Defensive Carry banner

Colt Detective Special and its Brethren

3K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  falcon1 
#1 ·
Seeking some information here.

Don't get me wrong I was all too happy to give my mother my Colt Agent because it suited her when nothing else would, but I'm left with that gap now.

I really liked it better than my 642 and I shot it more than I realized and carried it a lot. The sight picture was a lot better, the gun just felt better, and although I'm not a capacity addict, I have to admit six shots in a wheelgun just feels better than five. It also doesn't make any sense to me to make a 5 shot cylinder when Colt managed to fit 6 shots into the same amount of space without sacrificing anything as far as I could tell.

I'm curious what anyone can tell me about the Colt Detective Special, Colt Agent, etc.

What I am looking for is not an expensive collector's piece. I'm looking for a serious gun for actual use that I might even trade the 642 for. This is a bit of a needle in a haystack search, which is fine with me I suppose I do like looking for those needles. And I did find the first one... and it had that creepy history (long story short, we think it belonged to my grandfather at one point).

Basically I'm looking for variants, runs, and whatever that should still be around in the used market, but ones that collectors won't be scooping up or selling off at outrageous prices.

The only reason I mention it is I'm giving myself a vacation from certain responsibilities this weekend and I'm going to a gun show. I've been wondering if a little gun like that wouldn't be just the ticket for my aunt too.

It makes me angry at Colt they won't make new ones. They could cost $500 street and I'd still be interested because I think it's the best design for a light .38 snubnose I've ever seen or experienced.

See less See more
#3 ·
I may do that Class3. No offense to you at all, but I will check my local source first and if that comes up dry, you may get that PM. I am glad I don't live near Kittery. My God I'd be spoiled rotten.

It's just less hassle and saves a transfer and shipping and a 30-45 minute drive through heavy traffic to an FFL to find it locally!

Then again I've done it before.

I know next to nothing about the Diamondback in all honesty.

#4 ·
Euclidean said:
I may do that Class3. No offense to you at all, but I will check my local source first and if that comes up dry, you may get that PM. I am glad I don't live near Kittery. My God I'd be spoiled rotten.

It's just less hassle and saves a transfer and shipping and a 30-45 minute drive through heavy traffic to an FFL to find it locally!

Then again I've done it before.

I know next to nothing about the Diamondback in all honesty.
Colt Diamondback looks like a Python.........cept they were made in 22LR and 38 Spl
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976677411.htm

#5 ·
personaly i will say find another agent , or a diamondback ( if you like adj sights ) or bite the bullet and get the new " chiefs special " either a kahr or a rorba... ahh hell ask p95 on that one , i cant afford it so i wont learn how to speel it properly , lol , all bs aside i cannot see you being happy with a lessor compromise , and the other option is a small , full house , autopistol , so keep lookin , or buy into the auto version(s) of the same thing

#6 ·
Nah, I want a revolver for a BUG. I don't really like small auto pistols. I like some of them from a design or aesthetic perspective, but their tiny controls, tiny magazines, tiny catridges just fumble around in my fingers. I don't even really like the XD subcompacts without the grip extensions, and that's actually a pretty big gun.

I don't really need it, I have a 642 that works, I'm just considering upgrading from that.

I'm also afraid of them biting the web of my hand, if that makes any sense.

Maybe it's just because I haven't found a small auto that fits me well. I might stumble across that holy grail one day, but haven't found it yet.

Also, as Chris/p95 pointed out in one thread, in tight quarters a small auto might not cycle. I carry the little revolver in cargo pockets and jacket pockets and the like.

#11 ·
i personaly respect the new tauri ( wouldnt that be plearl of tarus ?? ) they have improved greatly over the last 10 years ago i kinda consider them as being what ruger was 10 or 20 years ago , respected by some , hated by others , but quality control kinda in hand , and making a strong show now . anyway euc like i stated above if you insist on a sweet 6 shot revolver , well shop for that colt, if not play the field , myself i went to auto ( i could write a book about that choice lol ) but get what you want , and enjoy it , btw i just sold a tarus 905 9mm 5 shot snubby that was nice , its something to think about if ya happen to run across one on your quest lol

#19 ·
I own a nickle Det Spcl, 3rd Gen. Bought it from one of our POs back in the late 1970s. Every time he saw me carrying it, he'd ask me if it was the one he sold me and if I'd sell it back to him. My answer was yes and no . . . plus he wouldn't really want to know how much he'd have to pay me for it! :smile: [I remember paying him $85 for it.]

It is now a safe queen, although my Wife may get to use it if one of the various grips I have for it fit her comfort level. The pachmyrs on it make the grip too big for her.

They are NOT a lightweight gun, being all steel. I just weighed mine and it is 25.4 oz empty. Very nice gun, I still like it but I no longer carry/shoot wheel guns.

#20 ·
Little late to the post but heres my 2 cents:

Colt Dick Spl's for serious carry go with the late 2nd gen or 3rd gen, go to Waller Bags and get the Hammer Shroud and have it installed. change grips on it to suit, and go qual..

THe Agent, Banker Spl, are good ones but I have found over time don't stand the useage

#23 ·
If you could find an SF-VI, they might not be considered so collectible?

I have certainly liked mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.