Range Report on the 'Rock'

This is a discussion on Range Report on the 'Rock' within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally got to take my Rock Island Armory compact .45 to the range yesterday. First, I had always thought that the broad sides of barns ...

Thread: Range Report on the 'Rock'

Range Report on the 'Rock'

Finally got to take my Rock Island Armory compact .45 to the range yesterday.
    First, I had always thought that the broad sides of barns were pretty safe around me. I was never very accurate with my Taurus PT145, and always assumed I just needed lots of range time.
    My first couple of clips were 185gr JHP and here's the result from 10 yards:

Still not Annie Oakley, but way better!

The slide was tight with no wiggle or slack and all the moving parts worked together smoothly. I had disassembled and cleaned it before firing and there were no rough spots or blemishes in any of the metal parts. The SA trigger took some getting used to after my DAO Taurus, but after that it was a smooth pull. Don't know the spec but the published spec is 1.8 to 2.27Kgs.

I tried a variety of bullet types and weights and this gun took everything just fine with one exception. A friend gave me some of the Aquliia 117gr HP and my slide jammed on me a couple of times. Replaced the ammo and everything was fine.

After more than 100 rounds, one did not want to climb the feed ramp, but it was getting VERY dirty; a quick wipe with my finger solved the problem.

The gun was solid as a 'Rock', especially for under $400.00. It shoots where you aim it (even for me) and goes bang every time. What more could I want?

2. Remove Ads

congrats on having fun at the range with your new firearm..... I am going to be in Moline, IL in a couple weeks for a concert and plan on stopping buy the armory to take a look around.

in your post however you said, "My first couple of clips were 185gr JHP and here's the result from 10 yards" I was just wondering how did you fit clips into a 1911? personally I would think magazines would work better.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

everyone likes a little...

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    personally I would think magazines would work better.
    OK, OK, I see that I'm going to have to parse every word I say

In teh words of Steve Martin: Excuuuuuuuussssseee ME!

Nice looking gun.
    Don't worry, there are clip police on every gun board.
    They will get over it.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie B View Post
    Nice looking gun.
    Don't worry, there are clip police on every gun board.
    They will get over it.

Jamie
    I usually have good intentions when I play "Mag/Clip Cop".

I used to be in retail computer sales. One of the first clues to a customer who didn't quite know what they were talking about was the misuse of the nomenclature. I saw many, many, salesmen use that to sniff out "rubes" and get them to buy hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of equipment the customer simply did not need. I imagine disreputable auto mechanics do something similar.

We'd like to think that our friendly neighborhood weaponsmonger is a good, clean, honest fella, but jackals abound.

Consequently, I was a LOUSY salesperson. I'd end up over-educating the customer, to the point where they couldn't buy from me, as they had to go home and filter the information I blasted them with. Then, they'd invariably come back to the store and buy the stuff from a different salesperson. Oh well. I wasn't paid on commission, and the store still got the sale.

-JT

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Did someone say Clip? wow that was a close one.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Nice write up/range report. Glad you like your new pistol. I have my eye on the PT1911, but one never knows what sort of ideas might put one over the edge on choosing something different. I do figure the RIA's and the Taurus 1911 to be the best values out there on the 1911 models. Never actually thought about one in the compact size though. If I could shoot as good as you have done with a compact 1911, I'm sure it would be well worth having.

He's right about them being pretty accurate.

Links