Defensive Carry banner

Interested in "classic" guns...have a question(s). 1911 GURUS SOUND OFF!!

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  pistolwretch 
#1 ·
OK...so when funds allow, I want to buy a j-frame revolover, a big frame revolver in a big caliber (.41 Mag, 45 LC , etc.)

I also am wanting a 1911, preferrably 5" Govt model, unknown finish preference. I have had some limited exposure to them and could run one if need be. My question is what are the differences between a "70 series" and an "80 Series"? What are the pro and cons to these two different types.

Excuse my ignorance...I cut my teeth on new age combat autos, SIG GLOCK, Etc.)

#2 ·
Colt offers the Series 70 and 80. The 80 has a firing pin safety activated by the trigger. Kimber offers a Pre-Series II and Series II. Also a firing pin safety, but this time activated by the grip safety. There is a huge ongoing debate about which is better, and is really a personal decision. The "old school" guys think simpler is better, with less parts to fool with. I've never heard anyone say why the firing pin safety is so great, but I think buyers just accept them. I prefer the simpler style, and won't buy a Colt 80 or a Kimber Series II.

#3 ·
I believe that the Series 80 internal safety device is a sop to Colt's lawyers, since it really doesn't do anything useful.
Pulling a Series 80's trigger lifts a firing-pin block by means of a monkey-motion linkage, which allows the firing pin to move forward to strike a chambered cartridge's primer. The pistol's trigger pull is, of course, affected by this extra effort and wasted motion.
In all non-Series-80 pistols, the firing-pin spring is sufficient to do the job, all by itself. The pistol's firing pin is too short to contact a primer, unless it has been given impetus by a full-strength blow of the hammer. As long as its hammer is trapped by the gun's safety, the non-Series-80 pistol won't accidentally go off, even if, when dropped, it falls onto concrete, directly upon its hammer.

#7 ·
I've heard of exactly ONE case of a 1911 that did discharged when being dropped (muzzle first, not on the hammer) on concrete. It was from a post of a regular member here several months ago.

That said, the pistol was an RIA (not a fan here) and the firing pin spring if I recall turned out to be light and 3/4 of an inch shorter than a firing pin spring from another 1911.

All my 1911's are free of the firing pin safety. But I have heard of decent work being done on weapons with the safety also. I just prefer the original design as I feel it's plenty safe (properly manufactured and maintained).

Not a guru, just a faithful follower of JMB.

#4 ·
Semi off topic...
If you are looking into a 1911 and a large caliber wheel gun, look into a wheel gun in .45acp.
Its good to consolidate the ammo you will be buying and/or reloading.
I have a 1911 and a S&W M22 in .45 acp.

Jim

#5 ·
Springer's a little different.......

Springfield 1911's use a lightened firing pin and a heavier spring instead of a firing pin safety block.

So, they are the same as a series 70 Colt in that they have no firing pin block.

They do have the key lock on the Main Spring Housing that a lot of folks don't care for. That is an easy fix by just changing the Main Spring Housing for a standard one - if you so desire.

#6 ·
I have had and shot both types of systems. I prefer the series 70 but I have a series 80 Commander that had a wonderful trigger job done by a good smith. You'd never know it was an 80. They can be set up well by someone who knows the platform if it's an issue.

#8 ·
Series 80'FPS,

Regardless of what you may hear, you can get a good trigger pull on a Series 80 type pistol, many come from the factory with them. If you find a Series 80 you like but don't want the firing pin safety, they can be easily removed.

Factory trigger pulls on my Series 80s.
1984 - Govt. MK IV Tu-Tone- 4.75lbs.
1987 - Govt. MK IV Stainlees - 5.5lbs.
1988 - Govt. MK IV Ultimate Finish - 4.0lbs.
2000 - M1991A1 - 4.75lbs.

#9 ·
In Court, I don't think I would want to defend why I removed a safety. Especially to get a better trigger pull and feel. I am seriously considering a 1911 in full size for occasional carry and just bhecause I plain like them.

#16 ·
I carry a G23 98% of the time and my superb Sig p228 the other times. I love the look and feel of a 1911 5" As mentioned above I also like the BHP. I wouldnt mind one of those also. But I am realistic...I have my muscle memory trained for a "point and shoot" gun like my Glock. In SHTF, I dont want my brain and fingers/hands to STOP and think about which gun we are protecting me with. I just have an "itch' for one. I think we all know what that feels like.

#17 ·
Both of my 1911 carry guns are Series 80 Colts.
I feel the firing pin safety is of significant benefit.
In life, things happen. Unpredictable 'things'.
The Colt Series 80 firing pin safety can significantly reduce the consequences of an unintended incident. Bullets CAN NOT be recalled.
Of course I am a 1911 smith and am very familiar with 'tuning' the firing pin safety for absolutely positive results. I am also not troubled by re-assembly of this system.
The vast majority of the problems I have seen (with the Colt 80's) were a result of incompetent gunsmithing or incorrect re-assembly.
The best advice I can give on this subject would be to 'pencil test' after every re-assembly. Drop a pencil in the barrel. Dry fire. This will help to insure the gun will go 'BANG' when needed.
Second best advice is KNOW your pistolsmith or KNOW your limitations as a 'kitchen table' parts changer.
:smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.