Get your priorities in order!

This is a discussion on Get your priorities in order! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two questions for ya: For most people, choosing a handgun is about adding to the collection. They already have a favored carry gun they're relatively ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get your priorities in order!

Exclamation Get your priorities in order!

Two questions for ya:

For most people, choosing a handgun is about adding to the collection. They already have a favored carry gun they're relatively happy with. That said, how should they evaluate their next purchase? From highest to lowest priority, list the factors that go into the decision to purchase your next handgun.

a. Caliber
    b. How it feels in your hands (ergonomics, grip size, ...)
    c. Price
    d. Concealability (length, height)
    e. Weight
    f. [I know I'm
    g. ...missing a few things
    h. ...so please feel free
    i. ...to fill things in on your own]
    --> Give the order of importance to you

Now consider yourself in my situation:

I don't have my own handgun yet. Should I bump price up the list a few notches (I'd typically consider it last or 2nd to last if I didn't "need" a first one)? How should I restructure my priorities from "want" to "need"?

I both want to see what you guys think is important in choosing a handgun under these circumstances, and want a little help deciding whether to cut costs to arm myself sooner or to wait for something that's at the top of my list that I know will last and endure for a higher price.

2. Remove Ads

You need to first and formost look at quality. The sweetness of low price is never outweighed by the bitterness of poor quality.

My order-
    1- Quality (Manufacturer, Reliability, Warranty...)
    2- Comfort
    a. Comfort to hold/egronomics
    b. Comfort to carry (physical size)
    3- Caliber (go as big as you can control/handle- I would go 9mm or .45 in an auto or .38 special +P in a wheelgun (assuming JFrame...do they make another?)
    4- Cost
    5- Looks. Let's face it, you gotta like the gun and looks is part of it!

You need to get out and handle as many different guns as you can and see what is the best "fit" for you.

My personal preference is either a Glock or a Smith and Wesson (M&P). Both TOP NOTCH quality and reliability. Sig is a great gun but if it is your only one I would shy away due to parts availibility/warranty.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I've been thinking about guns to add to my collection, and unfortunately, I can't think of much.

I don't really collect guns. For me, they need to be used. I refuse to own a safe queen, a "range gun", etc. I'm not going to spend that kind of money on something that does nothing. I only need 1 semiautomatic rifle and enough parts to keep it running forever. I only need 1 shotgun, and one bolt action rifle. Each has their own purpose. I do think I need 2 carry guns though. One would just be a backup in case the other goes down for maintenance or is confiscated after a defensive situation. I'd want the 2nd to be the exact same gun in the exact same caliber.

My girlfriend said she was going to buy me a Kimber Procarry II HD as soon as I get back from deployment as a Christmas present. I ended up deciding I don't want it...I'd rather just have another Sig P229 DAK like the one I carry. At least for me, I don't have a reason to have 2 different handguns other than I like them both. I do think that you can have one gun that is perfect for what you intend to use it for. The 229 meets that requirement for me. I shoot it well, and it will go bang EVERY time. It conceals well, feels good in the hand, and I don't have a reason to have anything else. 2 handguns, 1 semi rifle, 1 bolt rifle, and 1 shotgun will fulfill any shooting purpose I ever come across IMO.

But that's just me...

As for your first handgun:
    1. Quality/reliability...I have to know it will not malfunction on me, and it is going to work when I need it. Murphy is alive and kickin', and I don't want to see him around.
    2. Accuracy...Caliber does nothing if you don't hit. I want something that shoots straight and is known for it.
    3. Ergonomics...You need to be able to manipulate the controls without changing your grip, have them in a comfortable position, and have everything fit your hand and line up. Makes shooting a whole lot easier.
    4. Caliber...I'm not a 9mm fan. Some people are...some aren't. I like the .40S&W. I also believe a gun should be designed around the caliber it's shooting, rather than having it chambered in a caliber it wasn't designed for. I wouldn't choose a .40S&W 1911...it was designed for the .45ACP.
    5. Concealability...I don't want to change my wardrobe to carry. A good holster will let you conceal even larger handguns. I don't like subcompacts a whole lot, and I think a fullsize is a little too big and heavy to be comfortable all day long. Compact it is for me.
    6. Looks...not really that important, but it's nice to have something that looks good and you can be proud of.
    7. Cost...This could be what saves my life. You spend money insuring your house, your car, your belongings...what's more important than your life? If I found what I want and I like it, I'll pay whatever it costs as long as I can afford it. I like 1911's also, but the only ones I'd trust my life to cost upwards of $4-5k...That's more than I can afford on a single gun.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Try first

Do like I did for my wife. Go to a good gun dealer one with a range, handle the guns, pistols and revolvers. try the holster you will be using. when you fine both that feel good ask to borrow one of his used guns and buy a box of shells. If he is the type of dealer you want to deal with he will be more than happy to laon you the gun and use of his range.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I've been thinking about guns to add to my collection, and unfortunately, I can't think of much.

