XD M or XD?? Need help ASAP!

This is a discussion on XD M or XD?? Need help ASAP! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I sold a couple guns and have some cash burning a hole in my pocket. Today is the last day that you can get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member

So I sold a couple guns and have some cash burning a hole in my pocket. Today is the last day that you can get two free mags from Springfield if you buy an XD. I did a quick search and may have missed it, but, opinions please on XD vs XD M?

I can get a pretty darn good deal on an XD from CDNN. But, I shot my buddy's XD M yesterday and it was pretty sweet. However, it is two hundred bucks more, tit for tat. Is it worth it? Thanks!! Tom
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

JD
    Administrator
    It depends, I really like the XDM, but I never liked the original XD, that extra .5" made a big difference in the feel of the gun for me and the trigger is a little bit better on the "M"

They don't shoot much differently (or so I've been told) if your comparing guns of the same caliber.

I'm still not crazy about the sights on the XDM, I think I'm eventually going to replace them with something else later on down the road.

Is it any more accurate than the regular XD? Probably not, at least not that the average shooter is going to notice while shooting.

I didn't like the "feel" of the normal XD, but the XDM does "feel" like a different gun all together. I think it comes from that little bit longer slide and barrel and the minor redesign of the grip.

Sure the Multi use case is nice, as is all the XD Crap...er...I mean XD Gear but that's all kind of fluff in my opinion.

Either way I think you'd be happy.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I sold my original 4" XD-40 to buy a 9mm XDm. I find it just as easy to carry, even better to shoot, and it has a sight radius nearly an inch longer for only 1/2" of extra slide length. For me, there was no discussion - only a need to get the M.

I've had and XD (though it was the SC) and now have the XDM and much prefer the XDM as a range/target/HD pistol. I know that there are folks who like the XDM for CC, but for my tastes it's just too big a gun for that but it is an excellent shooter. I've not shot or handled a full size XD so whether the extra cash is worth it is something you'll have to decide from handling both. I don't think there will be much difference in accuracy or reliability though I do think the XDM trigger is a bit better so it really comes down to fit and feel.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    IMAO what JD shared makes great sense. Have you shot them both? I would suggest shooting them both and then picking the one that feels the best. If the XD feels good and shoots well then the $200 is better served in gear and whatnot. If the XDM feels significantly better then pend the moolah to get a firearm that you fire well.

I carry an XD because I LOVE the feel of the XD in my hand and I shoot it well. Your experience may be different, so I would shoot them both before you decide if you can.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Depends.

If you plan to CC it, and you have difficulty concealing a large handgun, then the favor tilts toward the XD. If you must have a small gun, XD wins.

If it's just a range gun, the XDM may not be worth the extra money. That depends on your purpose for visiting the range.

Otherwise, IMO the XDM wins for several small reasons... unless they're both in 40, then IMO the XDM wins bigger due to capacity.

Whichever one you buy, I recommend you immediately purchase all the high-cap mags you're going to want or need for the next several years.

JD
    Administrator
    Unless you're talking about the XD SC, the size should make no difference.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ison-pics.html

As aznav previously had a Sig 229, I think he won't have an issue with the XDM

Forgot to say that you may not have a need to rush your decision as it appears that the program ended on the 15th. XD Gear

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Forgot to say that you may not have a need to rush your decision as it appears that the program ended on the 15th. XD Gear

Hoss

While I've never heard anything but good reports from people I know who own XDs, I've never been tempted because of esthetics. The stepped slide just looks funny in a clumsy sort of way to me.

On the other hand, the XDm looks a lot better to me. I'm not aware of any major functional differences in them. I'm in no hurry to get an XDm, but I wouldn't rule one out either.

I have an XD45C and love it.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    I own the XD and really want the XD-m Badly
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

VIP Member
    I picked up an XDm just so I could have one "hi-cap" gun in my collection since I'm kinda hooked on 1911s.

I never planned to carry this gun at all until I took it out for some shooting. This is a pretty darn nice weapon!

As a result, I just ordered a UBG Canute for it... heck no it isn't too big for CCW, I've concealed larger and heavier handguns.

I'd say, go for the "M" Factor!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have fired the XDM in .40 and the XD (full and SC) in .45 and .40. Honestly I liked the XD the best. In fact the one I found most comfortable was the XDSC. The trigger seems a little spongier on the XDM and I'm not a fan of the modernistic look.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Having fired both for a few magazines the XD(M) feels better, but the XD seemed to shoot better for me. Maybe it's because I'm very used to my Glocks which are more around the size of the XD.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links