Charter Arms, Opinions? (-new & old-)

This is a discussion on Charter Arms, Opinions? (-new & old-) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Charter Arms has been around for a while through different names... Charter Arms, Charco, Charter 2000, Charter Arms (Again), etc... What have your experiences been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms, Opinions? (-new & old-)

Charter Arms has been around for a while through different names... Charter Arms, Charco, Charter 2000, Charter Arms (Again), etc...

What have your experiences been with Charter, their models, and their customer service...

Please give any first hand opinions and experience with Charter, especially with the latest incarnations, Charter 2000 and (the new) Charter Arms

Regardless, Im seriously considering a new .44 Spl Bulldog and/or a .38 Spl Police Undercover (6 shot). Can anybody give me a good reason not to buy them?
    Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape.

Like beer? Good beer? Then go here: http://bierbreath.blogspot.com

I LOVE my wife's .44sp Target Bulldog....One of the smoothest guns I've ever fired...YMMV however...Stay away from the .357 pug....

not a bad gun. i am looking for the south paw model. about 95% of owners likes their charter arms. the 44 spl is a great gun. one of the best sellers.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I checked one out in my local store a few years ago. I wasn't impressed at all by the overall fit and finish. The S&W next to it was less than $100 more and looked and felt 5x as nice. They might have improved since then.

That said I've been watching reports on the newer ones because I was interested in their Pathfinder .22 (a LNIB Hi-Standard Sentinel 3" 9 shot .22 scratched that itch though) and people who have them seem to like them , the .44 Special version especially. There are still some reports of quality being somewhat hit and miss though so I wouldn't buy one I couldn't see first. If you haven't seen, and it's not on their site yet, they have announced a new line of revolvers for rimless cartridges. They are starting with the .40 with 9mm and .45 acp to quickly follow. If the quality is there these should be a big hit.

Charter Arms' New Revolutionary Rimless Revolver | AmmoLand.com

Charter Arms, Dayton, OH --(AmmoLand.com)- Charter Arms announces the Charter Arms Rimless Revolver (CARR) a revolutionary new rimless revolver for popular semi-auto cartridges.

Problem: The major drawback to rimless semi-auto cartridges in revolvers is they require specially made revolvers. These low-production, somewhat scarce and, highly-specialized revolvers are limited to sometimes fragile and expensive moon/half moon ammunition clips. Generally, only revolver aficionados and collectors bother with (.45ACP and 9mm Parabellum) rimless revolvers. While they may sometimes be fired without the specialized moon clips, generally the ejector rod will not eject the free-floating fired cases (got a pencil?).

Solution: Charter Arms has come up with an affordable revolver that chambers rimless semi-auto rounds in the same manner as a standard rimmed-cartridge revolver.

Available Calibers: Charter Arms will first offer the .40 S&W chambering, followed quickly by the .45ACP and 919 mm Parabellum (the 9mm Parabellum revolver will also chamber factory .380ACP). All three of Charter Arms’ Rimless Revolvers (9mm, .40 and .45) are rated for higher velocity +P loadings.

Availability:
    The first to be built will be the .40 caliber (currently there is no .40 available in any revolver). Charter Arms plan is the .40 should ship to distributors the first quarter of 2009. Some 90-120 days after the .40 the .45ACP will follow and some 90-120 days after the .45ACP the 9mm will follow

The advantage is now the average gun owner can own an affordable, trouble-free revolver chambered in these popular semi-auto rounds without the need for specialized ammunition clips and a specialized gun.

Back up and self-defense: For law enforcement work the always ready-to-fire, fiddle-factor-free revolver is the back up to have; especially if is the same caliber as the officer’s carry gun. As a primary self-defense carry gun, these three calibers mean reliable protection in popular semi-auto self defense-calibers.

If more power is needed, step up to +P ammo. The advantage with Charter Arms Rimless Revolvers is they will fire any mix of cartridges while maintaining 100% reliability. For plinking with .45ACP or 9mm surplus and discounted military type ammo, the affordable Charter Arms Rimless Revolver will prove to be very economical and it’s also a .380 revolver. Now that is fun!

The secret is the patent-pending Charter Arms Rimless Revolver Round System. Basically, when a round is loaded into the chamber a specialized spring engages the cartridge’s ejector groove. When the cylinder is opened and the ejector rod operated, it extracts and ejects the fired cases.

Models: Initially snubbarrels (2″ 9mm and 2.2″ .40 and .45ACP) as these revolvers are designed for self- defense and back up. The 9mm is built on Charter Arms’ compact and lightweight undercover platform featuring an aluminum frame and weighing only 12 ounces. The .40 and .45ACP built on the popular and robust Bulldog frame due to the larger diameter of these cartridges while maintaining a compact profile.

Availability: First quarter of 2009.

Warrantee: Charter Arms has an industry exclusive lifetime warranty on its revolvers.

