I took my used SIG 239 to the range today

This is a discussion on I took my used SIG 239 to the range today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well after posting some questions about my used SIG 239 .40 I took it to the range today and got a chance to see how ...

Thread: I took my used SIG 239 to the range today

I took my used SIG 239 to the range today

Well after posting some questions about my used SIG 239 .40 I took it to the range today and got a chance to see how she fired. I should tell you guys that the only thing I have ever fired prior was the 2 Kimber's I own in .45 cal.

So with that in mind, I am not sure if I am liking my new purchase. The kick back on the gun is a bit extreme. Not sure if it was my ammo selection or what. I used the basic .40 cal. Winchester target ammo. There seemed to be quite the flash with every shot. Also, the gun does not have night sights. I found my grouping patterns were OK but not the best. I truly had a hard time with the sights that are on the gun. I know night sights are not going to make a difference at the range....but what do you guys recommend for sights? Do I have to send the gun to SIG to install the sights?

I like the gun for EDC but I think its going to take a couple of more trips to the range to get used to it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

ToZlo

T
    ---------------------------------

Kimber Pro CDP II
    Kimber Gold Match Stainless Steel
    Sig P-239 two-tone

2. Remove Ads

As a 239 owner myself, I have to tell you that it might be the caliber. I just got back from the range, went with a gun smith friend, and we shot my 239 9mm with Crimson Trace.

He liked it, but we were commenting that it would probably be pretty snappy in 40 caliber. I really like my 9mm version. I can keep the groups within 2" at 21 feet with the Crimson.

As far as the sights go, I also have the night sights. You can get them swapped out by a good gun smith. My buddy, who also lives in Michigan, can install and align new sights for you. If you're interested, just send me a Private Message. He is an FFL dealer, so you can send either just the slide or the whole gun.

Good luck.
    Sig Sauer P229 Elite imm Stainless - Click for pictures
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS II (SRT) 9mm with Crimson Trace Laser
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

I had a P239 in 9mm and it did not have too much kick to it. I am sure it is the .40 cal. The .40 is a high pressure caliber and it does tend to have snappy recoil. My G23 has a kick to it that my friend's G19 does not.

If you do not like the gun for this reason, you may send it to me and I will give it a good home.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    My duty gun is a P239 in .40. Yes, the recoil is "snappy" but very controllable provided you have a firm grip.

Nearly any reputable gunsmith can fit night sights to your P239.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

THANKS for the feedback and suggestions. I think I am just use to my Kimber's...since that is all I have ever shot. I also think that getting some sights that fit my style will make me like the gun more. I will say this that after the first 100 rounds I was getting the feel for it much better.

THANKS again

ToZlo
    ---------------------------------

Kimber Pro CDP II
    Kimber Gold Match Stainless Steel
    Sig P-239 two-tone

Similar experience

I remember the first time I shot a .40 caliber gun. It was a Glock 23 I got about 10 years ago. Prior to that I had shot all the other common calibers but not a .40. And I was accustomed to my Glock 19 in 9mm, which has the same controls and frame size as the G23.

On my first shot I thought to myself "wow, that's not a 9mm!" It was pretty energetic on recoil. But subsequently I have put a couple thousand rounds through the G23 and also have two other .40 guns, so I am used to it. It doesn't seem bad at all now. I think your .40 Sig P239 will become tamer as you shoot it more.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

The recoil of the 40S&W is totally different than other popular calibers in any pistol IMO. More so the compacts and sub-compacts for sure. In my experience and my Glocks, the night sights are taller and thicker than the factory sights that come on them. I shoot my Glocks better with the night sites as they are more pronounced, and I'm always looking for a good silhouette image of them rather than three dots in broad daylight.

I had owned a P239 .40S&W... this after shooting military 1911's most of my life... I did not have any issues with the kick since it's a fairly heavy little gun... the reason I sold mine was because I constantly had to readjust my grip because the grip was too small in my hand.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by tozlo View Post
    I found my grouping patterns were OK but not the best.
    First thing I would do would be to shoot your pistol from a good rest and find out if your groupings are your fault or the guns. If it's the gun, then it's going to be hard for you to do any better. If it's you, then training and practice will help you get used to the recoil and the gun and maximize your performance. After firing my 239 40 from a rest and seeing the results, I honestly believe it may be the most accurate centerfire handgun I own. Shooting freehand, I probably shoot my Kimber 45 more accurately, but not because the gun itself is more accurate.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I had opportunity to shoot the sig 239 and found the weight distribution very good. The recoil was very controllable and I enjoyed shooting this gun. I plan on picking a nice used one up when I get the chance.

Wanna sell yours to me???
    MsXD9

[B]"When seconds count police are minutes away"!

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    tozlo: First of all congrats on the purchase! The 239 in .40 cal. is a really fine and accurate gun, and I really like mine. I don't find the recoil particularly difficult to manage, but, I've been shooting many years.

This is what I always recommend. Get yourself some snap caps, make certain your gun is empty, and practice by dry firing. Dry firing developes muscle memory, and when you fire the real thing this helps. Another thing I've noticed is when I go to the range, if I start with a heavier recoiling gun such as a 357 snubbie, the recoil of the .40 seems relatively mild by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    I had owned a P239 .40S&W... this after shooting military 1911's most of my life... I did not have any issues with the kick since it's a fairly heavy little gun... the reason I sold mine was because I constantly had to readjust my grip because the grip was too small in my hand.
    I don't shoot 1911's, but I had the same problem with my 239. Lots of people seem to like the Hogue wrap around grips, but they are so sticky, that they I felt uncomfortable carrying the gun IWB. I kept worrying about where my shirt tail was.
    I ended up with a set of Nills grips. They have enough palm swell in them, that they filled out my hand better, and made it easier to hold on to the gun, but it's not enough to malke the gun any harder to conceal. I was about ready to sell mine too, before I changed the grips.
    Yo Macklin, great party, but no whiskey. We go home now.

Links