Help me spend some money

Help me spend some money

This is a discussion on Help me spend some money within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good Afternoon all. I am writing on this forum to try to gather some help or insight with my next handgun purchase. For starters this ...

Thread: Help me spend some money

Help me spend some money

Good Afternoon all. I am writing on this forum to try to gather some help or insight with my next handgun purchase. For starters this will be my second handgun. I currently own an SA XD .40 Sub Compact.

I would like my next purchase to also be a carry gun but by no means does it need to be a Sub Compact or even a compact for that matter.

I am torn between the new breed of semi's and the 1911 style. Here is my short list. If anyone has any input please let me know. Also, fwiw I am looking for something that is fine out of the box but also can be customized as time goes. I don't want something I have to work on right away. For example on my XDSC I plan to do a trigger job and have night sights installed, but don't need to do it right away for it to serve its purpose.

The shortlist

Springfield XDM .40
    Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail
    Sig revolution GSR
    Sig P226 Elite
    Kimber Pro Carry
    Kimber Tactical Custom II
    Taurus 1911 SS

I would like to stay under $1200, well under as some of the options suggest.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Oh, and yes I have searched and read a lot... I am looking for fresh information and alternative views.
    SPRINGFIELD XDSC .40
    SPRINGFIELD XD(m) .40

The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack. Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared. (Borrowed - credit to the original author)

I can give a big thumbs-up to the Kimber Pro Carry II. I've had mine and carried it since 2002. I competed with it in IDPA this past year. It's a fine pistol. While it's occasionally finicky with lead semi-wadcutters, it's extremely reliable with FMJ and Rem Golden Sabres. This past year, I've also started carrying XD9 Service and Subcompacts. My choice is mostly with what I'm wearing. While I'm a 1911 fan from bulls-eye experience, I actually shoot the XD better in IDPA.
    Still Clingin'

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    For a 1911, $1200 will get you a Dan Wesson CBOB, a great holster and a bunch of ammo. The CBOB is a lot of 1911 for the money. I am regretting selling mine. If you can spend a little more, checkout Fusion Firearms:
    http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

I believe Bob Serva was one of the original Dan Wesson guys until CZ took over.
    Last edited by Wasabi; January 10th, 2009 at 04:46 PM.

VIP Member
    Decisions, decisions!! I have a Sig 1911, the RCS, great gun. If all were side by side and I had to decide I think the DW Bobtail would be my first choice, followed by the Sig 1911.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Those Dan Wesson 1911's are getting a lot of attention. I think they may be the next huge selling 1911. Seems like a good time to buy one!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I know it's a bit above your price limit, but I held, fondled, and drooled on one of these the other day. If I were in the market for a high-dollar 1911, this one would be at the top of my list.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

SIG Revolution GSR in my opinion. That alone will probably eat up most of your $1200 budget, but if I had the budget you did, that's what I would get. Then of course, if I had an extra $1200 burning a hole, a new set of tires for the truck comes first, and then maybe I'd have enough left for a PT1911. In any case, it's lucky I have a lot of 45acp ammo cause I wouldn't have much left over after all of that.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Wasabi;977878]For a 1911, $1200 will get you a Dan Wesson CBOB, a great holster and a bunch of ammo. The CBOB is a lot of 1911 for the money. I am regretting selling mine. If you can spend a little more, checkout Fusion Firearms:
    Fusion Firearms

Ditto on this
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    You might as well add in the S&W 1911. The rail model set me back $869 and I love it. Shoots well and never a malfunction. A Plus is that it is an American made gun.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    For a 1911, $1200 will get you a Dan Wesson CBOB, a great holster and a bunch of ammo. The CBOB is a lot of 1911 for the money. I am regretting selling mine. If you can spend a little more, checkout Fusion Firearms:
    Fusion Firearms

I believe Bob Serva was one of the original Dan Wesson guys until CZ took over.
    Wow.

I'm impressed with fusion firearms.

I have to get one.

I was thinking about a Kimber, but now I'm not so sure.

Maybe I'll have to get one of each.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    Wow.

I'm impressed with fusion firearms.

I have to get one.

I was thinking about a Kimber, but now I'm not so sure.

Maybe I'll have to get one of each.
    Yeah, I've been drooling over the Scout XL 10mm ($1400) or PRO-Series ELITE Custom 10mm ($1400) myself. Problem is that over the next two months, I'm staring at a new Seecamp .380 (already ordered 12/07), a Glock G29SF (gotta have it), a Saiga 12 (if I can find a good deal) and very possibly a CZ 75B. Needless to say, I'll be too broke to get a new Fusion 1911 (or replace my CBOB) any day soon.

Why can't I have them all???

Where is a couple of M&Ps for your list?

If you gotta spend it all on one gun, go for the Dan Wesson...I would anyway.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Links