Buying USED...Dun duh dunnnn!

This is a discussion on Buying USED...Dun duh dunnnn! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As always, I have lots of questions. What are the possible places where a person would find used handguns? Where is the best place to ...

Thread: Buying USED...Dun duh dunnnn!

As always, I have lots of questions.

What are the possible places where a person would find used handguns?

Where is the best place to look for used handguns (your opinion and explanation)?

What steps can I take to ensure that the used handgun I am looking at will perform as it should? Besides "take it to a gunsmith," what specific things might you look for?

Any advice about what to stay away from? I realize that this can be as helpful as what to look for.

Thanks for your insight!

--FD

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I buy used guns on the internet by gathering as much info as I can then hold my breath. So far so good. The big three aution sites as well as forums are good place to shop for used guns.

Your local gun store probably has a fine supply.

Search the internet for a gun show in your area.

Some of my best used buys have been found in Gander Mountain.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeDelivery View Post
    As always, I have lots of questions.

What are the possible places where a person would find used handguns?

Where is the best place to look for used handguns (your opinion and explanation)?

What steps can I take to ensure that the used handgun I am looking at will perform as it should? Besides "take it to a gunsmith," what specific things might you look for?

Any advice about what to stay away from? I realize that this can be as helpful as what to look for.

Thanks for your insight!

--FD
    Best way to do it is to find sellers in your state that y ou can go meet face to face and they will allow you to fire the weapon before you buy.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

VIP Member
    Depends on if your talking revolver or semi auto.

In a revolver cock the hammer and check for slop in cylinder, if sloppy cylinder may not be properly aligning with forcing cone of barrel. I'd also drop a pencil down the barrel, eraser end first then dry fire it, see if the pencil pops up out of the barrel. If not the firing pin may be damaged and not striking the primer.

In a semi check the slide to frame fit, check for excessive slop in slide to frame. Check to insure all safeties are working properly, if a decocker make sure it is working. Make sure slide locks back when mag is empty, if it is suppose to. I'm sure others will add other things to check.

Best case is to be able to shoot the gun before buying. If that is not possible get it in writing that you can return the gun within XX number of days if there is a problem with it. Make sure it is signed by the owner or manager of the store. I would try to do any second hand gun deals at a range if they have a consignment/used gun section.

I've bought 2 guns off gunbroker.com-a special weapons sw5 and my xd40. I got the xd40 for a great price brand new with all the extras that go with them for $325+ shipping. I haven't been burned yet(knock on wood) but sometimes you can find some good deals on there. Most dealers I see have a inspection period so if you don't like what you got you can return it, But can't fire it. Its also a good place to check prices for what you're looking for.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Depends on if your talking revolver or semi auto.

In a revolver cock the hammer and check for slop in cylinder, if sloppy cylinder may not be properly aligning with forcing cone of barrel. I'd also drop a pencil down the barrel, eraser end first then dry fire it, see if the pencil pops up out of the barrel. If not the firing pin may be damaged and not striking the primer.

In a semi check the slide to frame fit, check for excessive slop in slide to frame. Check to insure all safeties are working properly, if a decocker make sure it is working. Make sure slide locks back when mag is empty, if it is suppose to. I'm sure others will add other things to check.

Best case is to be able to shoot the gun before buying. If that is not possible get it in writing that you can return the gun within XX number of days if there is a problem with it. Make sure it is signed by the owner or manager of the store. I would try to do any second hand gun deals at a range if they have a consignment/used gun section.
    Good suggestions, besides the local shops I have gotten some of my best deals at pawn shops.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I've bought most of my guns from my local pawn shops, used and new. The pawn shops around here have a 7 day return policy for used guns too, so if it's broke I can take it back. I've also traded with a member of this forum, and bought/sold on gun auction sites. Do your research, ask questions, pay attention to the details and you should be fine.

Buying used from Gander Mountain, they have already cleaned and certfied the gun and will fix it free for 1 year. Included is membership to their gun club which gives a few other perks as well.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Sponsored Links