Need S&W 442 advice

This is a discussion on Need S&W 442 advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the gun store and brought back a new S&W 442 this is my first wheel gun (been eyeing them for a while) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need S&W 442 advice

Need S&W 442 advice

I went to the gun store and brought back a new S&W 442 this is my first wheel gun (been eyeing them for a while) anyways I bought a uncle mikes pocket holster and now am in search for speed clips or strips.

I think I would rather have the clips because they look faster than strips, so if anyone has advice on what to get and brands please let me know. I am also having trouble finding were I could purchase them online, anyone have a good site?

I plan on going to the range later this week to get use to the double action trigger pull, I bought 200 rounds of practice ammo and 40 rounds of carry ammo. anyways any advice on cleaning and accessories would be appreciated, this is going to be my new carry option for when i don't want to lug around my XD.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the purchase! I own a 642 - same gun, different finish.

I have both speed strips and a speedloader for it, but find each of be a compromise in different directions. The speed strips are very easy to carry but I find them slower to use. The speed loaders are totally opposite - bulky to carry yet quicker to use.
    Glock 19, 26 & 36 | Kahr K9 & PM9 | S&W M&P9c, 642 & 640 | Ruger LCP

Look at ebay just type in speed loaders they have them there cheap. HKS is a very respected brand. Binchi makes god speed strips. you can find them on ebay too.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Moderator
    A speedloader is much faster than speed strips.

You can carry 3 speedstrips in the same space as one speedloader.

I carry speedstrips because loading a revolver is never going to be lighting fast unless you are Welcome to Jerry Miculek.com
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Good advice by jwhite75. I carry the Bianchi speed strips when I carry my J frame. If you don't trust using ebay, MidwayUSA is a very good firearms supply website, with good prices:

MidwayUSA - Bianchi 580 Speed Strips 38 Special and 357 Magnum Package of 2
    MidwayUSA - HKS Revolver Speedloader Charter Arms, Rossi 68, Ruger SP101, S&W 36, 37, 38, 40, 42, 49, 60 38 Special, 357 Magnum

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I'm the first to admit my J-frames are my "lazy guns". I wear them when I don't want much crap hanging off of me. That being said, I generally carry a speed strip if I'm carrying my S&W 640.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

I bought a couple speed strips so here is a new question, do I just stick them in my pocket? seems like the rounds would fallout or collect pocket lint..... do they make protective sleeves or am i just worrying to much?

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    I bought a couple speed strips so here is a new question, do I just stick them in my pocket? seems like the rounds would fallout or collect pocket lint..... do they make protective sleeves or am i just worrying to much?
    I just keep mine in my strong side pocket (pants or jacket). If it is a good speedstrip, the rounds won't fall out. Unless you keep a lot of nasty stuff loose in your pockets, lint and pocket trash should not be an issue. Of course, you want to keep it in a pocket that you can get to in a hurry and that is not so full of other junk (keys; cell phone; etc) that you can't extract the speed strip in a hurry.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

When I carry my wheelie I carry two speed loaders in cigarett case, can't see em & easy to get to/ HKS's PS thats on my belt weak side

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    I carry them loose... sometimes I use a pouch. Several companies make them, I got mine from Simply Rugged.

Speed Strip Pouch

Scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Just ordered some speed loaders and strips yesterday for my wife and I to use with our 642/442. Got both figuring we could use what ever is best for what we are wearing at that time.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Here's what I use to carry my speed strips:

Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

It rides on the belt at about 4:00 right behind the hip and/or IWB holster. I've seen these wallets made by high end makers for $80 or better so I find this one to be a great value. I do wish it had a black snap instead of silver but it functions superbly, is secure, and is very well priced.

Well, I've got both. At work I carry a speed strip loose in strong side front pocket. Pocket lint is not a problem and I work in a dusty environment.

I also have a pair of Jet Loaders from Brownells. Love 'em. Even with my aftermarket grips there are no clearance issues. I can either carry them in a cell phone pouch or in the fitted drop down holders on my Monarch shoulder holster. Much, much faster than a strip. Just drop them in and the spring sends the 5 rounds home.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Prepare to be disappointed with the sights and oh yeah they disappear in low light. Save your pennies and get a crimson trace grip. It will take that 442 from a 3 yard gun to a 25 yard gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Here's what I use to carry my speed strips:

Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

It rides on the belt at about 4:00 right behind the hip and/or IWB holster. I've seen these wallets made by high end makers for $80 or better so I find this one to be a great value. I do wish it had a black snap instead of silver but it functions superbly, is secure, and is very well priced.
    Thanks for the link, exactly what i was looking for and I just placed an order. I ordered both a speedloader and a set of strips so it will be trial and error until I figure what works for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links