CCW Opinions for Someone with Weak Hands

This is a discussion on CCW Opinions for Someone with Weak Hands within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm looking for a CCW and find that I'm at a disadvantage because of Rheumatoid Arthritis which makes my hands weaker than the average ...

So I'm looking for a CCW and find that I'm at a disadvantage because of Rheumatoid Arthritis which makes my hands weaker than the average woman. I'm not overly pleased with the handling of the revolvers I've shot, could be user error, but I have found the overall shooting experience to be more pleasant with the Semi Autos. That being said racking the chamber can be next to impossible. I have a .22 with the tilt barrel loading, which I love, but it's not reasonable as a defense carry weapon. Upon doing research on other tilt barrel weapons, most are in a smaller caliber it seems, but I see Beretta has come out with the Px4 Sub Compact. Does anyone have experience with these who can tell me overall handling? Amount of recoil, length and weight of trigger pull? Or do you have any other suggestions for something I may try?

I would take another look at a revolver. There is little to be done about racking the slide on an auto. I would however keep in mind that you should be carrying with a round in the chamber.

Not to pick on you or question your readiness but EVERYONE who carries need to insure that they do so with the ability to SAFELY handle the firearm. I took my CPL class with a gentleman who shook consederably. It was not nervousness it was just that of a physical issue. He shot well and was able to safely handle his firearm.

You could also look into getting sights on the gun that you can place against a table top or similar item and simply push the gun down in order to rack the slide. This is common for those who only have limited use or use period of one hand.
    Last edited by nosights; January 19th, 2009 at 07:16 PM.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I had a Beretta Tomcat in .32 cal. It also has the tip up barrel, and double action first shot, so it wasn't necessay to rack the slide. Although the .32 may not be a terrific manstopper, any gun may be enough to dissuade a felon from carrying out his plan.

The .32 had very low recoil, was very accurate, and easy to shoot. It might work for you. Unfortunately, as a gun moves up in calber and power, so does the amount of effort it takes to rack the slide, due to the fact that the recoil springs are necessarily heavier.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    I would take another look at a revolver. There is little to be done about racking the slide on an auto. I would however keep in mind that you should be carrying with a round in the chamber. As silly as it sounds you could always have someone else aid you in getting the weapon ready.

Not to pick on you or question your readiness but EVERYONE who carries need to insure that they do so with the ability to SAFELY handle the firearm. I took my CPL class with a gentleman who shook consederably. It was not nervousness it was just that of a physical issue. He shot well and was able to safely handle his firearm.

You could also look into getting sights on the gun that you can place against a table top or similar item and simply push the gun down in order to rack the slide. This is common for those who only have limited use or use period of one hand.
    No offense nosights but to carry a gun you can't rack the slide on is dangerous to ones self. Should she have a failure to fire she will have to be able to rack in a new round. If no object is around to do this it would have to be done by hand. I think for your own safety you should try to become more proficient with a revolver.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

In answer to your question, you might look at the S&W model 3913 9mm or its economy version the S&W model 908. There is a version of the 3913 specifically for women, called the LadySmith 3913.

It's small but heavy enought that it should function even with a weaker grip ( the lighter the gun, the greater the need for a strong grip) , and it has a mechanical safety which would greatly help if you use the table technique nosights suggested. Also, once the gun is loaded, there is no need to repeatedly unload the round in the chamber to store it. Just put it on safe , remove the magazine , and lock it up. Next day, load the mag and put it off safe. You're ready to go.

Hope this is of use- conwic

There are a few thing you may look at.
    (1) increase the weight for the gun you buy, IE, look into
    medal frame gun because the weight absorbs more recoil.
    (2) ask what aftermarket grips are available so you the can
    hang onto the gun better , also soft rubber grips will also
    absorb recoil as well.
    (3) the slide on autos does absorb recoil as well ,so keep
    that in mind.
    (4)use lower grain ammo to lower recoil as well
    (5)use standard ,not +p to lower recoil
    By combining all five of these things you can do even better.
    Try renting a Bersa .380 plus ,its medal frame and 15 rounds
    adds weight and may work for you if you can rack the slide.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

melreneeb,

Have you tried this technique to rack the slide? It makes it a lot easier.

Cornered Cat - Rack the Slide

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    melreneeb,

Have you tried this technique to rack the slide? It makes it a lot easier.

Cornered Cat - Rack the Slide

Bobo
    +1
    its a good read
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

jfl
    I started to have O.A. in my strong hand; thought I'd have to give up the Glock; got a externally ported barrel, made a big difference and better velocity !!!
    Check this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ck-g-26-a.html

When I thought on going with a lesser gun, people here told me that a .380 would be worse than a 9mm because they are mostly blow-back.

Revolvers; did you try a single action ? They are usually made to "rotate" in the hand; I am more comfortable shooting my .44mag Ruger Blackhawk than my wife's S&W 5" Highway Patrolman in .357.

When there is a will, there is a way, hang on !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Thank you everyone for your advice.
    Nosights: I would never knowingly endanger myself or anyone else if I did not think I could control the gun. The main issues have lain in being able rack, and the recoil issues just cause me to have to compensate to maintain accuracy.

Freedomofchoice and ASSA9: I did plan on looking into the Tomcat because I'd heard good things about it, and your appraisal reconfirms it as something to consider. I hadn't considered a Bersa, but the more I try the better informed my ultimate decision will be.

BobO: I saw that article just today, but have not yet had a chance to see if the suggestions will work for me. I'll keep you posted.

jfl: Thank you, I never would have thought of doing a ported barrel on a Glock, but I do like the Glock so that's something I'm going to look more into. I know I don't like my mom's Ruger .357 but I haven't tried one in a different caliber.

One other thing to consider with a revolver is to buy a good one and then send or take it to a good gunsmith and have lighter springs installed and an action job done on it. One of the guns I regret ever getting rid of was a Model 19 S&W I had that had an action job done on it and it was butter smooth on the DA trigger pull. It's pretty incredible what a good gunsmith can do to the action of a production gun. The drawback is that unless you can find a good used one that has already been worked over, you have to spend the money on a new one to have the work done and then may still find it doesn't work well for you.

For autos, you can try and find a Beretta Model 86. I found a NIB one for my wife who also had problems with racking the slide of an auto. The 86 has a tip-up barrel and is chambered in 380. They have been out of production for a few years and so are getting harder to find, but they can be found.

One other to try would be the Walther PPS in 9mm. After finding the Beretta 86 for my wife, I bought a PPS for myself and while showing it to her, she racked the slide with virtually no effort and she claimed my new pistol. It may be something that you can work also.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    If I simply could not rack the slide I would go with a revolver. I think you could learn to be comfortable with one.
    Best,
    Jerry

Maybe somebody from DC can make a suggestion on a good Firearms instructor in your area. Together I am sure that you can come up with a good solution to your racking problem. I was taught as most people here how to drop the mag and reload and rack one handed with either my strong hand or support hand only, by using belt to catch the sights. Can also use side of almost anything a table (as stated earlier) to re-rack. It is important to watch where you are point the gun while re-loading. I think that if you follow the advice givien from Corned Cat it should work for you.

Links