New carry rig - XD-m and UBG Canute

This is a discussion on New carry rig - XD-m and UBG Canute within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I finally got around to snap a few shots of my new XD-m 9mm and UBG Canute. This is replacing my XD-40 and... UBG ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New carry rig - XD-m and UBG Canute

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar

Well, I finally got around to snap a few shots of my new XD-m 9mm and UBG Canute. This is replacing my XD-40 and... UBG Canute. The new holster is reinforced, based on what I learned with the last one. Well, without further ado...

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Sweet set up.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks, I've been wanting the 9mm version since the .40 was first announced. I just wish it was bi-tone, but the melonite was in stock and a LOT cheaper. I paid $580 plus tax for it - I can live without the stainless for that price!

VIP Member
    Chooie, you can send me all that .40 cal ammo you've been hording, now that you got your 9mm!!

Nice looking rig.

Chooie, why the 9mm?

Modern 9mm hollow points have very little performance difference from their .40 S&W counterparts, so I feel comfortable in the terminal performance of my chosen carry round (Federal HST 124 gr +P). On top of that, there's the ability to fire more than 13 rounds before reloading (compared to my old XD) with a more manageable recoil impulse. On top of THAT, practice is a heck of a lot cheaper and my wife might actually shoot this one (she didn't like the way the .40 recoil felt).

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Modern 9mm hollow points have very little performance difference from their .40 S&W counterparts, so I feel comfortable in the terminal performance of my chosen carry round (Federal HST 124 gr +P). On top of that, there's the ability to fire more than 13 rounds before reloading (compared to my old XD) with a more manageable recoil impulse. On top of THAT, practice is a heck of a lot cheaper and my wife might actually shoot this one (she didn't like the way the .40 recoil felt).
    +1
    All reasons why I got my P229 in 9mm as opposed to .40

Nice holster. I'm looking to get a UBG Canute for my 229 as well in the near future.
    Sig Sauer P229 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380
    Colt XSE 1911 .45

Thanks, guys. I currently own a .40 but have been leaning towards getting a 239 in 9mm for all the reasons y'all mentioned (esp the wife...want her to shoot it and like it). I'm going to a local gun show tomorrow and am really hoping to find a 239 SAS in 9mm!

VIP Member
    Nice combination.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Chooie, Nice set up, I was going to order a Canute this week also but got laid off so I'm going to have to wait. The newer 9mm have come a long ways, I had a S&W 659 and it was hard to hit the broad side of a barn while standing inside.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

If the weather holds out I'll do some shooting tomorrow and post some pics.

Very nice setup Chooie,

Do you have a source for the above information? I have always loved .40 but am considering getting the XDM 9mm for two reasons. 9mm is cheaper than .40 and the XDM holds 19+1 9mm as opposed to 16+1 .40.

It would be nice to see some data showing that the rounds (9mm and .40 cal) are comparable.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastie 585 View Post
    Very nice setup Chooie,

Do you have a source for the above information? I have always loved .40 but am considering getting the XDM 9mm for two reasons. 9mm is cheaper than .40 and the XDM holds 19+1 9mm as opposed to 16+1 .40.

It would be nice to see some data showing that the rounds (9mm and .40 cal) are comparable.

Thanks.
    Which information? I base my terminal performance information on the manufacturer data for each load, i.e. 9mm 124gr +P HST vs. .40 S&W 180gr HST. In this example the 9mm load has a muzzle velocity of 1200 FPS and muzzle energy of 396 ft-lb, while the .40 S&W load has a muzzle velocity of 1010 FPS and muzzle energy of 408 ft-lb. As you can see, the energy delivered by the rounds are very similar. All this info is available here. There are also several wound workshops you can read that show the difference in performance between modern defensive rounds here.

Which information? I base my terminal performance information on the manufacturer data for each load, i.e. 9mm 124gr +P HST vs. .40 S&W 180gr HST. In this example the 9mm load has a muzzle velocity of 1200 FPS and muzzle energy of 396 ft-lb, while the .40 S&W load has a muzzle velocity of 1010 FPS and muzzle energy of 408 ft-lb. As you can see, the energy delivered by the rounds are very similar. All this info is available here. There are also several wound workshops you can read that show the difference in performance between modern defensive rounds here.
    Awesome, that is some really good information. It totally squashed the "Which one is better" debate.

Thanks for that. I will most likely buy a 9mm now.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastie 585 View Post
    Awesome, that is some really good information. It totally squashed the "Which one is better" debate.

Thanks for that. I will most likely buy a 9mm now.
    Buy whatever you want, honestly - there are so many good rounds out there for every major caliber that you really cannot go wrong. The biggest thing you have to do is pick the gun you will trust and carry every day. Bear in mind the weight difference between the rounds. The heavier 180gr bullet will likely have better penetration capability because the higher mass retains more energy as it travels through the body. The lighter 124gr bullet expends its energy sooner, so will have less penetration. However, even though the penetration is lower on the 9mm, it still meets the FBI requirements as shown in the wound workshops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links