MSRP Prices: 9mm $399.00, .40 $449.00, .45ACP $449.00

Brought to you by - AMMO LAND.COM - The Free Press Release Service for the Shooting Industry! AmmoLand.com The Shooting Sports News and Business Service .

I went to their site and noticed the Goldfinger model, how could I not. I think they are trying to corner the pocket revolver market for pimps and gangsta rappers. It just needs some black mother of pearl grips and a cubic zirconium front site dot.

Charter Undercover Lite Black #53870

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Wow, that's quite a story to drop! Thanks for posting this, it'll be interesting to see how these work out. If they're not overly complicated and hold up, could really be an advancement for Charter Arms popularity.

ETA.... wrote the above in response to the rimless cartridge revolver announcement, not the odd colored pimp pistol in the post that appeared while I was writing.... BTW, you know that one comes in pink too, don't you? No, really! Even a lefty version...

Charter Pink Lady 53830
    Last edited by T Bone; January 10th, 2009 at 12:04 AM. Reason: insert pic
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

You're welcome. I could see the appeal as a police backup gun since the rounds in the spare mag could used for it if needed. It's such an obvious combo I don't know why someone (S&W) didn't think of it before especially since S&W already made a the model 547 revolver with an extractor that, like the on the Charters, could eject rimless cartridges.

Watch for S&W to jump on this bandwagon fast.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    The shop I work at has never sent a Charter Arms back to the factory. We have sent 3 Kahrs back in the last 2 Years. You never know.......

In the early 80s, my now-wife was a single mom living in the country. She bought a slightly used Charter Arms Police Bulldog (6-shot 38 Spcl) from a family friend to keep in the nightstand. She never fired it until about a year ago when she went to the range with me. I've put a few hundred rounds through it over the last 10 years or so, with the following observations:

-At 7 yards, it shoots 4 or 5 inches low left, always.

-In single action mode, it has a hair-trigger. Dangerously light.

- I had to have the hammer spring replaced last year. I'm sure the gun has less than 1,000 rounds through it. Probably no more than 500, in spite of being about 25 years old.

- Although I enjoy a revolver, I haven't put more than 20 rounds through the Charter Arms since I bought a S&W Model 19 snubbie. The S&W feels much better, and I'm afraid I'll break something else on the Charter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 40 View Post
    Charter Arms has been around for a while through different names... Charter Arms, Charco, Charter 2000, Charter Arms (Again), etc...

Regardless, Im seriously considering a new .44 Spl Bulldog and/or a .38 Spl Police Undercover (6 shot). Can anybody give me a good reason not to buy them?
    First off I do not have any experiance with Charter Arms for good reason. I do my best to buy only quality handguns for carry use and seeing as all of my handguns get carried from time to time....

Now I am not trying to pick on Charter, it may be a fine company but when it comes to choosing a tool that will best suit my needs I am one who likes quality and reliability...this does not seem to be Charters history. You need to ask yourself why have they changed names no many times? Glock has been Glock for a long time. Smith and Wesson has been Smith and Wesson. This is undoubtedly due to their great reputations. Name recognition is a good thing when you have a good product. Now Taurus on the other hand Sorry, I couln't resist!

This being said, if it is not a defense gun they who cares? Go for it!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

The name changes came about from family vs outsider ownership infighting and whatnot.
    The general take on Charter is to avoid the years where "Charco" is used as name. Quality control apparently suffered some during those years.
    Otherwise, they are okay. Not great, like SW or Ruger, but "okay", in that they are generally reliable and safe enough. Certainly as good as Taurus or Rossi revos.

I have an Undercover .38 from the late 60's, and it's still a reliable shooter.

- OS

I'm planning on giving the Bulldog Pug .44 a try before too long. I'm not expecting it to be a S&W, but for what I want it for, I expect it will be just fine so long as it shoots basically point of aim at 7 yards and goes bang every time I drop the hammer on a live round.

Once I drop the cash and try it out, I'll post the results. It will be a new production, and probably stainless DAO.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

A friend of mine was given a SS Charter Arms Bulldog .44. She can shoot that thing off-hand, one hand only, well enough that the BG's are toast if need be.
    No function problems have surfaced. We're going shooting again next week and she plans on putting a bunch of rounds through the Bulldog. I'll report any problems, but I don't anticipate any.
    She liked the S&W 642 (No lock) I bought for my son and may get one for CCW. She's not getting rid of her .44 though.
    The current CA's revolvers are good quality. Not a Python, but not bad either.

Charter Arms .38

I've owned a Charter Arms .38 since the mid-80's. It has never failed to fire or malfunctioned in any manner. Can't speak to the newer iterations of the company, however.
    Religion won't prevent you from committing a sin. It will, however, prevent you from enjoying it as much as you'd like to.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuchak View Post
    I went to their site and noticed the Goldfinger model, how could I not. I think they are trying to corner the pocket revolver market for pimps and gangsta rappers. It just needs some black mother of pearl grips and a cubic zirconium front site dot.

Charter Undercover Lite Black #53870
    I think I found a gun I don t want!My wife will be happy
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links