Kimber Raptor II opinion please

This is a discussion on Kimber Raptor II opinion please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Fellow Shooters, I have been thinking about adding a 1911 to my small collection. One of my LGSs has a Kimber Raptor II that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Raptor II opinion please

Kimber Raptor II opinion please

Hi Fellow Shooters,
    I have been thinking about adding a 1911 to my small collection. One of my LGSs has a Kimber Raptor II that I may be able to get a good deal on. I had previously thought about a Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded as my entry into this world but the Raptor looks pretty cool (albeit more expensive). For those of you who have had Kimber 1911s, what is your opinion? Pass on the deal and look for a less expensive one? Go for it? Thanks.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

2. Remove Ads

I'm interested to know this as well my father is looking at buying one.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I would opt for the Spinger. Very nice 1911. I've personally seen too many Kimbers malfunction to ever own one. JMO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    I would opt for the Spinger. Very nice 1911. I've personally seen too many Kimbers malfunction to ever own one. JMO
    Thanks for feedback. What kind of malfunctions have you seen, Sportsterguy?
    Certified Glock Armorer

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    drs,

I've seen FTE and FTF's multiple times with 5 different "broken in " full size Kimbers while shooting our monthly IPSC matches. One gent sent his back to Kimber 5 times and still had problems. He ended up seing it cheap and was disgusted with Kimbers customer service. Yes magazines were changed out and ran to see if they were the problem. All of these were with ball ammo, so I think the problems would increase with JHP's. They are beautiful weapons, but I'll take reliability over nice lines any day of the week. JMO and observations.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I have 2 kimbers, a tack pro and a stainless steel . Have about 4,000 roumds through each no priblems. The main thing with a kimber is keep them clean and lubed.IMO a very dependable gun. Will buy another if the price is right.Have had mine about 4 years now.
    I bow to one king, and serve only one kingdom
    JESUS CHRIST

I to have had a kimber for over 4 yrs now-not 1 problem- like it was said keep it cleaned and lubed like any gun and it will work. The problems I have had were all mag problems(1 mag). IMO go for it!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I have a Kimber Custom II and love it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Between the Raptor and the Springfield there is no comparison. Jump on the deal. Take the Raptor.

As far as 'malfunctions' with a Kimber, well, there are malfunctions with any 1911 that is not tuned properly or maintained.

There are a lot more happy Kimber owners than unhappy. It just turns out the unhappy guys are louder than the happy ones.

The myth that Kimbers are somehow destined to be jam-o-matics is propagated over the internet and for the most part, by people who have never owned them. The friend of a friend who had a cousin who had a problem has became famous.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I've got a Desert Warrior, it's been really good. Kimber has taken a lot of popularity hits on various websites lately, and at least some of that was earned. Their MIM parts had some QC problems and failures. And their external extractor proved problematic.

They've been replacing external extractor slides with internal from what I've heard. And hopefully they've gotten a grip on the MIM process (not inherently bad when done right).

If the gun is a good deal, and has an internal extractor, I'd consider it. They're a nice looking gun.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Every single Kimber I have owned has given me problems and the Kimber factory people are not what I would call co-operative.

Buy the Springer or a Colt. Or better yet, save your bucks for a really nice custom from Baer or Wilson. Another good choice would be a Nighthawk.

I have a Kimber Gold Match S.S and a Pro Carry....they have both been great guns to shoot with no problems. YES you do need to make certain they are cleaned and maintained.

Good luck on your decision

ToZlo
    ---------------------------------

Kimber Pro CDP II
    Kimber Gold Match Stainless Steel
    Sig P-239 two-tone

I have a Kimber Custom II and Tactical Ultra II both have not given me any problems with ball or hollow point ammo. I also have a Springfield Stainless Loaded and it has been great also. The only thing I do not like about the loaded is the FLGR but that can be replaced. When I buy another 1911 it will be a Kimber.
    Vic
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II
    Kimber Custom II
    Glock 23, Sig Sauer P225, Kel-Tec PF-9
    Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. SUN TZU THE ART OF WAR

I've got a Pro Carry which had big problems (failure to feed and extract) early on. I called the factory and they told me to change the recoil spring and break it in for 500 rounds. I did that and the problem still existed.

I called again and they had me send it to them. They couldn't have been nicer. The polished the ramp, changed the extractor and had it back to me in a week with three new mags and a handful of recoil springs. I haven't had a problem since.

Jeez, what a mix of opinions. Sounds like many folks who own Kimbers have no problems, other do. I appreciate all the input, guys. The "deal" is 22% off retail which I am suspecting is typical discount for this gun. I need to keep thinking about this. Might change my mind when I go see the gun again...
    Certified Glock Armorer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links