New Sig229 W/ Rails *PIC*

This is a discussion on New Sig229 W/ Rails *PIC* within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The P229's are really nice guns....accurate, reliable, easy to control in recoil, and bearing a nice trigger pull. My agency issued carry gun is a ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Sig229 W/ Rails *PIC*

VIP Member
    The P229's are really nice guns....accurate, reliable, easy to control in recoil, and bearing a nice trigger pull. My agency issued carry gun is a TDA P229's in .40 S&W without the rail....to me, the only negative with the P229 is its fully loaded weight. It's a bit heavy.

By comparison, I love my 2040 sigpro in 357 SIG due to having all of the aforementioned P229 characteristics plus being lighter in weight thanks to its polymer frame.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    New rule: After registering with the forum you must get yourself a Sig....Even that beat up one I swiped up has a peculiar aura of dignity.
    LOL!!! Hey, me and P95 have been tryin' to tell you guys about Sigs!

On another note, I like the rails. I can do anything with the rails I can do with a gun without them. But, I have both a 229 with and one without rails, my slight preference is for the the non-rail 229. It's by no means a big deal to me, but the 229 is a compact and I prefer (only by the tiniest margin) it without rails.

But then I've got both versions of a 229 and 226s so I really don't need a 229 with a rail, but if a 229 was going to be my only gun, then I'd want the 229R.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    New rule: After registering with the forum you must get yourself a Sig.
    This will never happen as we (the 1911 clan) are to great in numbers now :143: and while you Sig folks are tring to think of a way for board domination, we 1911 fans are slowly but surly beating the Sig out of ya.

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - listen to the Simian megalomania Tangle -

We will conquer thru stealth
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I think we got'em on the run!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    This will never happen as we (the 1911 clan) are to great in numbers now :143: and while you Sig folks are tring to think of a way for board domination, we 1911 fans are slowly but surly beating the Sig out of ya.
    The only 1911's I like are the Para Ordnance's. In the real world, having 7 shots is a downfall. Many of the para's hold 12 or more.

Also, the "Ya only need one shot" doctrine is for people who have never been in a real tactical situation IMO.

Bad guys shooting back dont stand 30 yards in front of you while not moving like a target at the range.

Senior Moderator
    Oh boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229
    The only 1911's I like are the Para Ordnance's. In the real world, having 7 shots is a downfall. Many of the para's hold 12 or more.

Also, the "Ya only need one shot" doctrine is for people who have never been in a real tactical situation IMO.

Bad guys shooting back dont stand 30 yards in front of you while not moving like a target at the range.

So you only perfer double stack 1911's? I'm sorry you feel that way.
    12 shots is nice, but feels like a 2x4 in the hand.

As far as the one shot comment, thats why it holds either 8 or 9 (depending what mags you use). Try telling a WWI, WWII, Korean, or Vietnam Vet that the 1911 is a POS and Sigs are the "hot set-up". More lives have been saved and taken with a 1911 than your SIG.

Most people on here practice for real world situations, like shooting on the move, shooting from cover, shooting moving objects.

I could go on, but i'll save it for your next reply

Seems us 1911 guys and you SIG guys will always but heads. Like the whole .45 vs 9mm thing

Senior Moderator
    Could it possibly be, that 1911 guys are just the tiniest bit biased, not to mention a little narcissistic?

Us SIg guys are nothing like that and besides, my Sig can take your 1911 any day of the week.

Just kiddin' Bruce - just kiddin'

Hell, Im not saying my sig, glock, or H&K is better than your 1911.
    What I am saying that 8-9 shots at the range is fine.
    I prefer to prepare for anything. And when it comes down to my life, I will be much better off in any scenario with mags that hold almost double what a regular 1911 has and almost the same firepower (.40 cal).

BTW: I NEVER said a 1911 was a "POS" as you put it.

Practice and training is key, your right. But as I said, real world is much different from even the best of tactical class.

