bought a new Kahr P9

bought a new Kahr P9

This is a discussion on bought a new Kahr P9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a new Kahr P9 last week. I like the fact that it is small and flat, thus making it easy to conceal. I'm ...

Thread: bought a new Kahr P9

bought a new Kahr P9

I bought a new Kahr P9 last week. I like the fact that it is small and flat, thus making it easy to conceal. I'm having a little trouble shhoting it. It seems to shoot left and low. I thought it was operator error, until i handed it to my friend and he shot low, but not as left as I did. I have shot a few decent groups at 17' and 25', but not as many as I'd like. I know it isn't a match grade target pistol, but it seems a little off to me. At the same distances with my XD 4" I can get 2" groups. I have heard that the Kahrs get better after they break in. Any body have experience with this model? And if I decide to carry this thing what kind of holster?

I would bet it is a matter of getting used to the trigger. Low and left is all the signs of that.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I would try shooting it some more try getting used to the trigger. break it in and it might tighten up some ..

After about 400 rounds if its not grouping good then i would start looking for something wrong.

Assistant Administrator
    Not a Kahr person but always pleased for anyone who has a new gun

Certainly get it broke in some more and like as not hopefully POI will pull in tighter, as you get more familiar.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Are you left handed? Seems I usually shoot left a bit till I get used to a new gun(I'm Left handed)

I have a Kahr P40 and love it. Definitely takes some breaking in, more for you not the gun. Mine took more getting used to than any other pistol. Good choice, they are designed specifically for concealed carry.

Thanks for all your input. I will just have to go to the range again and shoot it some more. I have about 200 rounds through it. rocky I'm right handed BTW. One thing that will take some getting used to is the sights, it has a dot and post vs. the 3 dot like everything else I've ever shot.

The dot and post style takes a bit to get used to but i like um myself i have a set on another gun..

Administrator

Post The Kahr P9

Addition: ~ OK found it ~ Click LINK at Bottom of this post.

I read a halfway decent older web article on the KAHR P9 a while back and I saved that article to my computer...now if I can only find the doggone thing.

Damn! My computer is like a giant overstuffed closet crammed full of boxes of informational stuff.

I seem to remember the little Kahr getting slightly better than 3.5" 5 shot handheld groups at 25' with Federal JHPs

Let me go look.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That was EASY...just found it.

OK Remember this Combat Handguns article dates back to 2000 but, read it anyway...it's a nice, honest article.

Also remember that Haarts Recoil Reducers is out of business. They are no more so don't waste a phone call.

CLICK HERE To Travel Back In Time To The Year 2000 :~)

I've had mine since 10/05, and have put around 750 rounds through so far. Had one or two FTF's in the first few sessions, but no malfunctions in the last several. Very pleasant to shoot for it's size/weight. My groups have tightened up a bit since the first few sessions, so keep at it. Might try dry-fire practice to help speed up familiarity with the trigger pull.

So far my only rig for this is a Smartcarry holster. The P9 virtually disappears here with it's narrow frame, and it's light enough that I pretty much forget about it. I'm considering a FIST kydex pocket holster next, and then maybe a KD for OWB. Seems to be good support from the holster manufacturers, so you have plenty to choose from.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I've had one about a year. I use a Fist #3 kydex with a J hook IWB holster and love it. Easy on/off and it's secure.

As for shooting, mine was sloppy at first. After 1000 rounds, several take downs and thorough cleaning I'm able to shoot one ragged hole at 10yds with the right Ammo. At 25 yards I'm at about 3" but will normally have some fliers that are all my fault.

Winchester white box ammos is cheap and leaves me with a group of almost 12" at 25 yards. It's horrible for accuracy. I use some remmington and it's a lot better.

The long trigger pull requires a LOT of getting used to, at least it did for me. I have three dot night sights which are good sights but I have poor eyes. The gun is a little snappy so my followup shots on double taps aren't the best.

I practice "point shooting" alot with the gun and have gotten surprisingly good. I had an instructor show me his technique and although I was doubtful at first, I have a great deal of confidence in the technique and find it a lot of fun.

I believe the gun is reasonably accurate for it's intended purpose which is 10 yards or less in the heat of the moment. I like how flat it is and how easy it is to conceal. The grip is fantasitic and mine has never had a malfunction of any kind with any kind of ammo I've fed it.

I'd say the single greatest thing that affected accuracy for me was getting used to the long trigger and then the ammo selection.

As for holsters, I'd like to try a MaxCon V in leather to see it that would be the ideal IWB for me. Again, I like the Fist Kydex J hook but it's not as secure as the MaxCon would be. I tried a smart carry but it's too uncomfortable (I'm 5'7" and not overweight). I simply don't buy it that guys are concealing full size handguns in smartcarrys unless their pants are just plain baggy and loose all over. If you wear regular fitting dress pants the gun will jam you and you'll see the bottom edge of it when you're sitting poking out. The gun is light enough to put in a pocket type holster and then thrown in a coat pocket but I personally don't like that mode of carry. I'd also like to get a very compact OWB holster for it.

I tried a Blade Tech Tuckable and it was HORRIBLE for concealment because the width of the holster was way wider than the gun. It might work on a big guy but not on a slim guy. The tab that makes it tuckable is so rigid that your belt goes over the gun and then over the tab and then starts back to your waist and that leaves a big gap betweent he back edge of the weapon/hoster and your side.

Good luck with your weapon!

Gideon

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The length of the trigger pull takes some getting used to unless you have shot DA revolvers before. It will need a 200 round break in period before it is totally reliable. I've found that the CCI/Speer 124 grain rounds are the most accurate, but that may just be my gun. I'm currently shopping around for holsters myself. I have a CTAC that I find uncomfortable because of the rigidity and thickness. I'm looking at OWB now or maybe a leather IWB. I have carried mine in a fanny pack and in a cargo pocket, but you need to put something elsi in the pocket to break up the outline (I use a cellphone or a block of styrofoam cut to size).

Thanks again for the input. I shot Winchester white box, Magtech, American Eagle, and some gun show reloads. None seemed to be any better than the others. I fired some Corbon 124 +P and some SXT 145 grain, they seemed a little better. I guess i just need to get use to it. I was thinking about getting a High Noon Tailgunner. Anybody have one?

Links