Shot my XD45c and G21 side by side

This is a discussion on Shot my XD45c and G21 side by side within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went out with a couple friends this am and shot some skeet then went to my shooting range I built. I have noticed the sites ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Went out with a couple friends this am and shot some skeet then went to my shooting range I built. I have noticed the sites on my G21 are alot easier to pick up and shoot faster with. The XD45c ( which I love by the way) has Trijicon sites, they are good but alittle harder to pick up when running a timed evolution. Was thinking of changing to XS Big Dot configuration. I practice at close range 3-7 yrds, multiple IDPA targets and a string of 6 - 6" round steel knockdown target I made to finish off the timed evolution. I seem to be a little more accurate and faster with the Glock than with the XD compact. Even though the time and missed targets is only slightly lower, i think the XS sites might be the answer?????
    On a side note, any body have a comment on Gold Dots? I have all my pistols loaded with them, but in the XD they group about 2" high and 1" right at 10yrds. Cheepo Blazer FMJ group dead nuts (1" high). Still getting used to how the groups impact above the site line, not where the front dot is held. Dont get me wrong I am in no way bashing the 4" XD compact, I love it, carry it 99% of the time and dont plan on changing. It is one BA pistol. Any comments will be appreciated.

Nobody else have issues with Gold dots impacting differently in their XD?
    No Help with XS Big Dot decision?
    Last edited by im22sniper; January 19th, 2009 at 06:12 PM. Reason: re wording

I HIGHLY doubt it is the ammos fault that you are shooting off with the Gold Dots. Try again and this time have someone else load the gun, you fire not know what it is loaded with....see what happens then. Sorry, can't help on the sights
    Pray for our nations leaders!

I don't know specifically about the gold dots in the XD as I just put a few through mine (Brand new) over the weekend to see how they fed, flawlessly I might add. However, I do have a Taurus PT-99 that will ingest and belch anything I have ever fed it but it does show huge preferences to some loads over others. There might be something to that particular load that your weapon just doesn't like. Just my 2 cents.

So is this thread headed in the direction of the XD or the Glock as being the better pistol for you? Or is it about sights, or ammunition? In my opinion, you won't be bashing anything if you just tell the plain truth, and none of us will be disappointed either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    So is this thread headed in the direction of the XD or the Glock as being the better pistol for you? Or is it about sights, or ammunition? In my opinion, you won't be bashing anything if you just tell the plain truth, and none of us will be disappointed either way.
    I guess I had too many issues going on in one thread. The XD is a perfect fit for ME for concealed carry. Guess this one doesnt like Gold Dots as much as I wanted it to, perfectly reliable but not up to my standards. They would be great if I had adjustable sights to bring the groups down and over to where they belong. Guess I will try several other quality defensive loads to see which ones my gun likes. Any other bonded bullets you recommend?
    Also wanted to see who has tried Big Dots on a defensive sidearm and what they thought of them. I have read several threads on other sites about how they are no good for bullseye shooting. I am not interested that kind of shooting, this is not the gun for that anyway. Close-up, bad breath conflict is the most likely scenario. A front sight that is easy to pick up in a flash might be the ticket. What do you think?
    As for the Glock, If society falls apart.... I have a 100% reliable pistol that I dont need to conceal... The G21. I guess I have plenty of ammo for it now, it likes Gold Dots just fine. Not bashing either one, love them both. The XD compact is 100% reliable just like my Glock so far...it is just what I chose for CC. With Glock sights it would be PERFECT! (for me)

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I am planning to put some Big Dot Sights on my XD compact. As for the Gold Dots I have never tried them in my XD.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I have the XD45C and love it. The factory sights are terrible though. However it wasn't an issue as I put tritiums on all my pistols. On my XD I did put the 24/7 Big Dots and love them. The front sight is very quick to acquire. My groupings shrunk in size compared to the factory sights.
    My use for a pistol is the same as yours, defensive use. The Big Dots are perfect for this. I like the sights so much taht when I pick up a Glock 30 SF I'm going to put them on it to.

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    I have the XD45C and love it. The factory sights are terrible though. However it wasn't an issue as I put tritiums on all my pistols. On my XD I did put the 24/7 Big Dots and love them. The front sight is very quick to acquire. My groupings shrunk in size compared to the factory sights.
    My use for a pistol is the same as yours, defensive use. The Big Dots are perfect for this. I like the sights so much taht when I pick up a Glock 30 SF I'm going to put them on it to.
    Thanks for the info Remington. Was it fairly easy to adjust to the "dot the i" sight picture? Did you send the slide to Springfield to install or did you trust someone else?

I carry an XD.45 compact and agree the OEM sights suck. After going through several different sights I settled on TFO's. Seems some folks have had problems with the original versions but I have never had a problem with mine. Brilliant and glowing in all light conditions, bright sunlight dusk, dim light and total darkness. Big and bright for instant target acquisition. I have found they especially help with my follow up shots because the bright glow draws you eye right to them. I use the yellow rear and green front.
    LaserLyte makes a great little laser for your XD The new version allows you to retain your rail so you can throw a light of when you want
    I am a big fan of HST excellent terminal performance with consistent performance no matter what you shoot them into or through. Better than any other round I have tried or tested in my XD. 100% reliable and excellent accuracy. You may also want to consider a Springer Precision trigger job. Scot will give you a nice smooth 4.5 pound trigger. Than shorten the take up and reset to what you like. I like a bit of take up so I had him leave most of the take up and shorten the reset as short as possible
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I had a local smith install the sights for me. It took about an hour or so since the stock sights are on the pistol very tight. He ended up cutting the factory sights off. That was fine by me as I was just going to throw them out anyway. He charged $100 for the sights and install. I would pay someone to put your sights on.
    As far as ammo I can't say enough good things about the Federal HST's. They have to be one of the best rounds out there. They are leaps and bounds ahead of the Hydra Shoks. They switched to HSTs where I work after Hydra Shoks didn't perform as advertised. This was done after testing in conjunction with the city.

I forgot to mention, it's very easy to dot the i. The other thing I like about the Big Dots is point of aim = point of impact. It's more natural and faster for me. I've never liked the 6 o'clock hold that the factory sights come with.
    After using Trijicons on my other sidearm and similar sights on friends it took a few rounds to get used to the new sighting arrangement. After that it was second nature.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I had planned on including a box of HST's along with Golden Sabers and Rangers. I called Springfield today and I might send the whole gun to them for Big Dot install along with a box of Gold Dots for testing. They said about 2 weeks turn around and they will take it to the range for test firing/ sighting for GD's. It is another $65 for range testing but I have a strong preferance for GD's. All my auto are loaded with them. I may still go ahead and buy a box of HST's to try. testing on them look great.
    I also prefer POA = POI as opposed to 6 oclock, it doesnt seem natural to me, even though there are good arguments for it.

I didn't bother to have the sights adjusted to a specific ammo. At least for me with the variety of ammo I put through the XD before and after the sight change there was no difference. The smith just put the sights in the same spot that the factory sights were. Personally I'd save the $65 and buy more ammo or mags and put some rounds down range to smooth things out.
    Plus you'll get used to the sights and it's more fun.

XS Big Dots

I have the XD45C w/the Big Dots and they are perfect for your needs.
    Very quick acquisition of target! It took me a couple of trips to the range to get used to them but they are really accurate at 7 yards.
    Nothing wrong w/the SGDs. Them and the Remington Golden Saber are probably the easiest to get these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links