken), and a couple of sets of grip inserts from .41 Magnum works for me. A lot of range work behind the barn has smoothed out the trigger nicely. Mine rides in a D.M. Bullard Dual Carry Conceal holster IWB (like OhShoot's), or an old DeSantis belt holster made for the Colt Detective Special with the thumbreak removed. Carry ammo is Buffalo Bore's Short Barrel 158gr Gold Dot load.

rd
    "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Homer Bannon - Hud 1963
    Behind the Barn

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar

Interesting to see this SP-101 buying activity during the winter, but Nothing amazes me these past few months.

Here I am busting out some Magnums.

God luck with your Ruger purchase.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links