.38 special vs Kel Tec for CCW

This is a discussion on .38 special vs Kel Tec for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well as I am on the road travelling I had to stop several places to fuel up. They looked great from the highway but, when ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: .38 special vs Kel Tec for CCW

Well as I am on the road travelling I had to stop several places to fuel up. They looked great from the highway but, when I got off the overpass things started to look a little shady.

I put my small canister of Sabered in my front pocket and filled up my tank and paid. Several times today I kept thinking..I really wish I had my CHL/CCW.

I need something that I will carry around all the time on my person. I know its not a lot of firepower compared to other handguns but I am seriously thinking of getting the .380 from Kel Tec for concealed carry use.

Anyone think this is a good idea. I even thought about getting a .38 special revolver.

Which would you guys pick? .38 revolver or .380 Kel Tec?

jfl
    S&W has a small .357 revolver that packs a big punch; the "scandium" version is extremely light, that's my wife carry gun with 3" barrel; it also comes in a 1 7/8 barrel if I remember.
    Same size than the .38 special and twice the punch.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Between the two? The kel-tec. You will always carry it with you. You won't even know it's there. You will definately notice the .38. I had an ultra-lite .38 which was light enough but I found it to be just to bulky. If you can stand the size and weight of a .38, then get the Kel-tec 9mm (PF9). Slightly larger than the .380 but more power. Good luck with your CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

Have both, but find that the .38 is in the cabinet and the kel-tec is in my pocket, daily.

Agree with cv7713 on the 9mm. Carry mine anytime conditions allow, in conjunction with my P3AT.

Do not even know the P3AT is there.
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

In my experience the Keltec or new LCP from Ruger is the easiest gun to have with you all the time, except in the shower or swimming pool. It is small, thin & very light weight. I've got a J frame revolver too , but it is not as easy to conceal as the Keltec/LCP, which you can slip easily in your pocket in a small holster. My favorite is the DeSantis Super Fly with side panel. There is no give away outline of the gun printing through your pocket and you can switch the panel to left or right, if you change pockets. My Keltec & LCP are the guns I can have on me all the time, when my Glock just isn't practical.

For your first, I would start out with a subcompact like a Glock and a good holster belt combo. If you're set on those two - I'd get the snub.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member
    While a wheel gun will have more POP and be somewhat more reliable, it's the Kel-Tec or LCP that will always be with you because it is soooo much easier to carry.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I just bought a S&W 642 - .38 spl +p. It's about half the cost of the .357. I carry it in a Galco pocket holster and I truly forget it is there. And I don't think the Galco is the best choice of holster. I personaly prefer th reliability factor of the revolver over the Keltec.

I've owned both a small snubbie and the P3AT. I currently still own the P3AT. I give a vote for a small sub-compact 9mm such as a Glock 26 if it's going to be your only gun. They can be very easily concealed (take a Smart Carry for instance) in a number of ways. Heck, some folks pocket carry their sub-compacts. BUT, if it's only between the J-Frame or the P3AT, I vote for the P3AT, it really will go anywhere with you. Most folks will recommend a Desantis Nemesis or a Fist #K5, either way the P3AT will completely disappear in almost any pocket.

Many people will try and scare you away from the Kel-Tec with horror stories of failures and unreliability, etc. The newer generations do not have these problems from what I've seen and heard. I know mine has never failed whatsoever in over 700 rounds and counting, that's without cleaning for a few hundred also (not recommended).
    Last edited by j21blackjack; January 19th, 2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: More info

I have both and I choose a P3AT in a pocket.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Another vote for the P3AT, its always with you! But I do have the 2nd generation and did have a unexplained total failure after about 200 rounds. I sent it in for repair and since then it's been perfect and will fire any round I feed it. Yes, I've shot it enough to have confidence in it now. Whatever you choose, shoot it a bunch and be real familiar with it. Good luck!

Carry them both.... one in the pocket, one on the ankle.

My vote is for the JFrame or a SubCompact 9mm. Unless you go shirtless all the time you will find that even a very small person can conceal a Full Framed weapon quite easily with the right holster and clothing. A Tshirt will conceal ALOT with a IWB holster.

I think that the .380 is quite light for a deffesive round, but if it is that or a sharp stick...then it depends on how good of a stick it is...
    Pray for our nations leaders!

I have 2 KelTek's 32 for my wife, and a 380 for me. Also have a S&W 642. The only time a carry the 380 is if I'm wearing shorts, or close fitting blue jeans. Other than that I usually carry my smith. If weather is cool enough, I carry a Sig on my belt. I carry depending on how I dress.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post
    ... I carry depending on how I dress.
    Thats funy, I dress depending on how I carry.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links