Need help with choosing a pistol

This is a discussion on Need help with choosing a pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; O.K., I have a CZ82 (9x18) that I have been using for CC for about 1.5 years. It shoots well, accurate and small to conceal. ...

Thread: Need help with choosing a pistol

Need help with choosing a pistol

O.K., I have a CZ82 (9x18) that I have been using for CC for about 1.5 years. It shoots well, accurate and small to conceal. I have been having problems finding SD ammo though, and am thinking of purchasing another pistol in a more common caliber due to the unforseen future.

I am still looking at a 9mm as I have a problem with recoil. I have never shot a 1911, but feel the recoil would be too much. 9mm can still be found at reasonable prices and there are numerous SD loads.

I would like to find a semi in 9mm that has a .22 conversion kit available so I could reduce range costs somewhat. It would have to be easily concealable and have a reasonable amount of choices for holsters. Mag capacity would also play into the mix as well.

There are several choices, but I would like real world info, not what the salesman/manufacture says, that's why I'm asking for your help. If you suggest a particular weapon, would you please tell me why you like it.

I don't mind paying a fair price for a tool that may save my life. I don't feel I need to pay $$$ for a custom job. If you feel that another caliber would fit my needs/limitations, please feel free to comment.

Any info/ideas would be appreciated, Thanks...Tumblerats

2. Remove Ads

go to a range that rents pistols and shoot them. feel the grip. does it fit your hand?

Hey Tumblerat (not even gonna ask bout that)

On this forum, saying "which gun is best..: is like asking a bunch of car guys which car is best!
    Go to the next gun show in your area and handle EVERYTHING. I have been using a Taurus PT145 and also have a Kahr CW9 Both have been reliable and accurate; and now have a compact 1911 in 45acp.
    After you have had a chance to find a few different guns that feel right and are in your price range and meet you specs, then as has already been suggested go rent some at a local range. Felt recoil much a factor of gun weight, bullet caliber and weight, type of load, etc. A lightweight 9mm could have as much felt recoil as a heavier gun with a bigger caliber, depending on many factors. IMHO

please look at the Glock 19 and the Bersa 9UC. Both very accurate and reliable. The Bersa has a lower price tag.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

VIP Member
    Take a look at and handle the CZ line as well, CZ75 Compact, CZ PRC and CZ75 P-01. All are reasonably priced and the CZ Kadet conversion kit will fit them. I find the ergonomics of the CZ's to be outstanding and accuracy is very good. Not sure about your size, I guess I'm pretty average I'd guess (65' about 195) and have no problems concealing my P-01 or Compact either one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumblerats View Post
    O.K., I have a CZ82 (9x18) that I have been using for CC for about 1.5 years. It shoots well, accurate and small to conceal. I have been having problems finding SD ammo though, and am thinking of purchasing another pistol in a more common caliber due to the unforseen future.

I am still looking at a 9mm as I have a problem with recoil. I have never shot a 1911, but feel the recoil would be too much. 9mm can still be found at reasonable prices and there are numerous SD loads.

I would like to find a semi in 9mm that has a .22 conversion kit available so I could reduce range costs somewhat. It would have to be easily concealable and have a reasonable amount of choices for holsters. Mag capacity would also play into the mix as well.

There are several choices, but I would like real world info, not what the salesman/manufacture says, that's why I'm asking for your help. If you suggest a particular weapon, would you please tell me why you like it.

I don't mind paying a fair price for a tool that may save my life. I don't feel I need to pay $$$ for a custom job. If you feel that another caliber would fit my needs/limitations, please feel free to comment.

Any info/ideas would be appreciated, Thanks...Tumblerats
    If a Glock works for you it will be one of the most reliable tools you ever purchase. They make .22LR conversion kits for the Glock 19 and Glock 17 (both 9mm models). They work by replacing the slide, barrel and magazine. The Glock IMO, for the money spent is a really great deal. Maybe the best deal out there. Under $500 and it's a lightweight, reliable, and easy to learn firearm. I carry a G19 and if it means anything I carry it before I carry my HKs which are hundreds of dollars more.

I'm not a salesman, but I do highly recommend you take a look at the Glock 19. 15 round mags, 4" barrel, light enough and small enough to carry daily.

note: The Glock is the only firearm that local Marine Patrol reports has not rusted for them in a salt water environment. If that means anything, corrosion resistance that is.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I gave my 9mm to my son-in-law because I found my PT 1911 had less recoil, more stopping power, and is more accurate, plus there is a ton of SD ammo choices for it, but the ammo is more expensive, unless you reload...it's true, you can actually conceal a full-sized 1911 quite easily:

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

I also have a sub- compact .45 (PT 145 Pro SS) that I carry concealed on a daily basis while at work, this pistol is very accurate, has a 10+1 capability and recoils about the same amount as my 9mm did:

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

As you can tell, I really like the .45
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Glock 19 in my opinion is one of the finest Glocks you could own; ergonomically one of the best!

Like said before...go rent and shoot as many different models as it takes until you are comfortable with your purchase. Yes, I have my opinion as to what is a quality firearm and what is just a cheap toy that looks cool. But, that is my opinion and I will keep it to myself (don't get me wrong I will defend my opinions but at the end of the day YOU gotta get what is best for YOU).

Dan
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Glock 19 and an Advantage Arms conversion kit...problem solved.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Glock 19 and AA 22lr conversion. I have that particular setup and i love it.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Can't go wrong with a Glock. As others have suggested, go with a Glock 19 and get a .22LR conversion for it.

Me, I personally prefer the Smith & Wesson M&P but there isn't a .22LR conversion for it as of yet. Maybe something will be unveiled at SHOT Show.

Links