... I do think I need 2 carry guns though. One would just be a backup in case the other goes down for maintenance or is confiscated after a defensive situation. I'd want the 2nd to be the exact same gun in the exact same caliber.

...But that's just me...
    I would agree with the exception of why I own a .22LR and a 9mm. COST to shoot. With my Mark III (Ruger .22LR) the basics of handgun shooting is the same as any other gun (Grip, Stance, Trigger Control, Breath control...). The .22 is a great tool to learn the basics for a minimum price (and it won't take many rounds to pay for itself). My 9mm is my main practice gun. I shoot 200+ rounds a week and shooting my carry gun (a .45) would cost considerably more. My 9 doubles as my wifes range gun as well, she finds the .45 to be a bit intimidating/uncomfortable.

That being said, my 9 and my .45s are both M&Ps so the feel is nearly 100% identical. I truly can barely tell which one is in my hands until I squeze off a round. Practice make perfect...

I am buying a .22 bolt action to reduce cost of shooting...but that has it's own purpose too...plinking :D I've been looking at a Savage Mark II. I've thought about a 9mm for pistol plinking, but I think I'd rather get a .22 conversion for my Sig.
    -Ryan

Yep, I agree with the above posts.

1. Quality (I like the GLOCK).
    2. Safety features (I choose the GLOCK becuase it only has a trigger safety)
    3. Ergonomics (I choose the G-23 becuase it is bigger than the sub-compact, so "feels" better in my hand, but smaller than the full size so easier to conceal).
    4. Stopping power (Again, I went with the G-23 because it is a .40, and is used by lots of LEO's for it's known stopping power).
    5. Looks (I like the auspicious black color of the GLOCK).
    6. Price (Not too pricey, but not too cheap)
    7. Repair/maintenance/upkeep (You can treat/mistreat the GLOCK in just about any and every way - and it will always go "bang" when you need it to).

My two cents.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Yeah, but...

I feel like nobody has addressed an important factor. When I get my license and have the right to arm myself however I want (i.e. concealed), I want to be armed!

If we look at Mas's 10 commandments of concealed carry (Massad Ayoob's Ten Commandments of CC), we'd see that I'd be violating the first commandment by not carrying. I feel that it's very important to take all possible steps in order to protect myself and others whenever possible.

So, with this point being stressed, should I cut cost for a cheaper revolver to arm myself for now? Would you consider it?

Quote Originally Posted by FreeDelivery View Post
    should I cut cost for a cheaper revolver to arm myself for now? Would you consider it?
    I would not cut costs on my first and only firearm. If necessary, I would charge it on a credit card. I'm not advocating anyone do that. That's just what I would do.

Not at the cost of quality. If you pull your weapon and it does not go bang....you have done yourself a great injustice! I think you would be better buying some running shoes and getting out of Dodge in the event of trouble. Check out used if that is a concern. Plenty of VERY little used guns out there!

I would not cut costs to get something cheaper. Only the rich can afford to buy cheap. Hold off and maybe save a little extra here and there...eat out less, etc. and get what you know is perfect for you. You've gone as long as you have unarmed, and while I can't exactly say "what's a few more days/weeks", I can say you'll be happier if you wait to get what you want.
    -Ryan

If need be go used but go good

BJC
    Well, you asked so here is my opinion.

1) Reliability and quality - no compromise here, especially if it is your only gun. Quality and reliability are not always directly related to price (higher price does not always equal a higher quality/more dependable firearm)

2) Fit to my hand (grip thickness, grip length, grip angle, ease of manual of operations, etc...)

3) Purpose of gun (range, target, concealed, BUG)

4) Caliber - limits are determined by purpose

5) Cost

6) Looks and perks - I'll take a reliable ugly lead slinger over the safe's beauty queen that has a hard time getting through a full mag for defense. For a range gun, you'll have to decide how much time you want to clear the gun as opposed to shooting the gun.

For me, the subcompact XD 40 fit the bill for my first gun. It still love to shoot it and carry it every day.

Here's how you buy a gun.

1) decide how much you want to spend
    2) Decide what caliber
    3) decide what you like based on feel
    4) decide which you like best when shooting(means go with someone and try different guns and/or rent some)
    5) buy a Glock and be done (this is a joke, but if a Glock works for you you can't go wrong)
    6) evaluate the value of the weapon (price vs performance vs feel vs quality and warranty)
    7) get out wallet
    8) buy ammo, lots of it.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    reliability
    value
    cost

I only buy good guns at a good price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links