KIMBER vs STI

KIMBER vs STI

This is a discussion on KIMBER vs STI within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm caught between two choices here. I'm looking at purchasing 1911 style weapon for carry. I do not want the compact version and sticking with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: KIMBER vs STI

KIMBER vs STI

I'm caught between two choices here. I'm looking at purchasing 1911 style weapon for carry. I do not want the compact version and sticking with at least a 4" barrel. I've decided between a STI Ranger II or a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II HD. They are both comparable in cost, and made in the USA(is Kimber?). I haven't any experience with either brand. My concern is reliability, and customer service. I'm going to post on both manufacturer pages and hopefully come up with enough feedback to make a decision.

For carry or the range, STI. No Kimber can compare to anything STI makes, IMO. Regards 18DAI.

Kimber is made in yonkers N.Y. Inmagine that. I have a Pro carry 2 and love it . It is my daily carry gun....
    I bow to one king, and serve only one kingdom
    JESUS CHRIST

VIP Member
    I don't own a STI Ranger,but I do have a have a STI Trojan & I also have a Kimber Pro Carry II HD.

The STI is a little better made & I have had to do very little to the STI to make it a great gun. (just added an ambi-safety & magwell) The trigger pull is a LOT better than the Kimber.

The Kimber, I had to do a bunch of things to it: In addition to Magwell, ambi-safety....I added forward slide serrations, built up the beaver-tail to add a sped bump, night sights, grips & replaced the MIM internals. Don't get me wrong it's a great gun, but I had add & tweek it to be one.....I also own other Kimbers as well.

Of these two, the Kimber gets carried more often. (My usual carry is a full-size 1911 with Novak style rear sight.)
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Having owned both, I would choose STI hands down every time. Kimbers are great pistols, but I do not believe that they can compare in quality and reliability to the STI. I've spoken with the people over at STI several times, and they are always great. I cannot say the same for Kimber. The choice is yours, but for my money, it's hard to beat an STI, unless you start considering Les Baer, or something similar.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Tough call. But I think STI may have the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by helitech View Post
    Tough call. But I think STI may have the edge.
    They do ;)

STI is my preferred brand...no secondary (unnecessary) firing pin safety to worry about being mistimed and causing light primer hits.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    STI here as well. I prefer the look, the manufacturing, and the quality overall of STI over Kimber. Kimber, to me, has become more of a mall ninja, gucci go-faster 1911 maker than a practical, realio-dealio manufacturer as of late.

While Kimber has made some nice guns, there aren't any (off the top of my head) that I'd say I really want, that's not to say that I wouldn't buy one if I stumbled across one at the right price.

As for STI, I can say I Want a number of them.....the Rogue, the Guardian, the Off Duty, the Vip, even the GP6 interests me.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    For one reason or another everyone has their own opinions on lots of things. My opinion of Kimber is not kind to say the least. I will give them credit for looks, but that is all. I have owned a few and every single one had to be sent back to Kimber for stuff that should have kept the gun from being shipped in the first place. Their QC is in the pits,customer service does not exist, and the reliability factor approaches rock bottom--at least on the ones I have had the misfortune to acquire.

Again, I realize this is an old thread (I just revived another Kimber/STI thread a few minutes ago). Why is STI so hard to find in El Paso, TX!!! It's a Texas company fer cryin' out loud!
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Kimber trumps STI in my experience. A lot of tough talk on the forums about Kimber (mostly from people who DON'T own them) but they are exceptional and the accuracy is amazing. My Pro Carry 2 has been PERFECT since I unboxed it, not ONE failure. And can you argue with this accuracy from a 4" barrel? That's 35 rounds off hand at 7 yards.
    Attached Images
    multistage likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by IsaiahM33 View Post
    Again, I realize this is an old thread (I just revived another Kimber/STI thread a few minutes ago). Why is STI so hard to find in El Paso, TX!!! It's a Texas company fer cryin' out loud!
    Not that it helps EL Paso, but there where about 5 STIs at the Austin Cabela's last weekend. I'd assume they are still there

MJK
    STI's are machined, Kimbers utilize MIM parts including the extractor. I would go for the STI every time.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links