Kahr CW-40 accuracy

Kahr CW-40 accuracy

This is a discussion on Kahr CW-40 accuracy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello to everyone in the forum, I am looking for your input I have a CCW Licence on the way,,shot a Springfield XD9 with exceptable ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kahr CW-40 accuracy

Hello to everyone in the forum, I am looking for your input

I have a CCW Licence on the way,,shot a Springfield XD9 with exceptable accuracy during the class , easily hitting a 8 by 11 paper with almost all rounds, that was a borrowed gun.

I now own a family gun which is a .357 Ruger service six with a 4" barrel, took it to the range and shot 38 specials and 357 out of it again with exceptable accuracy for CCW.

Well after doing much research I decided on a Kahr CW-40, for size and calliber.

I am not shooting it well at all, after shooting maybe 100 rounds and shooting at a larger target I could not believe how many times I missed the target, and the ones that hit went low and left. I tried to slow down and think it through and did manage to do a little better, but I am dissappointed for now.

I plan on going to the range soon and work on all the basics.
    Maybe I needed the CW-9

thanks for your input

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    At what distance are you shooting? You should be starting at around 10 feet and as you gain confidence and accuracy at this distance move out a bit further. But remember this is a CCW handgun. With a CCW handgun any distance out much further than 30 feet this is a waste of practice time and ammo IMO. The CW 40 is a close range self defense handgun not combat sidearms or target gun. I can think of almost no CCW scenario where you would engage a treat at distances past 20-30 feet and most shooting happen at 7-10 ft or less.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have a CW9 and am satisfied to hit a paperplate at 7 yds. I don't think it is any more accurate than a CW40. Just less expensive to practice with. I am not anymore accurate with my 2 1/2" Smith 686 or my 2 1/4" Ruger SP101, both in .357 Mag. For my CCW qualification I was able to use my 22LR Ruger Mark I. It is the most accurate pistol I have ever owned but I would not carry it for protection. All 50 rounds in the 10 ring. If I can hit an aggressor in the chest at 7 to 10 yds witha 9mm or .357 that is good enough. If I am farther away than 10 yds I'll try to run away. I had a 4" Service Six years ago and it was more accurate than the CW9 and my two short barreled .357s.

Life NRA member since 1974
    "I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day." 2Tim1:12
    Go Army
    SFC

Pirate,
    The closest pistol range I go to has a minumum 21 ft target distance. It is about 30 min away, however I can drive 45 minutes and shoot as close as 5 to 7 feet, thanks for that suggestion.

I had a CW40, I was fairly accurate with it. Always on target at 10yds. Give it another try, might just need to practice with it.

Its the trigger on the cw40, its really heavy. When my cw40 worked it was very accurate.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Administrator
    Well, I'll just tell it like it is... Kahrs are tough to shoot for the inexperianced, the 40 factor makes it even tougher. But, doont let that get you down, there is hope... dry fire and dry fire some more. You need to learn trigger control. Bad news is it isnt the gun, its you. The good news is, its easier to fix your shooting than it is the gun.

You made a rookie mistake is choosing your first CCW, but hang in there, the Kahr is a excellent platform, the learning curve is just a little steep.

Oh yeah, you already have the perfect platform to perfect the basics- That Ruger 6.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think the Kahr trigger just takes some getting used to. Like Sixto said, dry-firing is your friend.

Currently, out of the guns I own in a defensive caliber, I shoot the best with my PM9 - which I have to attribute totally to the trigger. I've let several people at the range, whom have never shot a Kahr, run a mag thru it and the results are usually sub-par - not because of lack of experience, as most were better shooters in general than I am, but I think it's because Kahr triggers are so different. If you take the time to get used to it, I'm sure you'll wind up shooting well with it.
    Last edited by artificialgrey; January 14th, 2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: typo'd
    Glock 19, 26 & 36 | Kahr K9 & PM9 | S&W M&P9c, 642 & 640 | Ruger LCP

Administrator
    I agree with grey, the Kahr trigger is a different animal. It takes some time to learn, and like I said before, the learning curve is steep.

Mix that with a small light weight gun in a powerful cartridge and.... you already saw the results.
    "Just blame Sixto"

So how do you learn the trigger?

Just straight back and smooth?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfixinman View Post
    So how do you learn the trigger?

Just straight back and smooth?
    Dry fire. Make sure the gun is empty. Pick a spot out on a wall in your home. Make sure the gun is empty. Then put a dime on the slide just behind the front sight on your empty gun. Line your sights up on your picked out spot and pray the gun is empty. Squeeze the trigger. Think about nothing other than a smooth mechanical like pull to the rear and concentrate on those sights. If your dime stays where you left it, do it 100 x in a row. Do this once a night for a few nights, then go to the range. You will see a huge improvement.

Once at the range, shoot no more than 50 shots, anything more and your wasting ammo and forcing bad habits. Once muscle memory is built, then have at it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    That trigger takse some time to break in and get used to . Practice and dry fire will help
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

I also was shooting low and left.

What I found, was that while I was pulling the trigger, I was also tightening my gripping fingers. The right hand naturally turns the gun (ever so slightly) to the left when tightening the gripping fingers. I associate that last second tightening with the anticipation of recoil. I now conciously tighten my grip to the max before I begin the trigger pull, thus only moving the index finger and not the others fingers. My shooting has improved.

I became aware of what I was doing while looking through the 2x scope on my hunting revolver. I would line up the crosshairs on the target, and without firing, I would tighten my grip. The gun would shift to the left until my grip reached maximum tightness. (Ever so slightly, but enough to be off target.)

Below is a link to a Handgun Target Analysis piechart:

Handgun Target Analysis

And another:

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/grp-analysis.pdf

I have several Kahrs and learned my lesson with the first. I had started my CC journey using a S&W M19 357, went on to 1911's then settled on Kahrs. When shooting the M19 I would place the first joint of the trigger finger on the trigger. Felt good and natural and I could hit where I aimed. On 1911s I used the pad of the trigger finger. Same result, but when I transistioned to the Kahr I reverted back to the revolver style and shot low and left. Did not realise what I was doing till my rangebuddy informed me. I went to using the 1911 type of finger press and now I will shoot the Kahrs to PoA, most times. Only thing is, I have to find another excuse for my misses.

WOW, i learned some things here, i have a cw9 and i am a lefty and im shooting low right. this is my first kahr and yes the trigger is a alot differnt from my mps and glocks . i thought it was the gun at first but i put in a bore laser and found the sites dead on so i know it was me. i love the kahr its by far the best ccw i have found to carry iwb all day long.SIXTO is right and i am using his dry fire drill,and it will help me out a whole bunch. thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links