New 357SIG - Steyr M357 / Range Report Added

This is a discussion on New 357SIG - Steyr M357 / Range Report Added within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You know the old saying, "It's better to be lucky than good"? Well, Saturday it was true for me. I like 357SIG firearms, but because ...

Thread: New 357SIG - Steyr M357 / Range Report Added

VIP Member

New 357SIG - Steyr M357 / Range Report Added

You know the old saying, "It's better to be lucky than good"? Well, Saturday it was true for me. I like 357SIG firearms, but because of a really good deal I had traded my SIG P239 in 357 so I didn't have one. I did some research and decided I wanted and FN P357. I asked my buddy, Jeff (a dealer), to get me one. None of his distributors had any, so Jeff put it on order.

Saturday I went to a gun show and asked Jeff if the FN or a rifle he has on order for me had come in. He said no, but that he had a Steyr M357 I might be interested in. He said it was used, but looked almost brand new and was priced pretty good. I looked at it and it did look almost new. I put a finger in the chamber and pulled out a little residue and figured the gun had been shot only a few times since one of the mags was still sealed in the plastic. I decided right away that I wanted it. I can't reveal the exact price I paid for the gun, but it was less than $289.

Now for the best part . The gun is new. I got home and took it apart only to discover the thick oil on the barrel and other internals. The chamber showed what had looked like residue at a quick glance, but on closer examination was oil and dust. The outer surface of the barrel shows the kind of wear you get from pulling the slide back a few times. The magazines were actually both still sealed in plastic. The one plastic bag that appeared to be opened was not.

How do you think I did? Before you answer here are a few photos.

Here are the two mags. You can see on right end of the top one what appears to be a tear, but when you get close you find that the tear is above the seal and the bag is still sealed. Even if it were not sealed the mag would not come out of the bag through the hole that would have been created. The lower has a similar kind of pull on the left end which is even smaller.

I won't be able to shoot it for a few days yet, but I am chomping at the bit to get out on the range.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sounds like you got a really good deal. In the 3rd picture, what is that on the slide serrations? It almost looks like rust, but I'm going to guess it is stain scraped off the wooden surface you took the pictures on.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I've been meaning to get a Steyr for a while now. Post your range report and let us know how it works out. Nice price BTW.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Sounds like you got a really good deal. In the 3rd picture, what is that on the slide serrations? It almost looks like rust, but I'm going to guess it is stain scraped off the wooden surface you took the pictures on.
    That is a reflection of the wood surface as far as I can tell. It only shows up in the photos. I checked as soon as I saw it and there is nothing on the gun. There is a light layer of oil in there and no rust, stain, or anything else.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

nice lets us know how it shoots.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I hope you love it as much as I love my M357 - and I gotta say, that's a great price for that gun!

Cheers!

Jim D.

Ballistics by the inch: "Four guys, two chronographs, and 8,500 rounds of ammo."

Like Science Fiction? Read *or listen to* my novel, Communion of Dreams, for free.

Lucky,glad you found a deal that not only fit your budget but is pretty much what you were looking for
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Yesterday when I went out to shoot the CZ 75BD and adjust the Crimson Trace laser I also fired the Steyr for the first time. It performed perfectly and was a real blast to shoot. I really like it. The trigger is almost single action light, the sights are fantastic, and the gun is accurate. My only previous experience with 357SIG was my Sig P239 which was heavier than the Steyr. There is a little more recoil than with the Sig, but not much. I like the Sig P239, but the Steyr is my favorite of the two. A little comparison is in order.

Sig P239 357SIG
    30 oz.
    10 lb. DA trigger pull / 4.4 lb. SA trigger pull
    7 + 1 capacity

Steyr M357
    28 oz.
    5.5 lb. trigger pull
    10 + 1 capacity (12 round mags available)

Ergonomically the Steyr feels better in my hand and comes back on target easier. The Steyr triangle/trapazoid sights just work for me. I can see them and regardless of whether I am able to focus on the front sight the alignment is easy.

I thoroughly enjoyed shooting the Steyr and am anxious to get back out to shoot some more. It had been nearly a year since I had shot a 357SIG and I had almost forgotten the unique sound the round makes. I had forgotten the concussion that you feel if you are standing to the right of someone firing a 357SIG. My buddy asked about firing it and I was standing maybe 8 feet to his right when he fired the first round. The concussion made itself felt since I wasn't prepared for it.

The only thing negative I have to say about the Steyr is that it ejects the brass straight back frequently. I had on a baseball cap and had a number of casing bounce of the bill. My friend got the casing from his first round about an inch above his right eye. This is evidently a trait that is common in the Steyr M357, but fortunately it disappears as the gun breaks in.

Fun to shoot, accurate, reliable, ergonomic and priced right - what's not to like. I'm ready to go back to the range. I know that Leah, my wife, will love to shoot it too.
    George

Links