You think if its night, hard rain and your hearts pounding so loud you hear it in your ears that your going to only need 8-9 shots with one or more aggressors? What if they have cover and you dont?
    What if they have something a little more accurate than a 4" barrel?

Dont get me wrong I am a fan of the 1911 and I respect them deeply.
    But from my experience and MY choice is to have more mag capacity.
    Ask yourself this. If all you "really" needed was a 1911 and 8 shots. Why are most of the PD and FED's going to more mag capacities? I would think the FBI, DEA and other alphabet soup types have the best training and knowledge to make this choice.

Just like politics, cars and wemon, What may be wrong for you, may be right for me. And what's right for me may be wrong for you.
    Nothing personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229
    If all you "really" needed was a 1911 and 8 shots. Why are most of the PD and FED's going to more mag capacities? I would think the FBI, DEA and other alphabet soup types have the best training and knowledge to make this choice.
    Because it is easier to teach someone "Spray and Pray" then to be accurate with what ya got.
    Granted most all Police agencies issue either Glocks or Sigs, if you take a look at the "Speciality teams" they carry 1911's

I realize we differ on opinions, I just wanted to ruffle your feathers so to speak. I like to harrase the non 1911'ers.

Senior Moderator
    Sig229,
    I need to come clean here; I feel the same way you do. Bruce, myself, and some others have discussed this before. I strongly prefer more to bigger.

I too am a 1911 fan, and not that they won't work, I just prefer more bullets. Some talk about I must be planning to miss a lot, well yeah, I am, I'm also planning to hit - a lot.

I've been maybe a bit too outspoken against revolvers as a viable SD gun, because, for one thing, their low round count coupled with a slow, cumbersome reload.

I carry a Sig 226R right now with a Mecgar 17 round mag and a spare Sig 15 round mag. You pretty much expressed why I feel a SD gun needs to have a higher round count.

But, others feel comfortable with 5 - 9 rounds and figure that's all they'll need.

I had a super competent instructor in my most advanced handgun class that said, "He would not feel underarmed with a revolver." What did he carry? A Glock! Now he carries a 1911 and wouldn't hesitate to pick one over the other. Although I must admit when he showed us a high-fire-power technique, he said can you imagine this with two Glock 17s?

Another thing I have to wonder about is he also said when he carried a revolver, he always carried a back-up revolver, not because he may run out of bullets, but because if his main revolver came in contact with sand, it may lock up.

It just kinda makes you go, Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Could it possibly be, that 1911 guys are just the tiniest bit biased, not to mention a little narcissistic?

Us SIg guys are nothing like that and besides, my Sig can take your 1911 any day of the week.

Just kiddin' Bruce - just kiddin'
    Granted we may be a little full of our selves, but its like when you show up to a reunion, do you wanna be driving a Corvette (1911) or a Ford Pinto (all other brands)

You choose the 1911 when only the best will do. YMMV

OK guys back on track here, don't wanna get in trouble for thread diversion.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    Because it is easier to teach someone "Spray and Pray" then to be accurate with what ya got.
    Granted most all Police agencies issue either Glocks or Sigs, if you take a look at the "Speciality teams" they carry 1911's

I realize we differ on opinions, I just wanted to ruffle your feathers so to speak. I like to harrase the non 1911'ers.
    Bruce,
    In all fairness, you can't say that more bullets leads to spray and pray any more that I can claim fewer bullets lead to less shooting and more praying.

If capacity really effects accuracy, we could all just load three rounds in our carry guns and improve our accuracy. A person with an 8 shot gun simply can't miss as many times as a 15 shot gun, but they both may be "spraying".

This went south in a hurry, Sorry bout that Sig229, I am glad you have a gun that your happy with and fell confident with. I was just tring to razz ya a little, and it got a loiitle out of control.

I am all for everyone choosing different wepons and the truth be known I got a chance to shoot a Sig Pro a while back and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Rock on with your SIG self

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links