Skyy owners a few questions

This is a discussion on Skyy owners a few questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm still looking at subs and the Skyy is on the list. But, it states in the owners manual not to use +p ammo and ...

I'm still looking at subs and the Skyy is on the list.
    But, it states in the owners manual not to use +p ammo and Kel-tec says theirs will handle it on a limited basis. I generally carry +p 9mm and practice with wwb from wally world. From your range reports it sounds like the Skyy is a decent gun. Looks to have a better fit and finish than the kt.
    Sorry to ramble guys but trying to get as much info as possible before I plunk down the $$$
    Thanks Sixgun.

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun
    I'm still looking at subs and the Skyy is on the list.
    But, it states in the owners manual not to use +p ammo and Kel-tec says theirs will handle it on a limited basis. I generally carry +p 9mm and practice with wwb from wally world. From your range reports it sounds like the Skyy is a decent gun. Looks to have a better fit and finish than the kt.
    Sorry to ramble guys but trying to get as much info as possible before I plunk down the $$$
    Thanks Sixgun.
    I personally doubt if a few rounds of +P will hurt the SKYY or any other modern gun. 100 rounds of standard ammo will stress a gun much more than a half-dozen rounds of slightly higher +P. Besides, in a self-defense situation I wouldn't concern myself about using +P rounds and I won't tell if you don't. I would fire just enough to make sure there are no feeding or ejection problems, then save the "good stuff" for the bad guys. Not recommending +P has more to do with wear and tear on the slide and frame than anything and it saves the company from extra warranty work. The SKYY has a stainless steel slide and it's my understanding the metal inserts in the polymer frame the slide rides on are steel vs. aluminum (don't quote me however). If the SKYY is as well made as it appears and - that's pointed out in several forums by certain un-named persons who have an affiliation with SKYY - the CPX is as good as, and probably better built, than the P-11 which can use +P. I wouldn't loose any sleep over keeping +P ammo in it for carry use, especially if you use standard pressure rounds for practice. Of course, it's your decision to make, so take it for what it's worth.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

What's +p?

I think that Skyy is a 95% K-T knock-off. I've put the two guns together to compare them. The ONLY difference is the grip (finger ridges) and the safety on the Skyy. Everything else appears identical.

Assistant Administrator
    What's +p?
    A slightly higher pressure round - giving a degree of velocity increase and so energy too.

9mm is already a high pressure round so use of +P should ideally be kept for guns designed for such.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I don't really see a need for +P anyway. most bullets should expand and penetrate well enough with standard velocity. I though I read about a few problems with the Skyy frames cracking. But Keltec has had some problems too.
    How much is your life worth? If you can save up and buy a better quality gun. HK,Sig, Glock, ect. Proven reliability and performance.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

We'll see what happens with the gun. I've also read of frame cracks and I've read of guys with thousands of rounds with no cracks.

Who knows? I don't even know where on the frame the cracks are supposed to be appearing.

I had problems with mine from the first shot fired, but it was the disassembly pin retaining clip, which skyy replaced and it's worked for 200 rounds jam free.

Before it was FTE and FTC (fail to chamber). But the disassembly pin was loose and being new to guns I didn't know that the loose pin was the cause; I thought it was a result of the jamming and just kept pushing it back in only to have it work loose the next round.

Turns out the clip retaining the pin was bad. It's fixed and now seems to work well.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully no cracks in the future.

What problems does KT have? The guns are identical except for the grip and the safety. So whatever metalurgy issues one has, the other will likely have. Do KTs crack?

go with the kel-tec. i got the p11 and it is a great gun for the price ($200.00). do the f&b on the gun and shoot away. get the belt clip and it is a good summer carry gun. if you have any problems with the gun kel-tec will mail you the parts free or you can mail them the gun so they can fix it. kel-tec stands behind their guns. i know this because i got one of the second gen p3at and it took several weeks of work and parts mailed to me to get the gun to shoot 100%. the p3at is a great pocket gun when i am out on the motorcycle.

Links