Decisions, decisions, decisions…

This is a discussion on Decisions, decisions, decisions… within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I’ve been saving money for a while… also been narrowing it down to what I thought was going to be a SIG P229 (9mm) Two-Tone… ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decisions, decisions, decisions…

Decisions, decisions, decisions…

I’ve been saving money for a while… also been narrowing it down to what I thought was going to be a SIG P229 (9mm) Two-Tone… then I started thinking of what other options could I buy besides the P229… now I’m considering the Springfield XDm (9mm) BiTone… the local gun shop has a lot of gun in their gun range to rent, but neither one of these two.

I’d like to hear some pros and cons about each… I know the XDm is a fairly new model, but it’s based on the XD which has a good rep; and of course the P229 has a good long track record… what do you think?
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

2. Remove Ads

Two wonderful choices. I would have a hard time deciding between the two. If you forced me, I would choose the Sig.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    If you can afford the Sig, and it sounds like you can, I'd go with that. A lot of people that balk at Sigs do it because of the price. But then again, I'm a Sig lover.

If you can't test fire these guns, at the very least handle them both. These guns have very different "feels". So whichever one feels better to you, get that one. You know that the Sig is extremely accurate and the XD is accurate also, as long as you can do your part. So after that, it just comes down to what "feels" good for you.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Administrator
    I'd choose the SIG given a choice betwixt those two.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I own a 229, so I'm a little bit (ok, very) biased, but anyway, I'd pick the Sig. I don't like polymer frames, and Sig makes some of the most reliable pistols out there. The XD isn't a bad gun by any means, but I think it's outclassed by the Sig.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Go for feel...both good choices. Which has the better agronomics for your hand?
    Pray for our nations leaders!

XDM's are awsome!!! Plus with the extra $$ you can buy lots of ammo.

CDH
    I love my XD's (XD9SC and XD45/4"), and they are some of the best that offer the most bang for the buck (pun intended).

As far as the "M" XD, you might want to save some money and stay with the original XD's.
    Of the supposed "tweaks" you get for paying more out of pocket, the only one that offers any real advantage is the interchangeable backstraps. All the other stuff does not in any way improve upon the original purpose of the pistol, that being a very dependable self defense sidearm.

And as for the backstrap... you should handle the XD first because you may very well find that the original grip fits you perfectly and won't need any backstrap change-out. The pistol was designed ergonomically to fit the "average" hand, so if you are one of the 85% average handed people, then you don't need to spend the money on the M.

I think the XD has a better feel.

I like how SIGs shoot, but they always feel a bit bulky to me. Great weapons otherwise. I have fired the XDm but I think I prefer the normal XD to it.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I have owned and carried both (not the XDM though, just the XD). Both are wonderful platforms. You won't go wrong with either. Both will serve you well and long. All things considered, the biggest differences between the two are price, weight, trigger and feel, that last one being subjective.

The Sig is more expensive and heavier but has a better feel in the hand (to me).

The XD is less epensive, lighter, and has a much more 'aggressive' feel, ie: sharper edges so less comfortable in feel (again, to me).

Both are accurate, will fire anything you feed it, will last, hold value pretty well, can take a beating, look good (although the Sig has more classic beauty, especially the non-railed versions while the XD's are more utilitarian looking), breakdown and clean easily, and have lot's of options.

The triggers are very different. XD triggers are a pretty long pull and a little 'spongy' feeling but not as bad as a Glock. There are a couple aftermarket places that do great trigger jobs like Canyon Creek. The Sigs are either the DA/SA type or the DAK (basically a double action only). A lot of people don't like the DA/SA. I love it. Nice long revolover type pull on the first shot, light and crisp single action every shot after. Sig's DAK is very light and very smooth but every pull is long.

The Sig has a hammer drop (unless it's a DAK model) the XD has a grip safety like on an 1911 and a trigger safety or 'safe action' as they call it. The little lever on the trigger tends to be sharp and can be a pain when shooting larger calibers but most people just sand the edge off a little.

If you like the Sigs and don't like the newer railed ones (I hate rails on Sigs) look for an older model one. They can be found for good used prices. My personal favorites are the older West German made P226 guns. Talk about a great gun for a great price.

But as I said, you can't go wrong with either one.

Thanks for the advise... I'm still a little up in the air... I'm going to have to put both in my hand to start.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I stumbled on to a new in box p228 which is essentially the same as the p229. It is an excellent shooter. The SIGs have a reputation for a reason. I still love my g23, but had I found the SIG first, I prob would be EDC the SIG. PLUS...As good as the XDm probably is...the P228 has many more holster options and things right now.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Sig vote

I've had a Sig P229 for 8 years and it has operated perfectly through about 3000 rounds. It is also one of my most accurate guns. So I'd have to vote for the Sig P229 over the Springfield.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Also the XD has ways of letting you know if it's cocked (silver thing on the back of the slide area) and a chamber indicator; little piece lets you know if a round is chambered just by looking @ the gun. So you know that the gun is HOT just by a glance. Plus the extra safty features (grip/trigger), cheaper price...leaves room for after market goodies or extra ammo. Can't really beat the Price, Safty, reliability, and quality components. I own a XD tactical .45 LOVE IT.

Father-in-law has a few Sigs and have shot both....I like them too, but still think XD is better deal...plus it's made in Springfield Mass. American represent.

I don't believe Sig have such features (such as American made), but are nice pistols.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links