My XD has begun to jam...

This is a discussion on My XD has begun to jam... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is the first trouble I've had with the XD. Yesterday, after putting several hundred rounds through my .40 caliber, it began jamming after every ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My XD has begun to jam...

This is the first trouble I've had with the XD. Yesterday, after putting several hundred rounds through my .40 caliber, it began jamming after every round, and not in consistent fashion. Failure to feed and a couple stovepipes have me worried!

I thoroughly cleaned and lubricated it, and it stopped happening, but I'm concerned that this is a feature that will rear it's ugly head when I'm dumping lots of rounds. I don't know what caused it. The gun was clean when I started, incidentally, and I've used it in a similar manner for months with nary a hiccup.

Do I need to replace something?
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Maybe your ammo?
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

maybee you put too much oil around the feed ramp, or your magazine needs cleaning.
    Springfield XDm-40
    XDsc-40

Id like to fly...but my wings have been so denied!!!

Administrator
    huh.
    "Just blame Sixto"

"Several hundred rounds"...if you're worried about using that amount of ammo in a SD situation, you're in the wrong area of town :-)

If this is the 1st time it's happened, I'd chalk it up to a dirty gun. If it happens after 100 or so rounds, I'd look at the mags.
    We had a guy in IDPA yesterday who had some rounds he loaded up go nose dwon in the mag when he reloaded.. I don't remember if he was shooting a XD or a M&P though
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

When was the last time you changed your recoil spring?

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    ..................Yesterday, after putting several hundred rounds through my .40 caliber, it began jamming after every round, and not in consistent fashion. Failure to feed and a couple stovepipes have me worried!...............
    Since cleaning seems to have corrected the problem, I wouldn't be overly concerned. If you get into a situation where you need that many rounds to stop the threat, you better have several guns accessible and have someone next to you loading mags for you.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I haven't had a issue with my XD and I have ran 500 rounds through it at a time. I would just make sure your mags are clean as well as your gun..... if you keep having issues I would get it checked out or try new springs.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Clean the gun, clean the inside of the magazines and use some powdered graphite as lube when you reassemble the mags. Try a different magazine, try different ammo. I'd be willing to bet that your problems stem from a magazine.

clean, check ammo, clean magazines. Then start checking your extractor, change magazines. ALso see if you can cycle thru rounds and see if the guns extracts and load properly. good luck
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Yah, I would get rid of the gun and get glock. Just kidding! I agree with many in thinking it could be the ammo. Make sure your cleaning and lubing correctly.I know you a veteran but also to much lubrication can cause issues aswell. WIsh i could help more.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Thats what happens when you get a glock clone. I too am just kidding. I am with the others I feel it will be the mags. No one has put this one out there but what about your recoil spring. Sounds like you shoot a few rounds but you never know. I have a glock 17 from I think 1983 and I might be looking at getting a new spring for mine. Just couldn't help myself again. I really hope everything works out for you theres nothing worse than one of your favorite guns acting up
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

From different magazines? Or the same one? That will tell you something, also do not gum it up too much with lubricant, just a little should work fine especially in dirty areas, but while you are firing it you should be fine adding some on occasion. Also, you should consider the ammo issue already brought up... I've ran 1000 rounds at a time through mine and never had a problem. If you find out what it is, let us know, I'm curious now.

What is thee best way to clean mags? I've seen a bunch of articles on cleaning guns, but nohting yet on leaning mags. I've probably put several thousand rounds through my XD, using three differet mags and have never cleaned the mags.

Do you have to take them apart, or just flush them out with solvent?

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    What is thee best way to clean mags? I've seen a bunch of articles on cleaning guns, but nohting yet on leaning mags. I've probably put several thousand rounds through my XD, using three differet mags and have never cleaned the mags.

Do you have to take them apart, or just flush them out with solvent?
    Take off the floorplate and remove the spring and clean out any gunk that may have built up in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links