Another CCW for my Wife

Another CCW for my Wife

This is a discussion on Another CCW for my Wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A while ago, I asked the opinions of this esteemed forum membership on the Sig 232 (.380). Thank you all for your input. I finally ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another CCW for my Wife

A while ago, I asked the opinions of this esteemed forum membership on the Sig 232 (.380). Thank you all for your input. I finally found what I was seeking and presented it to my spouse who has since a) learned to shoot very accurately; b) took and passed the Texas CHL class and c) decided that she wants more firepower. My dilema is that she is 5'1" and 98 pounds so grip size, trigger pull and trigger weight as well as slide pull (I'm assuming an auto - sorry wheelgunners) and recoil are very important to the decision.

My questions are for the smaller women in the group: What do you carry? Does anyone carry a PPS in either 9mm or .40?

My wife loves her 232. She can shoot my 1911 but isn't comfortable with the .45's recoil. She cannot comfortably grip anything with a double stack magazine (even the Ruger SR9 is too big). She's been reading about stopping ability and understands that shot placement is everything but also understands that in a gunfight, one is probably half as good as his/her best range day, even a practical pistol range day, so big deep holes are better than small ones.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

She needs to get out to a store and handle these different handguns. Learn which ones she can rack back ect... Look at fit and yes while I would agree that a big hole is better than a small one she needs to be able to get the hole there in the first place. Carrying with one in the pipe will help a great deal with taking care of the racking issue. If she does not want to carry "loaded" then perhaps a class concerning knife throwing would be a better way to go
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Gee, Thanks, Nosights. I'll enroll her in the Dr. Destructo Circus Knifethrowing course posthaste. :)
    Seriously, that's what we've been doing. There is an indoor range closeby but they don't have a PPS for her to rent/try. I wanted to get a lady's opinion on a user-friendly 9mm or .40 pistol.

VIP Member
    While I'm not a lady or anywhere near your wifes size, you might want to have her take a look at the Sig 239. Single stack available in either 9mm or 40 cal.

Products & Services

If she is not comfortable with the recoil of a 45 she probably won't like a 40 cal either, they tend to be quite snappy, especially in a smaller frame gun.
    Last edited by archer51; January 19th, 2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: added thought

CCW Recommendations for Petite Folks

My wife is 5'2" and average weight. She, too has small hands and does not like double stacks. She is also averse to .45 cal recoil. She has a Bersa .380 but it's really only good for BU IMO. Here are a couple of 9mm that she can shoot comfortably:

- Walther PPS. Great gun but limited capacity. Has the least recoil of any pistol (9mm or larger) that I've shot. Expect to pay $ 620-700.

- Kimber Aegis. Compact 9mm M1911. Great gun but a bit pricey. My first 1911. Recoil is a bit less than a similar sized .45 Kimber but IMO not enough to justify my not going to a .45 compact.
    Expect to pay $ 900.00 plus. You might also look into the Para Ordinance or Springfield compact 1911's. Both makers make them in 9mm. Again, expect to pay at least $ 900.

- HK P7 series. May be the best bet. P7M8 has about the same dimensions as the other two pistols even though it has a longer barrel. It's all steel so it's the heaviest of the three but very manageable. Recoil is not much more than the Walther. It's also a very safe gun. While the P7M8's are a bit hard to find at a reasonable price, you can get P7s (very slight differences, mainly that the mag release is at the heal of the grip vice under the trigger guard). My wife shoots this almost as well as she does her Bersa.
    Expect to pay $ 600 for a good P7 and at least $ 900 for a good P7M8.

Good luck!

My wife really likes the feel of a M&P9c and the Kahr PM9. Fit her hands nicely and she shoots them well.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Thanks, Archer. I appreciate the input.

Thanks, Nosights. Two more to try. I think we can shoot the Karh at the local range. Is the trigger pull very long?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by spurs06 View Post
    She cannot comfortably grip anything with a double stack magazine (even the Ruger SR9 is too big). She's been reading about stopping ability and understands that shot placement is everything but also understands that in a gunfight, one is probably half as good as his/her best range day, even a practical pistol range day, so big deep holes are better than small ones.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
    Has she been able to try a SIG 239, probably in 9MM? It's a single stack and most guys think the grip is a little small. I've got one and it's a "tack driver".
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Thanks H'Knee. She hated my P7. :(
    My 1911 is a Kimber Raptor Pro so I can't begrudge her the big bucks. I keep leaning towards the Walther for her because of the DA/SA and the inherient safety with one in the pipe.

My wife loves her Charter Pink Lady 38 Special. It is a wheelgun but it is made for ladys. She is 5 ft 105#

I have the PPS9, M&P9c, and WD9sc. To me all are pretty much interchangeable. The XD is the heaviest and therefore the steadiest, but not my favorite to carry, and the grip is not adjustable. Both the PPS and the M&P have adjustable grips for a better fit. For holster carry I'd use the PPS, in a bag, the M&P.
    If I could only have 1 of the 3, I'd keep the M&P. Enough weight to absorb recoil, 10-12 round rounds, adjustable grip.

VIP Member
    My wife has both the PPS in 9mm, and the S&W compact 9mm. She favors the Smith as the grip is just a bit more comfortable, even though it is larger for her hands. If I could get a heavier trigger pull in the PPS, I'd swipe it! :)

At the SHOT Show we saw the new pistol coming from Taurus, SLIM 9mm. Fit my wife's hand very nicely, she could easily work the slide and all controls. She liked it best over the Glocks, Kahrs, XD's, Sigs and any other pistol she handled. It comes out in March. It will become her carry pistol.

Wow. Thanks, everyone. I think we have enough to consider. I appreciate everyone's input. Once she decides and buys, I'll post an update to this thread with pictures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links