LCP Failure to Fire

LCP Failure to Fire

This is a discussion on LCP Failure to Fire within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so i finally got to have a little trigger time one the new LCP. I was super excited because my buddy wanted us to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LCP Failure to Fire

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar

LCP Failure to Fire

Ok so i finally got to have a little trigger time one the new LCP. I was super excited because my buddy wanted us to shoot in his back yard. We set up some cans and i drew from out of my coat pocket. I get a sight picture and gently squeeze the trigger.......click! What the I give it a second to make sure it wasnt a weak primer and delayed....nothing. I tap and rack and assess the round. Perfect hard strike dead center. So i drop the mag, unload and load the round back up.....Bang!
    This happend 3 times in 20rds. Seeing as i am a Glock guy and i am used to the gun going bang every time i was very upset. Actually almost launched the dang thing in the woods, but I kept restraint.
    Ok so the obvious question is if any of you fellow LCP owners have one that has an aversion to any ammo? Is it common for a LCP to not like UMC ammo? Do you think it could have just been a bad box? Should i send it back to Ruger because it is a CCW gun and i dont have the money to drop hundreds of SD ammo to see if it works.
    Thanks for any and all help. And before you say anything I know i should have stayed with Glock
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

VIP Member
    Is your LCP on the Ruger recall list? The recall is not a FTF issue, it is a drop/safety issue? However if you need to send it back to them you can add a note about this FTF issue and I think they'll check it out for you.

Secondly, I have a LCP also that I pocket carry (holstered) daily. This is a new design, I have no idea how finicky this gun is regarding pocket lint and lubrication. My LCP got grungy after a while and I decided to clean it, but first I wanted to fire it to challenge it's design vs grunge. I tried it and got a FTF.......YIKES!!! I cleaned it, lubed it and it ran perfect.

Initially I'd say that the LCP is not like an AK or Glock and fire under every condition. Keep it clean and I think it will be very reliable.

BTW, I'm not suggestion your gun was dirty, I'm only relating my experience to give other LCP owners a heads-up.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I appreciate you help. The gun was shot in the same condition it came from Ruger. I hadent carried it yet and it was still very lubbed. I will go home and clean it today and see if thast makes a difference. I am just very dissapointed right now because i want guns that function flawlessly. I know that is a tall order but still, i paid god money for it and it better work.

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Administrator
    Well, you did pay good money for a good quality gun, but you didnt with the ammo. If you have a good hard center strike, the gun did its job. The ammo didnt.

UMC is factory seconds or thirds. Its the cheap stuff for a reason. The only thing you can do is get some slightly better or just different ammo and go again. You can try the UMC again too, just make sure its a different lot number.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Cool

You pretty much answered your own question. If the firing pin was striking the primer on the cartridge with enough force to put a good dent in it, the pistol was doing all you can expect it to do. More than likely it was the UMC ammunition. Most people I know won't use it just because of the problem you mentioned. The FTF rate on that ammo is a lot higher than with other brands. We have an LCP that has never had a FTF with many other brands of economy practice ammo we have used. It doesn't seem picky about FMJ's or JHP's either, it pretty much will use whatever we feed it. Try some other brands of ammo before you blame the LCP though, I think you'll discover it was the UMC stuff.
    Fear is a reaction.......
    Courage is a decision.

FOR GOD, FOR COUNTRY AND FOR BLUE MAX

Blue Max 24, U.S. Army, RVN 1972

Some ammo require a harder strike than others, and like others have said UMC is some of the cheapest stuff on the market.

But it could also be your pistol.

I recall back in the 70’s my dad buying a French 9mm pistol, and it would not fire. It would leave a dent in the middle of the round but no bang.

He took it back to the gun store he purchased it from, and it needed to have the firing pin adjusted. Check it with some other manufactures ammo. If you still have the problem, it’s the gun.

I like you trust my Glock’s, but because of concealability I find myself carrying a Kel-Tec P3AT 380 more than Glock.

I have used UMC 380 ammo and have found it to be as reliable as anything else, more reliable than most. I would suspect the gun.

I had the same exact problem with UMC ammo - about 5% failure rate on a box of 50. This occurred on a post-recall LCP. The troublesome rounds always fire on the 2nd primer hit, but I'm never going to purchase that type of ammo again. Haven't had that issue with any other ammo in my LCP.
    Glock 19, 26 & 36 | Kahr K9 & PM9 | S&W M&P9c, 642 & 640 | Ruger LCP

I too have had this issue with UMC ammo, not with a LCP but the ammo is definately suspect here. Get some better ammo and retry. As far as cheap ammo goes, I would check WalMart for some Winchester. I have purchased ad shot around 3,000 rounds of their 9mm with only 3 FTF due to bad primer (2 of the 3 fired on second try.)
    Pray for our nations leaders!

I would say it's more likely to be the cheep ammo, but check your primers for 'light strikes'. I have not had any FTF's with mine but that doesn't mean you can't. Also the lube the gun was shipped with may be gummed up or too heavy so a good cleaning and a new application of lube may be needed. From what I've seen they shipped these puppies out heavily lubed and if you have been carrying it, it may have collected enough lint and junk to have a FTF. Good luck and let us know.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I haven't had any problems with my LCP. I've mainly used reloads and Federal (from walmart). So far, no FTF....and I've dropped it with no untoward effect either (before it was sent back for the recall).

The only thing I think could be better are the sights. The black sites are hard to see on a black target.

Administrator
    You should always judge you handgun performance with the ammo that you intend to carry for self defense & I hope that you'll not be carrying it stoked with UMC.
    I would best guess that you have an ammo problem rather than a pistol problem if you are getting good hard, well centered primer strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by gg12 View Post
    I haven't had any problems with my LCP. I've mainly used reloads and Federal (from walmart). So far, no FTF....and I've dropped it with no untoward effect either (before it was sent back for the recall).

The only thing I think could be better are the sights. The black sites are hard to see on a black target.
    ..........gg, I had the same problem. Here is what I did that worked. You must have a steady hand to do this. Take a paper clip and open it up so that you have a tip to use. Take some good qualty oil base paint, dip the the tip of the PC in the paint, and put a dot of paint on the front site and 2 on the rear site. Try this first on a practice surface first, before you do your LCP. It just takes a touch of paint for each dot. Mine looks factory done. Let me know how it comes out for you ?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by charmincarmens View Post
    ..........gg, I had the same problem. Here is what I did that worked. You must have a steady hand to do this. Take a paper clip and open it up so that you have a tip to use. Take some good qualty oil base paint, dip the the tip of the PC in the paint, and put a dot of paint on the front site and 2 on the rear site. Try this first on a practice surface first, before you do your LCP. It just takes a touch of paint for each dot. Mine looks factory done. Let me know how it comes out for you ?
    Nail polish works great too. Just find a girl to go get bright orange nail polish at the drug store, the cashier might give you some looks if you go buy it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks guys. I was suspect of the ammo and had the same experiance as my having (firing on second strike). Well i can reast well now. Thanks

COPS Protective Services

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links